Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 03:03 PM

295 posts, read 345,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Unc - I thought you were saying that someone would be rear ending the car in front of them as they were waiting to make a right on red (or any turn really) - that you would be stopped behind a car, look to see if it's clear, and seeing it's clear, just go and meanwhile the car in front of you has not opted to turn. I was pointing out that my scenario was different - must have read it wrong.

As far as right on red being optional, this is perhaps my biggest peeve with this law - you, as the first car in line, can see what's coming and the idiot behind you is honking. Happened ad nauseum when I lived in Nassau.
Bigger peeve. I have been part of it many times. There is a "No turn on red" sign and the first driver in line is not making the right turn and there is clearly no traffic preventing the driver not to. That's because the driver failed to read the entire sign that says "when pedestrians are present".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
The legislature that deals with making up these laws do not come to city data to read your complaints it would be best if you would call your local Representative.
The bums never even come to legislative meetings, (unless they're playing golf at the country club while meeting over issues).
Call my local representative?
Surely you are joking, yes? Isn't my `local politician or legislator like sort of my `representative? The only time that you can find one
of those representatives, is the week before election day, when they kiss babies and bask in the glow of photo ops! Sometimes I think
that too many of our legislators are hardly capable of tying their own shoes!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:11 PM

69 posts, read 93,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
The law allowing right hand turns at red lights after a full stop is, in my opinion, one of the most foolish traffic laws. So many people either do not come to a full stop, or pull out recklessly. I think it should be done away with all together.
dare to dream

Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 AM

573 posts, read 1,242,793 times
Quote:
Unc - I thought you were saying that someone would be rear ending the car in front of them as they were waiting to make a right on red (or any turn really) - that you would be stopped behind a car, look to see if it's clear, and seeing it's clear, just go and meanwhile the car in front of you has not opted to turn. I was pointing out that my scenario was different - must have read it wrong.

As far as right on red being optional, this is perhaps my biggest peeve with this law - you, as the first car in line, can see what's coming and the idiot behind you is honking. Happened ad nauseum when I lived in Nassau.
Oh ok, I see what you mean. I think that happens a lot at the Peninsula Blvd. North exit from the east bound Southern State. I have seen a few fender benders at the end of the ramp. I don't see that as much of a risk to be honest, though if you saw that a lot while in the insurance game then maybe it is.

I was talking about actually making a turn onto a road where the cars may be going pretty fast (say 40mph on Wantagh Avenue) - I don't think there is a difference in risk for a person turning off a side street onto a road where the limit is 40, and a person turning at a light onto a road where the limit is 40mph, they're turning onto the same road with cars presumably traveling the same or similar speeds.

IMO, If Nassau got rid of right turns on red it wouldn't be that big of a deal, just an inconvenience that at certain times and places would be unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal24
Bigger peeve. I have been part of it many times. There is a "No turn on red" sign and the first driver in line is not making the right turn and there is clearly no traffic preventing the driver not to. That's because the driver failed to read the entire sign that says "when pedestrians are present".
Haha, at the corner of County Seat Drive and 11th Street in Garden City/Mineola there is a sign "No Turn on Red" and then a second sign under it in smaller letters "From Center Lane" - people rarely catch the smaller sign (I think at least) and wait for the light. I've also seen a sign that said 'no turn on red' and then a second sign 'during school hours' (corner of Hempstead Tpke and Stewart Ave. in Bethpage).

Old 02-22-2013, 07:51 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,941 times
Quote:
HUH? The speed limit on Jerich Tpke is 50 mph in Nassau County. You can turn from any number of side streets on to Jericho between Brush Hollow Road and Glen Cove Road.

We have quite a few roads here that are 45 mph with side streets - not 50 mph but I already proved you wrong on that!

We have 50 mph roads here and rights are permitted on red..

Do you and everyone else here understand the "right turn permitted on red"

Because it seems i can find people all over doing it and have no clue what that means.

I would bet that you also would be one of those people that make the right on red and do not do it properly.
At 50 mph you cover 73 feet per second, so how many feet away does the car in the right of way have that you'll decide is safe for you to make a right on red when safe to do so....
How many feet away will you safely jump in front of the car or truck and then what will you do.... Will you be like EVERY other asshat and accelerate at your leisure to the posted speed limit ???

How many feet away will you safely jump in front of the car or truck and then what will you do.... Will you be like EVERY other asshat and accelerate at your leisure to the posted speed limit ???

You have just been schooled on 50 mph and how many feet trucks and cars cover at that speed ?
Im willing to also bet you have NEVER made a right on red correctly.

The best will be the right on red cancelled in those areas and watch how many people get hit by cars since now the pedestrians and cars will have to make the right and cross at the same time along with the people making the left...

If they ever revamp the road test and written test to what i have explained most of this careless and clueless driving wouldn't exist.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
As a friend visiting from TX once noted, people on Long Island merge into traffic like they're saying, "Hey, you got brakes, don't you? Well, use them!"

Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 PM

69 posts, read 93,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
If they ever revamp the road test and written test to what i have explained most of this careless and clueless driving wouldn't exist.
If you wrote the book on driving like you write here no one would ever get to the test

Old 02-22-2013, 07:12 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
The law allowing right hand turns at red lights after a full stop is, in my opinion, one of the most foolish traffic laws. So many people either do not come to a full stop, or pull out recklessly. I think it should be done away with all together.
Any red light cameras take care of these people. There's a notorious one at Roosevelt Field mall entrance coming from the west turning into the mall. It's more of a right bank than a 90-degree turn but there's a light there and people just roll right through. Flash. Flash. Flash. There's a new intersection here that they put up red light cameras too. As long as you full stop then make a right, you're good. For the better.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Any red light cameras take care of these people. There's a notorious one at Roosevelt Field mall entrance coming from the west turning into the mall. It's more of a right bank than a 90-degree turn but there's a light there and people just roll right through. Flash. Flash. Flash. There's a new intersection here that they put up red light cameras too. As long as you full stop then make a right, you're good. For the better.
Isn't that a separate lane into the mall road, though? If so, I don't think that should be considered a right on red.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:36 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Swanson View Post
If you wrote the book on driving like you write here no one would ever get to the test
Exactly where most of them should be, most of the people driving shouldn't be driving.

most are minding a steering wheel and not driving, there is a difference between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but

As a friend visiting from TX once noted, people on Long Island merge into traffic like they're saying, "Hey, you got brakes, don't you? Well, use them!"
Exactly and if the road test was done correctly guess how many of them would be on a bus, and how many supposed professional drivers wouldn't have a job...
Would force people to drive and not be idiots holding a steering wheel.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island