Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 08:11 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge13 View Post
W In 10 years we'll still be relatively young and could have $100k in equity (or more, depending on the market), plus any savings we've managed to set aside in that time. That kind of money (which is far more than we have right now) may not go very far in NY, but could be more than adequate in other parts of the country.
Exactly! We'd been toying around with the idea of moving to the suburbs of Atlanta. We did a tiny bit of research on the area of Smyrna specifically. Whenever we look at houses and speak to the owners, many of them had said they're moving south (to the Carolinas or to Florida, of course).

In 10 years however (I'd be in my late 30s and him in his early 40's), there will definitely be little kids running around, which makes me think it will be harder, but in the end I would want to do whatever is right for our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 08:20 AM

238 posts, read 1,958,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
In 10 years however (I'd be in my late 30s and him in his early 40's), there will definitely be little kids running around, which makes me think it will be harder, but in the end I would want to do whatever is right for our family.
Yep, we're in the same boat. In 10 years, we'll both be in our late 30's, and my wife is currently pregnant with our first child. It would definitely make sense to move while the child is still young. Once they hit middle school, and certainly high school, it becomes harder.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:52 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
/\

But will you still have the desire to move? After a while you become established and although COL and other factors affect your Quality of Life; you are accepting. In 10 years with 1 possibly 2 or more children will you be as will to try someplace new?

Old 05-16-2013, 11:31 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

But will you still have the desire to move? After a while you become established and although COL and other factors affect your Quality of Life; you are accepting. In 10 years with 1 possibly 2 or more children will you be as will to try someplace new?
Who knows? 10 years ago, never would've imagined I'd be back on Long Island (After high school, my mom and her boyfriend at the time, my sister (who was 15 at the time) and I moved to Las Vegas. That didn't work out cause my mom's boyfriend cheated on her there and plus she hated it in Vegas. My mom and sister moved back to LI and I moved to Los Angeles for college for almost 4 years and I knew no one out there. Luckily, I made some amazing friends that are still like family to me).

I can't believe its been almost exactly 10 years that all of that happened. Heck, just about 5 years ago my mother was still alive and I had to move back here.

Maybe we'll stay, maybe we'll go. Life is a bumpy road.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:39 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Nope.. just the kid. The high schools I visited in Chesterfield Co. were extremely competitive and rank high nationally.

In the big scheme of things, one has to love what they do.......
I did some pretty extensive research on the schools there, having a friend that moved to the area and having visited a few times. We looked at houses, I did all the math regarding our jobs and cost of living, etc.

From what I remember, there are something like 10 or 11 high schools in the county, and after looking at their ratings/stats/performance, etc, there's only 3 that I would have considered sending my kid to, ie that rivaled middle of the road Suffolk County districts or better.

That's a problem wtih county schools like that, because you can move into an area that you think feeds Cosby HS or Midlothian (2 of the good ones), for instance, but it ends up feeding something else because the county shifts students due to enrollment or whatever other factors.

The first house my friend bought down there would have fed one of the worst schools in the county. They later moved to another area of the county.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,761 times
I grew up in Southeastern WI. I believe the climate is similar to NY. The city I lived in has a population of about 100.000 and is about 30 minutes to Milwaukee and 45 to Chicago. I know of quite a few people that couldn't wait to get out of town upon graduation. The funny thing is, most moved back when it came time to "settle down and start a family." I raised my 3 children there and can't imagine to have grown up or raised them anyplace else. I never had a problem with crime. My family was blue collar, middle class.

Kenoshacvb.com is a good site to look at if you are interested. I know the stats for employment in WI are not the greatest but they way they figure unemployment rates is SERIOUSLY flawed. Also, living on the WI/IL border, you have to consider employment in Illinois. There is a train that goes from Kenosha to Chicago if you choose to work in a larger city.

One idea may be to look into federal employment. There is a website called USA Jobs. With your professions, I am quite sure you could find positions for both of you just about anyplace in the country. My boyfriend worked as a civilian on a Navy base that was about 45 minutes from home, and was able to retire with benefits.

Since I lived there for oh, about 40 years, I would be happy to answer any questions if you have any! Good Luck!

Last edited by gma2two; 05-16-2013 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: wanted to add more info.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:51 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,955,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I did some pretty extensive research on the schools there, having a friend that moved to the area and having visited a few times. We looked at houses, I did all the math regarding our jobs and cost of living, etc.

From what I remember, there are something like 10 or 11 high schools in the county, and after looking at their ratings/stats/performance, etc, there's only 3 that I would have considered sending my kid to, ie that rivaled middle of the road Suffolk County districts or better.

That's a problem wtih county schools like that, because you can move into an area that you think feeds Cosby HS or Midlothian (2 of the good ones), for instance, but it ends up feeding something else because the county shifts students due to enrollment or whatever other factors.

The first house my friend bought down there would have fed one of the worst schools in the county. They later moved to another area of the county.
Sorry but it doesn't work like that.... But what do I know....

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-16-2013, 12:59 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Sorry but it doesn't work like that.... But what do I know....

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2
Right, so if you move to Chesterfield with a 5 year old, and the house you buy is an area that goes to X elementary school, which feeds X middle school, which feeds X high school at that time, the county cannot later make all or part of X middle school feed Y HS because of change in enrollment or population distribution......

...because you said so?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:39 PM

639 posts, read 1,124,243 times
I agree with other posters in that 1) make sure you can find a job, 2) get a feeling of the lifestyle, atmosphere, and offerings of the relocation areas before moving, worst thing you can do is move somewhere without doing your research, those are the people I notice who are unhappy after they relocate.

Don't worry about schools because you can find great schools and bad schools everywhere. I'd rather send my child to an A school in Florida than C, or even B school on Long Island.

The most popular relocation states in the south amongst Northeasterners are Florida and North Carolina as you probably know, and now Virginia, South Carolina, and even Tennessee seem to becoming more popular. I only lived in Florida a short time but I actually do like many of the cities there, medical is pretty big there but I'm not sure about IT.

Colorado and Arizona are becoming popular relocation spots in the west. Low housing costs and taxes, nice weather, Denver and Phoenix are good cities with a lot to offer. Medical jobs are good in both states. I heard that IT job market is decent in Phoenix, but you're better off talking to someone in the field.

I also hear Austin is a mecca for IT, but again it's better to talk to someone who has actually live there and know the field.

Now I know this may not fit all your criteria and probably not what you've been thinking, but you may do well in California. We all know there is a great IT market in the Bay Area, and also a good market in the Irvine SoCal area. Yes, California has high housing prices but IT salaries there generally pay much more than NY, most CA property taxes are bargin compared to NY, fresh fruits and veggies are cheaper there, and energy costs are minimal because of the year-round temperate climate. Also housing is much newer there than Long Island, so while you may have a high housing costs you most likely won't have to invest in many renovations. The biggest problem is probably the fierce competition in the California IT job market. But if you can land a well-paid IT job there it's definitely worth it.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
I would suggest parts of Upstate NY, but if you don't want to stay in NY, that won't work. Perhaps areas like Columbus OH, Minneapolis MN, Omaha NE or college towns like Morgantown WV, Ann Arbor MI and Lincoln NE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island