Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 06:27 AM

3 posts, read 9,205 times

Advertisements

The challenger league is for baseball. Most of the soccer clubs are very accomodating, which is very good for kids with pdd, aspbergers. The special needs cheer is at Platinum athletics in wantagh ny and is held on thursday nights from 4:30 to 5:30. They have a few compititions for specail needs in the spring. My daughter loves it and I believe boys can also join as well.

As for little village, there is a huge waiting list, and nassau has lots of other great special needs schools. this is how the process works. If your child is over 3, you enroll in the district you move into, they will evaluate your child, be prepared to push and push for more services. Then if they feel that the district cannot meet your childs needs, they will refer you to a list of schools such as little village. Then you will visit the schools yourself and then apply to get in. Keep in mind all the schools pretty much have a wait list. A lot of parents are coming to this area because of the high concentration of special schools and even nyc doesn't offer what long island offers!

The levittown school district is one of the best for services. There are parts of wantagh and seaford you can move to and still be in the levittown school district. Just something to keep in mind. East meadow and massapequa does offer a lot as well.

As for kids with pdd/aspberger, most likely they will be put into the regular district schools. They do offer a lot of services. The districts realized that it is more cost effective and better for the children if they are with other students from their local area. Why pay to send a child to a school when they could just hire people and do the same thing and also have the children mingle with typical children from their own district?

Don't get discouraged and remember you may have to put up a huge fight to get what you want. From what I've been told, the squeeky wheel gets the grease. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
Good to know. I have heard wonderful things about Little Village. We will be moving within the next 2 months, either Nassau or West Suffolk. Looking in several towns, and just haven't found the right house yet. If we end up in Nassau then our youngest son will likely go to Little Village.

We have several kids with special needs. Where were you able to find adaptive baseball and cheerleading? Is this baseball team through the Little League Challenger division? Any info you can provide re: the baseball and cheerleading would be much appreciated. You can also DM me if you want. Thanks!

And you are so right about kids with Asperger's. One of our sons has Aspergers and is extremely bright and has so much potential. However, without the proper services, it can be so easy for these kids to fall through the cracks and flounder, especially once they hit grades 3-5 where more abstract thinking skills are required. And of course, socialization is a major concern as well with these kiddos, which oftentimes gets overlooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 01:19 PM

9 posts, read 12,643 times
I'm so glad i stumbled across this, thread, we just recently move to Long Island (Bayport) from queens,..we have a son that has delays, has gone thru E.I/CPSE and has been in a co-teaching class w/related services since kindergarten...
If anyone out there can pls give advice/thoughts on bayport-bluepoint school district we would appriciate it..His 2nd grade sp ed teacher is from deer park and thought it to be an excellent S.D... does anyone agree??

also i keep reading about BOCSES (?) what is this?? coming from the city, I can't recall ever hearing this term.
thanks for any help

Old 08-31-2012, 01:38 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,707,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINA ROS View Post
I'm so glad i stumbled across this, thread, we just recently move to Long Island (Bayport) from queens,..we have a son that has delays, has gone thru E.I/CPSE and has been in a co-teaching class w/related services since kindergarten...
If anyone out there can pls give advice/thoughts on bayport-bluepoint school district we would appriciate it..His 2nd grade sp ed teacher is from deer park and thought it to be an excellent S.D... does anyone agree??

also i keep reading about BOCSES (?) what is this?? coming from the city, I can't recall ever hearing this term.
thanks for any help

Its BOCES - Board of Cooperative Educational Services. In other words, shared school services for several districts.

if you son is in 2nd grade now, you should have a CSE eval that outlines his goals and his teaching plan.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:18 PM

377 posts, read 644,662 times
I have heard good things about Bayport. They have the PALS program, which is their self contained program, which is great. I am in Sayville, and the special ed has always been pretty much nonexistent/substandard here. Many of the Sayville parents have pushed to have their kids placed in the program at Bayport. In fact, many of the Sayville SEPTA parents, including the president of Sayville SEPTA herself do not have their kids attending Sayville schools, but their kids attend Bayport instead.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,598 times
Farmingdale school district is not meeting my sons needs. I am looking into other districts as we can't do this anymore. I have seen that Bethpage, Plainview, and Levittown are very good. My son is legally blind and severe ADHD. I am hiring an attorney to fight to get out.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,527 times
I am curious as to how Syosset rates now (when I went through old posts here the last time it was mentioned was in 2007). My son has speech, OT, PT delays with sensory and social issues. He is currently going to special ed preschool in Bellmore (Syosset SD sent him there). But he is eligible to start kindergarten next fall (Baylis) and I'm worried how well they will be able to provide the services at the school and handle his delays. I need to figure out eventually if I should hold him a year (and I'm not sure if the SD will give me issues with still providing him services if I do) or letting him start kindergarten and seeing how that goes.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,450 times
Default Special Ed in East Islip, West Islip, Babylon, or Sayville?

My son has apraxia of speech and is in need of special services. He is already classified now and has been getting great services from Miller Place, but I have to move to the south shore next year.

I am looking into the areas to buy a house in one of the following areas.

Massapequa, East Islip, West Islip, Sayville, or Babylon (not north or west babylon)

I already understand that Massapequa is very good, but want to know about the other 4 areas I picked out above. Also if any other school districts in that south shore area (from Massapequa to Sayville)that are good school districts that you would recommend. These are the ones that stood out to me at first look, but I realize I may have missed some.

So any opinions on these? Thank u.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:18 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,952 times
I have a question about North Babylon: it was said before that NB lets its special ed kids go to different school districts...but are they still counted as NB students? Because North Babylon's fiscal supplement says that 17.2% of it students are special ed (that's VERY high)...https://reportcards.nysed.gov/files/...0103030000.pdf

Old 10-29-2012, 05:10 PM

377 posts, read 644,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol99999 View Post
My son has apraxia of speech and is in need of special services. He is already classified now and has been getting great services from Miller Place, but I have to move to the south shore next year.

I am looking into the areas to buy a house in one of the following areas.

Massapequa, East Islip, West Islip, Sayville, or Babylon (not north or west babylon)

I already understand that Massapequa is very good, but want to know about the other 4 areas I picked out above. Also if any other school districts in that south shore area (from Massapequa to Sayville)that are good school districts that you would recommend. These are the ones that stood out to me at first look, but I realize I may have missed some.

So any opinions on these? Thank u.
I live in Sayville. LOVE THE TOWN, but the district is not really great when it comes to services...sadly. We are planning a move to Massapequa if our new house is still standing after this storm (wish I were kidding). Lindenhurst is supposed to also have good services. And just west of Massapequa, Bellmore and Merrick have excellent services.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 15,643 times
Any feedback on Island Park School District for Special Ed ? I know they have a self contained class they just started last year. I believe they group K-2 together ? Any info would be fantastic, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island