Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:57 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,338,841 times

Advertisements

Go with a good RE Agent. Do not worry about resale, if you will have to sell it cheaper.... then you can also buy it cheaper now, so it evens out.

It depends on how much noise can you hear when you are in your backyard during the busy times, and not from inside your home in winter when the windows are closed. This is big for me.

In my book, proximity to a highway is not a bad thing, I actually think its an advantage on LI, provided the other factors have been considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,748,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenstoLI View Post
Looking to buy house it is adjacent to Rte 135. Not quite sure how much it would bother us coming from Queens. Is a location like that a big no no in Northshore Long Island? How much of a discount off of a mid block location should I be seeking 10% ot more like 20%. Any thougts?
You say North Shore LI, but only a very small part of 135 is technically NS.

Is it North of the LIE? That could make a difference. Overall, 135 is not heavily trafficked, but you do get a fair amount of trucks, motorcycles and stuff. The noise will become background noise as others have mentioned. As long as it doesn't bother you, then take advantage of it if it looks like a good deal. How much to discount it depends on the asking price and looking at comps. There may actually be some positives to it as well. Normally you would have 1 or 2 houses adjacent to your backyard. So you get a little more privacy with the one you're looking at.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Go with a good RE Agent. Do not worry about resale, if you will have to sell it cheaper.... then you can also buy it cheaper now, so it evens out.

It depends on how much noise can you hear when you are in your backyard during the busy times, and not from inside your home in winter when the windows are closed. This is big for me.

In my book, proximity to a highway is not a bad thing, I actually think its an advantage on LI, provided the other factors have been considered.
I have heard in general that houses that are right off an expressway or parkway have more burglaries and more car thefts because it's easy for the thieves to get away. Many serial killers also have specifically worked along highway systems because of the ease of escape. (Was watching a show about the I-70 Killer last night as a matter of fact.) Also, I used to work with a guy whose house was right off the Southern State Parkway. He had Hondas stolen from his driveway three times. For safety and property protection, people are much better off in a cul de sac or in an area where there are very few exits from the neighborhood (like Bay Park in East Rockaway) that can be easily blocked off by police when necessary.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I have heard in general that houses that are right off an expressway or parkway have more burglaries and more car thefts because it's easy for the thieves to get away. Many serial killers also have specifically worked along highway systems because of the ease of escape. (Was watching a show about the I-70 Killer last night as a matter of fact.) Also, I used to work with a guy whose house was right off the Southern State Parkway. He had Hondas stolen from his driveway three times. For safety and property protection, people are much better off in a cul de sac or in an area where there are very few exits from the neighborhood (like Bay Park in East Rockaway) that can be easily blocked off by police when necessary.
Hmmm, thanks for sharing....
I think I figured out why LI is safer than the rest of the country.... no one can get out, just block the bridges !!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Hmmm, thanks for sharing....
I think I figured out why LI is safer than the rest of the country.... no one can get out, just block the bridges !!
I was looking at it in a micro point of view (individual neighborhoods) versus the macro point of view (the entire island) ... but ...

Ha! I think we have just stumbled upon a selling point for waterfront homes after Hurricane Sandy ... you can get off LI by your own boat!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:44 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
What about resale value? I wouldn't look at a house that was close to 135 if I was in the market to buy. You're probably eliminating a group of potential buyers when you sell the house in the future.
Right. Just as the OP is hesitant, so will the next buyer be.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 PM

289 posts, read 399,932 times
Do not do it. Major Major Mistake just think of a resale. If you are having questions what would others have when you sell. Think of the reasons why you are leaving and moving to the island. Not worth what you are saving. Your looking for % off what would a buying be looking for when you sell. Dont think you will not sell or be in there for 20 years. Things change.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 PM

289 posts, read 399,932 times
I Love Li But

Please try and get a job at carolines comedy. You will rake in the crowds.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I was looking at it in a micro point of view (individual neighborhoods) versus the macro point of view (the entire island) ... but ...
I know, I was just kidding !!

Quote:
Ha! I think we have just stumbled upon a selling point for waterfront homes after Hurricane Sandy ... you can get off LI by your own boat!
Good one.... and the ones behind the waterfront can be sold as "excellent potential" for future waterfront home !!

Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 PM

276 posts, read 989,495 times
Pass. Location cannot be changed in a home should you love the home but hate the road backing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island