Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 03:32 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,209 times

Advertisements

Newark, DE

College town, 1 hr. from Philly, and then a couple of hours quick trip to Li to see friends and family.

Last edited by gag; 05-15-2013 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 03:34 PM

278 posts, read 655,993 times
My wife and I fled LI when we got married, moved to Portland Maine. Wanted to be on the coast with a great quality of life, and that's what we found.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:34 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Go where you can get a job. Everyone thinks their skills are transferable but in some places (like where I live) IT folks are a dime a dozen (not to say there aren't jobs, but there's lot of competition). Also, the pay in certain places is more than adjusted for COL - nurses make very little money where I live - way less than LI, not just a little less.

Start thinking about places you've been that you like. Or what kind of atmosphere/weather/vibe you like. Lurk on some forums here on CD.

Good luck.
Good advice. No place is going to look good if the OP is unemployed. Money magazine often does surveys of best places to live in the U.S., but I'm not sure how accurate they are. I'm sure there's plenty of information on the web on employment and living conditions around the country. The OP has to do a comprehensive search.

We know a couple with kids who moved to Virginia from Suffolk County (husband was a transferred government worker) and found the schools to be much better and more modern, and the taxes much lower. They were able to buy a bigger house and save more money for their kids' college educations. But they're now not sure if the atmosphere is what they expected. The oldest now wants to skip college and go to beauty school. It's not a bad profession, but it's also not what the parents hoped for. Other parts of the country sound good, but I wonder sometimes if the competitive, fast-paced New York environment isn't more of a motivator for kids to do better and become more successful. I have no proof of this. I think, though, that if you're surrounded by a diverse group of high achievers, some of that has to rub off.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I believe I got a much better education and learned much more here in the NY area -- both inside and outside the classroom -- than if I had grown up in Gooberville. Perhaps some of my NY snobbery is showing.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:38 PM

592 posts, read 919,397 times
If you (not both of you combined) are not making $200k or a civil servant with tier IV or below pension, why would you (or anyone) stay on Long Island?

Old 05-15-2013, 05:19 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Good advice. No place is going to look good if the OP is unemployed. Money magazine often does surveys of best places to live in the U.S., but I'm not sure how accurate they are. I'm sure there's plenty of information on the web on employment and living conditions around the country. The OP has to do a comprehensive search.

We know a couple with kids who moved to Virginia from Suffolk County (husband was a transferred government worker) and found the schools to be much better and more modern, and the taxes much lower. They were able to buy a bigger house and save more money for their kids' college educations. But they're now not sure if the atmosphere is what they expected. The oldest now wants to skip college and go to beauty school. It's not a bad profession, but it's also not what the parents hoped for. Other parts of the country sound good, but I wonder sometimes if the competitive, fast-paced New York environment isn't more of a motivator for kids to do better and become more successful. I have no proof of this. I think, though, that if you're surrounded by a diverse group of high achievers, some of that has to rub off.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I believe I got a much better education and learned much more here in the NY area -- both inside and outside the classroom -- than if I had grown up in Gooberville. Perhaps some of my NY snobbery is showing.
Nope.. just the kid. The high schools I visited in Chesterfield Co. were extremely competitive and rank high nationally.

In the big scheme of things, one has to love what they do.......

Old 05-15-2013, 05:26 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
I find it odd that the schools are better but they feel that they kids have been led down the non-college path by their peers. That makes no sense.

I happen to be of the mind that people should do what makes them happy in life, not chase some "let's impress everyone" occupation - regardless of how much money it's going to make them. Probably why I didn't feel like I fit in as a NYer, although born and raised there. I also don't buy into the "everyone should go to college" theory that is rampant nowadays. In 30 years when there's no plumber or HVAC guys but thousands of unemployed lawyers (oh, wait we are already seeing that happen) people will be wondering why.

I'll also say that there's probably way less pressure outside major metro areas like NYC to feel that you can't pursue a trade because you can actually live on that salary. People comfortably buy houses at a much younger age and with what you'd consider low level jobs here. Personally, I think that's a good thing. I don't think your attitude is necessarily NY snobbery - maybe more of an ingrained mentality. You probably don't know many people who make in the $30ks who can afford a nice house in a good safe area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post

Old 05-15-2013, 05:49 PM

157 posts, read 379,412 times
With the jobs that you both have, much of the country is a possible choice. This site is a great resource for learning about different states and cities. Decide what kind of weather, culture, geography and cost of living would appeal to you. My son and his fiance moved to Denver a year ago and like it so far. Both were hired for full time teaching positions after they moved there. Once you zero in on a few areas, take some trips and check them out. Good luck!

Matt

Old 05-15-2013, 06:46 PM

796 posts, read 1,755,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge13 View Post
Thanks, but not at all what we're looking for. Too urban, and no less expensive than LI. Again - looking to leave NY.
I know. I was attempting to make a joke that it takes an hour to get from Brooklyn to Manhattan. I guess I don't get an encore.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:48 AM

715 posts, read 1,233,600 times
I am not married to the idea of staying in New York myself. I grew up on Long Island, lived in Las Vegas and Los Angeles for a little bit and saw that there are other places out there. The boyfriend on the other hand has only known Long Island and is only child and his whole family is here. House hunting on this island is just frustrating. I feel like we're looking at the bottom of the barrel sometimes with these places and for these taxes, what are we getting? We are a middle class couple (he works in IT and I work in marketing) and we feel like we have nothing to show for it at times.

We're looking to hopefully build equity in a house here and move in maybe 10 years, when hopefully our careers are more advanced and we can get a decent quality of life somewhere else.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:02 AM

238 posts, read 1,957,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
We're looking to hopefully build equity in a house here and move in maybe 10 years, when hopefully our careers are more advanced and we can get a decent quality of life somewhere else.
While we're fond of the thought that this could be the house where we live until we're old and gray, I've toyed with the idea you mention as well. In 10 years we'll still be relatively young and could have $100k in equity (or more, depending on the market), plus any savings we've managed to set aside in that time. That kind of money (which is far more than we have right now) may not go very far in NY, but could be more than adequate in other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island