Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 08:06 PM

13 posts, read 14,941 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

Born and raised on LI, but currently live out of state. Learned to drive in western Nassau, and fairly familiar with the LI driving paradigm, or at least I thought I was. I'm here for Thanksgiving after being away for a couple of months and the degradation of road safety is shocking. In all my years of driving on LI and most of the rest of the country, I could have never imagined much less have seen such awful and dangerous driving as I have in the last 48 hrs. I've seen people passing stopped cars at traffic lights, driving opposite of one-ways, at least a dozen blatantly blown red lights, and aggression at a whole new level. Even seen an 80 yo woman nearly mowed down in a crosswalk by someone passing a yielding car at 2x the speed limit on the shoulder. In almost all cases, the drivers are 20 something females. It wasn't anywhere near this bad the last time I was here. The cops just sit and watch to boot. I realize tensions are high with Sandy, but I'm not sure that explains it. What happened? It's become a truly life threatening experience to drive anywhere here anymore. Less than zero courtesy, and those that do try to be courteous are instantly and brutally punished. It's like driving in Taipei out here, but instead of motorcycles its wall to wall BMWs and Hyundais. Have traffic laws been suspended or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 08:11 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,673 times
Them illegals and those people who can't put the dam phone down !!!!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:55 PM

339 posts, read 933,741 times
People don't care.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:31 PM

8 posts, read 14,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitmanGuy83 View Post
Hey all.

Born and raised on LI, but currently live out of state. Learned to drive in western Nassau, and fairly familiar with the LI driving paradigm, or at least I thought I was. I'm here for Thanksgiving after being away for a couple of months and the degradation of road safety is shocking. In all my years of driving on LI and most of the rest of the country, I could have never imagined much less have seen such awful and dangerous driving as I have in the last 48 hrs. I've seen people passing stopped cars at traffic lights, driving opposite of one-ways, at least a dozen blatantly blown red lights, and aggression at a whole new level. Even seen an 80 yo woman nearly mowed down in a crosswalk by someone passing a yielding car at 2x the speed limit on the shoulder. In almost all cases, the drivers are 20 something females. It wasn't anywhere near this bad the last time I was here. The cops just sit and watch to boot. I realize tensions are high with Sandy, but I'm not sure that explains it. What happened? It's become a truly life threatening experience to drive anywhere here anymore. Less than zero courtesy, and those that do try to be courteous are instantly and brutally punished. It's like driving in Taipei out here, but instead of motorcycles its wall to wall BMWs and Hyundais. Have traffic laws been suspended or something?
Its definitely not a result of Sandy, its been going on for a few years and its starting to reach critical mass with all the accidents occurring this year. The funny part is that people blame the roads when it is clearly the drivers who are the problem.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:32 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,812 times
Yes, the roads here on LI are bedlam. Highways are kaos. I like to think of it as the Mad Max syndrome.

It's not any one demographic, although stereotypes do live here, but just a general ignorance of the rules of the road by most drivers on LI's roads. I used to commute 13 miles on Sagitokas (sp?) Parkway and in that 10-20 minute span 4 or 5 near misses, brushes with maniacs and just people with poor driving skills were endemic. It's now common for someone to speed up to get in front of you from the left into the right, only to break immediately to get off at the next exit, which is like twenty feet ahead. Really nuts.

Is it a LI thing? I spend time in several western states on a regular basis and find people are more courteous, more skilled and generally less hostile.

Most drivers from around here seem to not have the skills to drive well but what they lack in skills they make up with hostility and neurotic moves.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:36 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Hey all.

Young, attractive women tend not to be held accountable for their actions, which is why most of the bad drivers that you see are young, attractive women, and why the cops just ignore them. If these drivers were men, older women, or less attractive women, the cops would pull them over if they were breaking the law.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:01 AM

126 posts, read 227,442 times
Quote:
Hey all.

2 words: Text messaging.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:36 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
I don't think it's only one factor. It's not only women, men, whites, etc. It's not only texting. It's not talking on the phone.

It's just complete disregard for others on the road.

You can tell a whole lot about a person by watching how they drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-24-2012, 06:06 AM

206 posts, read 570,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I don't think it's only one factor. It's not only women, men, whites, etc. It's not only texting. It's not talking on the phone.

It's just complete disregard for others on the road.

You can tell a whole lot about a person by watching how they drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Whilst traversing the LIE
Fixed that for you.

You were being sarcastic, weren't you

Old 11-24-2012, 06:07 AM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
It's just like the op said- Females can't drive. I don't know why that is. I think it's goes Asians then old people and then females.

Is there anyway to stop these demographics from getting a license?

If more people drove like me we would be much better off. That's no joke.
Maybe they shouldn't give out licenses to sexists and racists....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island