Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 12:06 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,773 times

Advertisements

You guys are really lucky to have Fairway on Long Island, I think it's actually better than Wegman's! I agree with another poster in that with Fairway there is no need to shop at Whole Foods.

Be glad there is not an influx on Walmart super centers on Long Island. The produce from Walmart comes from China, ick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 01:27 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Aren't they building a superwalmart out in Riverhead?

In other news, here are the major headlines for walmart today...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurahel...port-says-yes/

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/loca...db2e2ead2.html

Wal-Mart plans $15B more in stock buybacks - Yahoo! Finance

Last edited by Pequaman; 06-07-2013 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 02:05 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
You guys are really lucky to have Fairway on Long Island, I think it's actually better than Wegman's! I agree with another poster in that with Fairway there is no need to shop at Whole Foods.

Be glad there is not an influx on Walmart super centers on Long Island. The produce from Walmart comes from China, ick!
What source is that from? Most Walmarts in our area get the produce through regional suppliers.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:48 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:

HILARIOUS!!!!! The produce in WalMart is shipped in from China?!?! Where did you get that info??

I've purchased produce from WalMart and a lot of it is grown in and shipped from PA. I haven't looked at each and every item but I will make a point to do so now.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:18 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times
Let me know when they put up a sixflags.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
HILARIOUS!!!!! The produce in WalMart is shipped in from China?!?! Where did you get that info??

I've purchased produce from WalMart and a lot of it is grown in and shipped from PA. I haven't looked at each and every item but I will make a point to do so now.
Garlic cloves and mushrooms, I've seen are imported from China. In general, you have to be very careful where you get garlic cloves- China is a huge importer of garlic.

I've never been to the Walmart super centers on LI, but the quality of produce is disgusting at the ones in Albany. I also don't like to support them because they've put other local grocers out of business, not so much here but it's happened a lot in Oklahoma I know.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
What source is that from? Most Walmarts in our area get the produce through regional suppliers.
Mostly garlic as I said above and what I've seen.

http://documents.foodandwaterwatch.o...ousImports.pdf

Old 06-07-2013, 10:00 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Garlic cloves and mushrooms, I've seen are imported from China. In general, you have to be very careful where you get garlic cloves- China is a huge importer of garlic.

I've never been to the Walmart super centers on LI, but the quality of produce is disgusting at the ones in Albany. I also don't like to support them because they've put other local grocers out of business, not so much here but it's happened a lot in Oklahoma I know.

I don't know what WalMart would gain by selling "disgusting" produce. I've purchased fresh produce at the Wal Mart by me and it's always been great quality.

I'll be sure to check out the garlic and mushrooms next time I go (and I'll report back!)

Old 06-08-2013, 08:48 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
They gain more customers to whom price is more important than quality or ethics.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:33 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Somehow I sense that Walmart's merchandising in its overseas operations is much better than in the US. The stores in Mexico and India appear to be selling things that people in great numbers would actually want to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island