Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 04:04 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times

Advertisements

The business I work for is closing tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 04:10 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,808,504 times
My office is advising everyone who can to work from home. I had already planned on doing that

Northport schools closed Monday and Tuesday.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:16 PM

216 posts, read 446,217 times
I work in a small office in on Nassau/Suffolk border and got the call the office is closed Monday!

Old 10-28-2012, 04:33 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
Any other sites that have school closings? I don't get channel 12 because I am a fios customer. I checked fios 1 news website and they don't have as much schools listed like channel 7 does.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:42 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
Copiague UFSD closed Monday and Tuesday yay! I don't have to get up early and go into work

Old 10-28-2012, 04:51 PM

418 posts, read 1,070,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I totally agree. If there is a hurricane or a blizzard, I'm not going. I will never understand the morons who will drive in a blizzard just to get to some job when there are states of emergency declared and the news is telling everyone that the police have asked people to stay off the roads unless it's an emergency. Imbeciles who put their lives and others' lives in danger just to get to their job to show what a wonderful employee they are. There is a guy on my job who actually stayed in a hotel the night before a blizzard so he would be able to get to work! He spent money out of his own pocket for a hotel room and meals just to come to work (and not make enough to even justify staying in the hotel!)

I wonder if these jerks realize that, if they die, the company will replace them in the blink of an eye and probably do nothing for the family you leave behind other than a condolence card and some face time at your wake?
Ok, "morons, imbeciles and jerks" - maybe a bit strong?
Believe it or not, some of us actually care and love what we do for a living, as rare as it may be. Others may have other motives.

Stony Brook University is closed (no classes), but I will go in tomorrow, conditions permitting, since there are a number of things to take care of. A lot of our equipment is not on emergency power, so I have to preempt losing stuff due to power outage at the university. Similarly, small business owners probably are not thrilled to have a day (or days) off...

Old 10-28-2012, 04:53 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Any other sites that have school closings? I don't get channel 12 because I am a fios customer. I checked fios 1 news website and they don't have as much schools listed like channel 7 does.
Try Newsday.com

Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Try Newsday.com
Or WALK 97.5 website

Old 10-28-2012, 05:07 PM

112 posts, read 257,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I totally agree. If there is a hurricane or a blizzard, I'm not going. I will never understand the morons who will drive in a blizzard just to get to some job when there are states of emergency declared and the news is telling everyone that the police have asked people to stay off the roads unless it's an emergency. Imbeciles who put their lives and others' lives in danger just to get to their job to show what a wonderful employee they are.
WOW! A bit harsh there aren't we?

Have you ever stopped to think that there are some of us who work for companies that are necessary regardless of the weather? Working for the gas and electric utility we can't just take off because it's a bit windy, rainy or snowing. I'm thinking that folks like yourself would be the first to cry because they have no gas/electric and no one is there to help them. Folks don't like it if we tell'em that there's nobody here to fix their utilities because all our employees stayed home due to the bad weather. Try and remember that there are ALOT of people that need to go to work regardless of the weather or if it's a Holiday. Work on Christmas, 4th of July or what have you it's part of the job. This is not a complaint, just a statement of fact. I actually like what I do.

Lighten up there bud, the "moron" or "imbecile" on the road might just be the guy who's climbing the pole to get YOUR electric restored, working on pipes to get YOUR gas/heat back in service or doing one of many jobs that need to stay manned 24/7 to maintain the services on this Island we call home....

Old 10-28-2012, 05:29 PM

245 posts, read 495,793 times
Lubby news12.com and/or cablevision is available to all customers and non customers through the storm, that was an e-mail I received earlier. Islip schools are closed Monday & Tuesday. Stony Brook is closed Monday not sure about Tuesday I'll have to get my college boy back there someday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island