Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 AM

241 posts, read 732,740 times

Advertisements

The schools, the community, commute, transportation, ammenities etc. How good is their school system? What do kids do for fun in hamlet that is so far removed? Please tell everything...The good,the bad,and the ugly. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 05:03 PM

bump. anyone?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:07 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Very good school district, not inexpensive. Mostly beautiful. A few, very few, undesirable streets - the high number streets on the North side of Forrest Ave. Especially 13th. Always been seedy.

Although it is quintessentially "North Shore" it technically does not have a coast. People from LV can always use the beach near Morgan's Park due to an agreement made a long time ago between the Morgans and the city of Glen Cove. It was supposed to be for 100 years, which I think is over; but they've grandfathered it in, I believe.

If you live there, most of your shopping will be done in neighboring Glen Cove. There is very little in LV, with the exception of boutiques, art galleries, restaurants etc.

Very pretty village. The place looks more like a high end Westchester village than Long Island.

Mixed construction. From 1800s, 1920s 1930s, a couple of 1950s 60s developments (one near the Library with splits - typically LI) and some newer construction.

No condos, co-ops or apartments. Rentals are whole house, generally near the train station - south of Forrest, or in garage apartments or cottages.

Because of it's reputation as a very wealthy place, and the outstanding schools, expect to pay slightly more than you would for a home in near by Oyster Bay or Glen Cove.

I hope this helps. If you have specific questions, please ask.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:58 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,658 times
Is it true there are a lot of locusts there?

Old 05-18-2012, 11:37 AM

Yes. Swarms.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:12 PM

How painful is the commute to Penn?

Old 05-18-2012, 12:53 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,039,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Is it true there are a lot of locusts there?
Yes, locust trees.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:08 PM

Not terrible. It's the Oyster Bay line so you do have to change at Jamaica. It's a pleasant ride.

As to your questions about what kids do for fun in a hamlet so far removed, there is plenty to do in the North Shore's far North Hamlets. Having grown up in one, I can say that I had no envy what so ever for people who grew up near the Turnpike or the Expressway or "The Malls."

Not sure how old your children are, but there are many sports teams in the area, independent of schools. The Boys and Girls Club in LV also has many activities, as does the YMCA in nearby Glen Cove.

The library also has events for children of many ages. Locust Valley children have always enjoyed bike riding and exploring the many woods that are still untouched in the area. My husband still talkes about the beauty of Shu Swamp, Morgan's Park and the beach. Beaver Dam is also nearby, pretty to look at but I am sure they don't permit ice skating any more. We used to like to catch and release tad poles and frogs.

In Glen Cove there are small museums near Morgan's Park - one a natural history museum and there is also a Holocaust Museum.

Glen Cove is where teens and tweens go to the movies and Pizza - big multiplex there, and begin their teen social lives.

All of the activities that I gave you are either free or very low in cost.
Some parents opt for a month or several weeks at Day Camp in the summer. There are several around. The school district may also have some summer programs.

Many people have homes with swimming pools also, so visiting one another's homes is another favorite summer activity.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes. Swarms.
Being sarcastic. There are no plagues of locusts there, and the name does refer to the tree, not the insect.

Here is a link to the Greenville Baker Boys and Girls Club of Locust Valley, which has been around since the 1940s to amuse and entertain area youth.

Grenville Baker Boys & Girls Club

Old 05-18-2012, 02:22 PM

Sheena12 Thank you so much for your responses. We have two kids who will be going to school in a few years. We are very much city people where Manhattan is our yard and we take advantage of all it's amenities. I am afraid that I will go stir crazy in LV. My husband and I are not used to such quiet and isolation. We love the abundant natural beauty in LV but we also love the hustle and bustle of the city.

From what I understand it takes 1.5 hrs to Penn. Is that accurate? I have heard many refer to the OB branch of the LIRR as the stepchild of all branches with recently reduced service. Also I hear that it is unreliable with frequent cancellations. If we move this far north, I want good accessibilty to the city for work and pleasure. This is why we are primarily considering on the PW line. Evetually I want my kids to venture into Manhattan on their own like DH and I did when we were young. This is important to me and DH. That alone may tell us that LV may not be our best pick and stay with PW line... Sorry for babbling my inner thoughts. I am grateful for any additional feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island