Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 AM

172 posts, read 221,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
It may be fine but at $15k...I'd get two other estimates.

i did try to get 3 other estimates lol

it all started with a plan for central air but with me being in a cape, i felt the mini splits would be a better option as well as more efficient and versitile.

so i'm on the mini split kick

i had one guy come, said he would fix up the estimate and i never heard back from him again

had another guy come, same thing, said he would get the estimate by friday, that was over a month ago lol

called other companies, they either didn't return my call or never showed up

next company, mini splits, 20k for everything. he said he wouldn't budge because it's busy

this guy was by a great referral and he came even though he was really busy but i caught him on a rainstrom day, estimated the 15k,

so that were i'm at and judging from the only 2 deals i have in place, he's obviously the better one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
So you are getting 2 separate 3 ton ductless split systems installed.

What type of house do you have?

Im pretty sure I can get that installed for you at a much cheaper price.

When do you need it done by? Im swamped right now.

i have a cape with extensions on both sides.

2 seperate ductless split systems. one for each side of the house.

i feel the air flow will take care of the middle areas which is kitchen and dining room. my middle is very narrow. i don't have an EIK. dining room has ceiling fan. i don't get too crazy about the heat so if the house is an unhumid 80 degrees, i'd be comfortable.
my home also stays kinda cool in the summer because the sun shines from side to side instead of F to B.

so that's that.

i also wanted maybe a vent to go into the bathroom to get a little cold air in there from one of the rooms and also a moisture /heat fan because my bathroom doesnt' have that.

somebody said that an electrician thing and an HVAC guy isn't coded to do that type of job.

the other good thing about the 15k guy is he's very close to my house so i'm hoping i can get things installed quickly. i've been trying to get estimates since April.

i know he will do a good job and that one thing you want.

i'd be interested in what you can offer me though. PM me

thanks

Old 06-26-2013, 12:29 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Since you are in a cape with no attic are these quotes figuring the repair, spackling and painting of the ceilings/walls that will be opened up to run the refrigerant lines?

Do you have a basement? Finished?

You can PM me is you want.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:46 PM

827 posts, read 3,095,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscus555 View Post
i did try to get 3 other estimates lol

it all started with a plan for central air but with me being in a cape, i felt the mini splits would be a better option as well as more efficient and versitile.

so i'm on the mini split kick

i had one guy come, said he would fix up the estimate and i never heard back from him again

had another guy come, same thing, said he would get the estimate by friday, that was over a month ago lol

called other companies, they either didn't return my call or never showed up

next company, mini splits, 20k for everything. he said he wouldn't budge because it's busy

this guy was by a great referral and he came even though he was really busy but i caught him on a rainstrom day, estimated the 15k,

so that were i'm at and judging from the only 2 deals i have in place, he's obviously the better one
Hey there, just wondering, is this the company I referred to you? I know I spoke with my HVAC guy the other day and he told me he was so busy! I just needed him for a yearly service call but he's so busy he couldn't fit us in. I called late in the season. I hope it is my guy and I have to tell you, I just had someone over my house the other day to give an estimate about removing a structure wall and they were in my attic and couldn't believe what a clean job my HVAC guy did and the cost he charged when I told him. I have such faith in my HVAC guy. Hope if he's the one doing the job, he can fit you in soon b/c it's pretty hot outside these days.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:11 PM

110 posts, read 215,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
Hey there, just wondering, is this the company I referred to you? I know I spoke with my HVAC guy the other day and he told me he was so busy! I just needed him for a yearly service call but he's so busy he couldn't fit us in. I called late in the season. I hope it is my guy and I have to tell you, I just had someone over my house the other day to give an estimate about removing a structure wall and they were in my attic and couldn't believe what a clean job my HVAC guy did and the cost he charged when I told him. I have such faith in my HVAC guy. Hope if he's the one doing the job, he can fit you in soon b/c it's pretty hot outside these days.
sent you a PM thanks!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
Yeah it's your guy. I hope he can fit me in and take care of me. I was excited to work with him. It's kinda worthless to get it done in sept if it came down to that. I know everyone is busy. I can only try. I was asking about the deal in the meantime.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:09 AM

827 posts, read 3,095,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscus555 View Post
Yeah it's your guy. I hope he can fit me in and take care of me. I was excited to work with him. It's kinda worthless to get it done in sept if it came down to that. I know everyone is busy. I can only try. I was asking about the deal in the meantime.
Yeah, getting it done in September kind of defeats the purpose...although next year you would have a nice new system. I keep my CAC on until October. Our house holds in the heat and we get no airflow so we have no choice but to keep it on until the weather finally starts to stay cool. I hope he's able to fit you in. He really did sound so busy when I spoke with him last week. Good luck to you and I hope he comes through for you.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 PM

41 posts, read 87,319 times
I do not mean to hijack this thread, would appreciate yr reference (DM/PM) for good and reliable HVAC company here on LI. I am on South Shore, house (and outside condenser unit for central air) were damaged in Sandy. We still need to replace condenser and, possibly, air handler. Since house is still pretty much gutted, we bought a window unit for upstairs where we currently live - so there is no urgency for us to install new condenser now. It can certainly wait until after the peak season. Thanks!

Old 07-01-2013, 06:33 PM

175 posts, read 638,035 times
Believe it or not, I went through Home Depot, subcontractor was Trane. They were the best value of the estimates I received, plus added a register in a room that previously did not have it (did not want a unit in there). They came back several times to rebalance for me as well. Mine was a more complicated situation because we had an attic unit that we removed to put a new condenser outside, which meant new variance, piping, electric blah blah, but they helped us through the whole process. And because I got it through Depot, I have two years to pay if off, interest-free. So no complaints here. Sears was the worst, the highest estimate and high-pressure salesmen (two of them) to get you to sign on the dotted line on the spot. No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island