Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:37 AM

520 posts, read 1,653,410 times

Advertisements

I figured I would get this started as there seems to be a lot of unhappy people with the current path of this forum.

How can we improve it? What suggestions should we make to the mods to better the forum for 2013?

My suggestion is a little less censorship when it comes to topics. There seems to be a very narrow scope as to what can be talked about. I understand this is a Long Island forum, but I don't understand why we can't talk about everyday life here. I know it's a privately owned whatever. Last week I started a thread asking if people wash their feet. It was a completely serious post. While it was not centered on Long Island it was a fun and harmless post. There are other threads that are allowed that don't follow the terms of service and turn into a shouting match.

What do you all think?

Last edited by mambwe; 12-31-2012 at 09:46 AM..

Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Talk about insipid topics like feet washing on Facebook and social media with friends and family. This is called City Data (note the word "Data") and is intended for rational discussions about a particular region. Mostly geo and socio politics, economy, living, working, relocating. The ultimate goal should be to IMPROVE the region by sharing information and discussing solutions to common problems or at least gain an understanding of the common obstacles facing us.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,046 times
I posted more frequently but stopped because a moderator deleted my post on a topic I thought provided a lot of good discussion/debate. I also had a moderator claim I should not discuss another CD member that was banned. I felt like a little child being reprimanded so I said "F this" and stopped posting.

I also find many threads have deteriorated into juvenile name calling and idiocy like "I am true real estate agent why don't other people post their real names and careers? Absolutely Ridiculous. I don't need to prove that I am a real attorney to a bunch of strangers on an Internet message board. If people want to believe otherwise, let them. But I welcome DMs if people want to verify or have legal questions that require detailed answers.

Theses are just a few of the reasons I stopped visiting this site as much.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Talk about insipid topics like feet washing on Facebook and social media with friends and family. This is called City Data (note the word "Data") and is intended for rational discussions about a particular region. Mostly geo and socio politics, economy, living, working, relocating. The ultimate goal should be to IMPROVE the region by sharing information and discussing solutions to common problems or at least gain an understanding of the common obstacles facing us.
Please keep this on topic. I would like to keep this open to help the forum. Most threads do not fulfill the goals you are describing. Please make a suggestion on how we can improve the forum. Preferably, without attacking me. And, I was collecting "Data" in my post.

Maybe we should encourage people using the search feature. Instead of having multiple posts on fios or cablevision, etc. Maybe the mods could merge the new thread with an older one of the same topic. This might help to reduce the hostility around here.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:17 AM

3,524 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
Please keep this on topic. I would like to keep this open to help the forum. Most threads do not fulfill the goals you are describing. Please make a suggestion on how we can improve the forum. Preferably, without attacking me. And, I was collecting "Data" in my post.

Maybe we should encourage people using the search feature. Instead of having multiple posts on fios or cablevision, etc. Maybe the mods could merge the new thread with an older one of the same topic. This might help to reduce the hostility around here.
Feet washing had nothing to do with any of the above areas.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Feet washing had nothing to do with any of the above areas.
I'm not really sure what you are saying. But, I am against the censorship of harmless topics like that. I didn't see an issue with it. And there is beginning to be a trend with too much censorship on this forum that is driving people away.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:

On topic? My post describes EXACTLY what the forum is supposed to be about. Collecting "data" on feet washing?! That's brilliant. I can't argue with this kind of logic. Respectfully and unfortunately I cannot make a suggestion to improve the forum that doesn't include attacking you.

Quote:
Most threads do not fulfill the goals you are describing.
THAT is the problem in a nutshell and of course you plowed right over it.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
On topic? My post describes EXACTLY what the forum is supposed to be about. Collecting "data" on feet washing?! That's brilliant. I can't argue with this kind of logic. Respectfully and unfortunately I cannot make a suggestion to improve the forum that doesn't include attacking you.

THAT is the problem in a nutshell and of course you plowed right over it.
You really feel the need to make this thread confrontational. Comments like yours are what is ruining this forum. Whether you agree with the content of a post doesn't matter and isn't the reason this was posted. I asked you to make a suggestion and you did not. I identified the problem for you. Simply regurgitating the terms of service doesn't help anything. When you are able to put together a lucid, well thought out, coherent idea on how to improve the forum please do so. Otherwise, find a different forum to post on. If you feel the need to attack people perhaps you should delete your account since you aren't helping the cause.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not really sure what you are saying. But, I am against the censorship of harmless topics like that. I didn't see an issue with it. And there is beginning to be a trend with too much censorship on this forum that is driving people away.
Yes it's the censorship that is driving people away. That's it. (cuckoo, cuckoo). It's the TOPIC that is driving people away. It is being censored because it DOESN'T BELONG. You just don't seem to get it. It's not CENSORSHIP. t's moderating a forum to maintain a sense of topic and direction. Geezus H. Crow. I'm done. Forget it.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 AM

I will recommend the mod remove your account.

But, for the sake of this forum can you please delete your last two posts as they really do not offer anything to the original topic. Thank you.

Last edited by Sunscape; 12-31-2012 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island