Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 PM

987 posts, read 824,179 times

Advertisements

We have a ground floor 1br apt with separate meters, boiler etc. I actually thought it had a permit that expired, at least that's what the seller told us a few years ago. Anyway I called the town and there was never a permit so they are sending me the application. We have no tenants in the apt. Is there a way I can determine about how much our taxes will increase once legal( hopefully it gets approved)? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 01:36 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
We have a ground floor 1br apt with separate meters, boiler etc. I actually thought it had a permit that expired, at least that's what the seller told us a few years ago. Anyway I called the town and there was never a permit so they are sending me the application. We have no tenants in the apt. Is there a way I can determine about how much our taxes will increase once legal( hopefully it gets approved)? Thanks

I suggest you go to the source - the tax assessor's department of your Town. That's where you'd get the most accurate answer IMHO.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:31 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,730,371 times
I'm just curious why this wasn't addressed BEFORE you purchased the home?? Your attorney should have made sure this apartment was legal rather than go on the word of the seller who is just trying to sell the house.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I'm just curious why this wasn't addressed BEFORE you purchased the home?? Your attorney should have made sure this apartment was legal rather than go on the word of the seller who is just trying to sell the house.
Most likely because it was sold as a single 1-family house with no accessory apartment stated. And until recent years, unless it was an FHA loan, "Finished basements" were often "overlooked" by appraisers, especially if they were not represented in the listing.

Once the permit expires, the owner needs a new permit, and the property now has to conform to current guidelines/zoning laws. The question is did the Town adjust the taxes after the permit expired . It's quite possible the taxes still include the increase for a legal apartment...
Towns are not known for being pro-active when it comes to taking in LESS $$

Old 05-13-2013, 04:29 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,995,880 times
Never was a permit?????? Are accessory apartments ALLOWED with your current zoning??????

Old 05-14-2013, 12:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Never was a permit?????? Are accessory apartments ALLOWED with your current zoning??????
Must be if they said they are sending him an application.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,995,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
LOL... you're assuming the clerk answering the phone even knows the zoning codes.

Heck I was told last week by our zoning officer that I did not need a height variance (over 30 ft) in my zoning district. I had to remind him I was R10A not R40 which starts on the next street over.

Further, at a zoning appeals board hearing a couple of weeks ago, a gentleman came forward who insisted his property was a three family as it had three separate boilers, electric meters, gas meters. House is assessed as single family. Prior owner had operated house as a guest house after having taken out two of the three kitchens. However, although she had registered as a guest house, had an operating certificate from the City, she was still illegal as she had not met the fire marshall's requirements for operating a guest house. Thus, she abandoned the guest house and reverted to a single family home. Zoning is R10A only two families allowed. Before standardized zoning in 1977, it had been a three family unit. The appeals board turned him down for his variance. Sometimes things are not as they seem!

Last edited by ocngypz; 05-14-2013 at 08:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island