Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:58 PM

674 posts, read 1,155,952 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have many squirrels outside my home, they are destroying my home, they eat my garbage, they are in my attic. I did buy animal traps. I did catch few of them and I drove few miles to drop them. But they keep coming back.... now I am ready to kill the squirrels.

Any of you guys have or had this problem? How to get rid out the squirrels.

I need something heavy duty, animal traps is not going to work for me.
I need some kind of squirrel poison?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 01:01 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,708,355 times
They found a home in my attic too. The exterminating company hasnt been able to trap them yet. They did tell me they do not let them go. They kill them. That's ok with me. They are rodents and need to be destroyed. They have no business on Long Island destroying people's home and happiness.

I think rat poison will work. Mix it with some peanut butter.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:43 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,763,579 times
If you kill them, you may end up with dead squirrels in inacessable areas of your home. Not a pleasant smell. I would call in a professional exterminator. They will also show you where they are getting in so that you can fortify against further infestations.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:43 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
weird. the house I grew up in was on property with 15 or so trees LOADED with squirrels and they never made any attempt to come anywhere near the house.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:46 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,708,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
weird. the house I grew up in was on property with 15 or so trees LOADED with squirrels and they never made any attempt to come anywhere near the house.
Was your house guarded by kids with BB guns? LOL

Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,708,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
They found a home in my attic too. The exterminating company hasnt been able to trap them yet. They did tell me they do not let them go. They kill them. That's ok with me. They are rodents and need to be destroyed. They have no business on Long Island destroying people's home and happiness.

You may end up taking out a few stray cats and rabbits too.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Hi,

I have many squirrels outside my home, they are destroying my home, they eat my garbage, they are in my attic. I did buy animal traps. I did catch few of them and I drove few miles to drop them. But they keep coming back.... now I am ready to kill the squirrels.

Any of you guys have or had this problem? How to get rid out the squirrels.

I need something heavy duty, animal traps is not going to work for me.
I need some kind of squirrel poison?

Thanks.
See the gopher scenes in Caddyshack!

Seriously, it may be against the law to leave poison outside that unintended animals and children can get into.

A couple of years ago, a former neighbor suspected someone (she didn't know who) in the neighborhood of putting out poison for cats and she photocopied a law about it and "mailed" it to everyone in a two-block radius. (The mailman delivered the letters for her for free - no stamps - since he doesn't like people hurting animals either! )

Old 03-29-2012, 02:09 PM

407 posts, read 1,559,208 times
I also had a horrible squirrel problem in the attic (flying squirrels), but I hired a company to come in and remove them (humanely, no poison). They checked the the house from roof to basement to see where they were getting in and spent hours attaching construction cloth over all the areas to seal them up. They then put in two "one-way" doors for the critters to get out. It took about a week, but the last one left and could not get back in. At that point the company came in, cleaned out ALL the mess (droppings, shredded insulation, etc), cleaned and disinfected the area, put in new treated insulation throughout the attic, and sealed up the two exits.

It's been two years - not only do I not have any unwanted guests camped out in the attic, my house is much warmer in the winter with the new improved insulation!

I wish you luck with your unwanted tenants!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:34 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,708,355 times
Everyone knows God's Chosen are only from Selden.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:57 PM

863 posts, read 2,108,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post

They live on Longisland too. I don't have a problem killing them but I think they have as much right as anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island