Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Interesting comment regarding the class action suit. Trust me, I was well aware of the book cooking and worked through all of the executive turnover but your friend is a little late in getting in on the book cooking. They have had an on-site government auditor, a fully completed deferred prosecution and have churned through the CFO and COO positions while the offenders are now off to jail. I thought the major shareholder suit was completed and the government had spoken. Interesting Enron comment...I am not a CA cheerleader or naysayer but the common misconception is that their financial woes were like Enron. Quite the contrary. All of those deals where done, and the money was 95% real, the top execs simply moved the needle on when to recognize it to pad theirs, and Wall Streets, wallets. In their restatements some of the financial quarters went UP 300+ million...But that is not the point of this thread, so I digress.

As for defense/government contract companies, BAE Systems and Telephonics and Northrop do have a medium presence on the island at present, but if the party in the White House changes so might the government contract gravy train. And Lockheed, who had a large presence in Uniondale, has been whittling down their employee base over the past couple of years, along with Dell Labs who has recently moved their admin operations down south. The irony to Clam's point is that these companies move to nowhere PA and South Carolina, Virginia (not Balt/DC areas, same expense issue) and desperately seek educated professionals or constantly churn through uneducated employee ranks. Which often causes customer service to slack, business to leave them and the expense of replacing employees is very costly. It rarely works as efficiently as they predict, with a lot of pain in the transition. Also as an aside, Mr. Softy runs its a small regional security product group out of Northport as well. Would love to see more of that here.

Pall, Lux and Aceto are all in financial stress at the moment, with Pall having recently announced downsizing this year.
I know quite a few people (VPs)over there who said they'd been selling vaporware for years.
Call it what you want ...but where theres smoke theres fire.

I think youre right about PA SC and Virginia but if you wanna see big n dumb, check out Overland Park Kansas/Sprint HQ.
Golly Cooter!

If were just a little more commerce friendly tax wise Im confident we'd have better paying jobs on LI.

Silicon Island?

Why not?

If you think cost of livings rough here....try San Jose.

C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 05:07 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
Clammy, it's not just Long Island for too much talent, too little wages, high cost of living.

Vermont is lovely (we're on the border of VT/NH) and 90% of the jobs are so low paying that they want you to kiss their butts for $10 an hour. It's possible to make 'good money' here but it takes a long time and I suppose most people know someone to get into the major companies (Dartmouth College and Hospital). It can take years of waiting to get jobs there.

I know my husband tried to get into CA for years but it was not happening. They supposedly had lots of perks--a gym, and childcare, and so on. (I even tried to get a job there with my teaching degree.)

I'm afraid this lack of best employers is all over the USA. sigh.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:06 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,142,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
The irony to Clam's point is that these companies move to nowhere PA and South Carolina, Virginia (not Balt/DC areas, same expense issue) and desperately seek educated professionals or constantly churn through uneducated employee ranks. Which often causes customer service to slack, business to leave them and the expense of replacing employees is very costly. It rarely works as efficiently as they predict, with a lot of pain in the transition.
You mean nowhere places in VA like Arlington, Springfield, Fairfax, Manassas and Clifton? Yeah by golly we be no havin much of them dar edjukated profeshinals down hea in the South. Must be we only go to skuul to the aith grade and don't have no gud colodges down here.

One thing that works against the Island is many people on LI figure they're smarter than those southern hicks or those mid-west bumpkins. Guess what guys, that's never been true, and whatever edge LI had has eroded away. So enjoy that indoor ski park where F-14s used to fly while those hillbillies are eating your lunch. At least you still have North Folk Bank. Whoops I mean Capital One (of Arlington and Richmond VA) Bank. Darn those hillbillies they're doing it again.

Anyway Long Island has been in a tough spot since at least the mid-eighties when it was becoming tough to get engineers and tech folks to move to the place. The reasons were the same then as they are now; housing, enough pay for a good standard of living and traffic. (I learned that while driving the top brass of Norden Systems around LI). No one could figure out what to do then either except to close up shop on LI and move to where they could get people. Eventually business will follow the brains.

Quote:
First, LIA Chief Economist Pearl Kamer delivered the bad news. Ignoring the migration of the young from Long Island, and based solely on the effects of the older generation retiring, Long Island will not have enough people to fill all of its jobs, including labor, by 2018.

However, during the 1990s, Long Island lost 128,284 people between the ages of 20 years old and 30 years old, and from 2000 to 2005, Long Island shed 87,325 people between 25 years old to 40 years old from its population. If you factor in that trend, Long Island will not be able to sustain existing jobs almost immediately.
New York state's First Lady tackles brain drain Long Island Business News - Find Articles

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 09-28-2007 at 07:15 PM..

Old 09-28-2007, 07:33 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,124 times
Years ago Entemann truck drivers made a good coin as did beer truck drivers.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
You mean nowhere places in VA like Arlington, Springfield, Fairfax, Manassas and Clifton? Yeah by golly we be no havin much of them dar edjukated profeshinals down hea in the South. Must be we only go to skuul to the aith grade and don't have no gud colodges down here.

One thing that works against the Island is many people on LI figure they're smarter than those southern hicks or those mid-west bumpkins. Guess what guys, that's never been true, and whatever edge LI had has eroded away. So enjoy that indoor ski park where F-14s used to fly while those hillbillies are eating your lunch. At least you still have North Folk Bank. Whoops I mean Capital One (of Arlington and Richmond VA) Bank. Darn those hillbillies they're doing it again.

Anyway Long Island has been in a tough spot since at least the mid-eighties when it was becoming tough to get engineers and tech folks to move to the place. The reasons were the same then as they are now; housing, enough pay for a good standard of living and traffic. (I learned that while driving the top brass of Norden Systems around LI). No one could figure out what to do then either except to close up shop on LI and move to where they could get people. Eventually business will follow the brains.

New York state's First Lady tackles brain drain Long Island Business News - Find Articles
I think he meant real VA not the DC burbs guy.

Reston was the Levittown of the 90s

C

Old 09-28-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Clammy, it's not just Long Island for too much talent, too little wages, high cost of living.

Vermont is lovely (we're on the border of VT/NH) and 90% of the jobs are so low paying that they want you to kiss their butts for $10 an hour. It's possible to make 'good money' here but it takes a long time and I suppose most people know someone to get into the major companies (Dartmouth College and Hospital). It can take years of waiting to get jobs there.

I know my husband tried to get into CA for years but it was not happening. They supposedly had lots of perks--a gym, and childcare, and so on. (I even tried to get a job there with my teaching degree.)

I'm afraid this lack of best employers is all over the USA. sigh.
We resemble California is so many ways, just not in suburban corporate opportunities.

Maybe theyre right in having little or no public transportation.

Traffic forces them to adapt outside of the Metro areas.

C

Old 09-28-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
I think he meant real VA not the DC burbs guy.

Reston was the Levittown of the 90s

C
Whadayamean the real VA?

Old 09-29-2007, 09:33 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,884 times
Quote:
Whadayamean the real VA?

Thanks for clarifying on my behalf Clammy..if you read my comments I exclude the major metro region of DC/Balt. Tough times staffing call centers outside urban centers like Salisbury and Chesapeake, VA...ugh.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:38 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,884 times
Quote:
Whadayamean the real VA?
And as one other aside Mr. Clark Street...I am not a Long Island or New York native (been here about a decade....lost a bet, long story ). I do not fall in the camp that thinks all new yorkers are smarter than everyone else, I've simply had tough times staffing up areas in some of the pockets I mentioned. Particularly when needing folks with at least a 4 year degree and some prior experience at another large organization. The pool gets very thin outside of most major metro pockets. There are exceptions though. Missouri springs to mind...seriously.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:06 AM

Of course it gets thin outside of the major metro areas, most professionals will go where the jobs they want are, even if they choose to live in the sticks (which LI once was). I know many people who commute to Richmond, NOVA and Virginia Beach from Charlottesville, Chesapeake, Williamsburg and even places with names such as Beaver Dam and Bumpass because they want a rural life style (which LI once provided to city workers). It's a heck of a nice option to have and one that LI can't really compete with any longer.

I forgot about Sybari being bought by MS. Has Sybari grown under MS as a Long Island employer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island