Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 08:30 PM

42 posts, read 73,572 times

Advertisements

We spend a lot of time talking and reading each others ideas/thoughts. Why not meet in person? See the face behind the screenname. Are people hellbent of being kept anonymous? It could be fun to meet the crazies behind the posts.

We can even play a game. One person can organize the event and take a list of all those who are attending. Beforehand we can pick the most bizarre/shocking post by each member in attendance. We won't tell people who made the post. The game will be to match the face with the post. So we show you the post and you need to figure out who in attendance made that post. After which we can all wear cute name tags.

I think a bar or restaurant would be an appropriate place. Any takers? Is anyone up for this?

Come on Mods, who's coming? Or maybe we'll want to talk about the mods behind their back! Lol. Just kidding.

So??

I'll bring raspberries if mongoose brings some peaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 08:50 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Haha, I was thinking about this the other day.

I dunno...a part of me thinks it would cool to meet you guys, and a part of me thinks it would be weird to meet you guys.

I guess, if enough people joined in, I'd participate. Still on the fence...

Last edited by bigjretrac; 08-21-2013 at 10:01 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 08:59 PM

246 posts, read 470,799 times
I've belong to other types of forums in the past and current, anw we do meet up.

Too many trolls here. Might end up as an LI massacre!

Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,046 times
The NYC C-D board had a meet up last year somewhere in Harlem..they had a few people show up..sounded cool. I post on another message board and organized the meet up for that board at a bar in midtown a few years ago. 6 people showed up (about 50 people post, lol).

I think it would be fun, but I fear turnout may be low. I wouldn't be surprised if some posters would rather just hide behind their online personas and not reveal themselves publicly.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
The NYC board has actually had a few meet-ups, but that idea seems to have fizzled for now. Like us, they have also lost a few long-term regular posters.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:40 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
I think if only 6 people showed up from the NYC forum, we are in trouble lol

Old 08-22-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I don't know. I've never been to the NYC board, but I know this forum has almost no substance and we still have a bunch of committed posters. I thinks we could get good attendance.

Speaking of committed; I think we should have some guys with straight jackets at the door to take away some members upon entry.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:18 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,531,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234567 View Post
We spend a lot of time talking and reading each others ideas/thoughts. Why not meet in person? See the face behind the screenname. Are people hellbent of being kept anonymous? It could be fun to meet the crazies behind the posts.

We can even play a game. One person can organize the event and take a list of all those who are attending. Beforehand we can pick the most bizarre/shocking post by each member in attendance. We won't tell people who made the post. The game will be to match the face with the post. So we show you the post and you need to figure out who in attendance made that post. After which we can all wear cute name tags.

I think a bar or restaurant would be an appropriate place. Any takers? Is anyone up for this?

Come on Mods, who's coming? Or maybe we'll want to talk about the mods behind their back! Lol. Just kidding.

So??

I'll bring raspberries if mongoose brings some peaches.
Some great info on here, great people, don't get me wrong. I read and post some great threads. However, I can not imagine hanging out with a bunch of negitive people. Talking about the same stuff that is on this forum: high taxes, schools, QOL, cops, teachers, ect....

Old 08-22-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Some great info on here, great people, don't get me wrong. I read and post some great threads. However, I can not imagine hanging out with a bunch of negitive people. Talking about the same stuff that is on this forum: high taxes, schools, QOL, cops, teachers, ect....
Something tells me that all if the members are much nicer in person. Not the miserable people that you see here. I think it could really be fun. We would have to pick a central location. Anyone have any ideas for a place? I'll put it together after we find a place.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:40 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
you mean north Carolina or some magical place with low taxes

to spice things up, the north shore and south shore can thumb wrestle for free beer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island