Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 12:22 PM

11,652 posts, read 12,729,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
The preschools do start later, but I don't know of any in my old town that would have had an opening except maybe a chain such as Sunshine House. It may be due to the booming population there. I am surprised that LI can sustain as many preschool/preks as they have here. Within five miles there are probably a dozen. Some people said there are not as many people with young kids moving into Nassau County. They may be incorrect.

For the other poster, check out HOA fees for some of the subdivisions in Mt Pleasant. You might look at Dunes West, Park West, Rivertowne, etc. I won't say where I lived but my guess is all three are well over a thousand. You do not get much. However subdivisions are huge and there is a lot of lawn maintenance, pond maintenance, outdoor tennis courts (there sre no indoor tennis courts in mt p) and swimming pools. All subdivisions there charge HOA, and some of the larger ones are quite high

Yes, the home owner insurance is much higher in mt p. My Wantagh neighbors were always talking about it. That would also be easy to check for accuracy with a quick call to an insurance agency. It was due to needing flood insurance, high wind coverage etc. it may have gone up after Hugo hit that area Howver that is just a guess. If so, those in areas impacted by Sandy may pay comparable insurance rates to Mt P now. I have no idea. A house valued at much less in Mt P is much more to insure there.
That may be very true where you used to live. But I am telling you again, there is a different culture here and even during the big baby boom of the 1990s, classes did not fill up until the end of Aug./early Sept. Naturally there are more preschools here as the population is much bigger. With more women staying in the workforce, there has been an increase in openings of daycare centers over the past 20 years. The various versions of collabrative school district/private nursery school universal pre-k proposals were all vetoed and Carolyn McCarthy's various public preschool propositions all petered out too. About 8 years ago, she allowed me to sit in on one of the congressional committee meetings. If your child is younger than 3, your only option is a private setting. There are only a handfull of school districts that offer preschool education and even fewer that accept 3 year olds.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:25 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,957,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It's interesting to see you on the credibility policing side since it's usually the other way around with some of us doubting your credibility ... now you see what we mean sometimes?

Anyway maybe this lady's ex-husband took care of everything during the other moves in her life to other states and maybe she now has a fat check from him every month too -- so that is how she "affords" to buy a house in Merrick and fix it up right away. I know someone who didn't even know what her ex-husband made a year and just happily bought clothes, etc., like it was a competitive sport until divorce time when her lawyer ferreted it out ... she just let her husband take care of everything financial that was "serious" during the marriage. After she was divorced and had to do things herself she was surprised at a lot of things other people who were more in touch with taking care of such things thought were commonplace.
Love,

Anything is possible but when you live in some of the lowest COL places to live in the country and admit you sold your home in the 200k range When you get divorced both parties usually downgrade not upgrade, and move to one of the highest COL places in the country! If you can't do it together it's 100x's harder doing it separately. Hanging out for months in the cheapest places to live for months? in all places 400 miles away in all place Richmond

Still this doesn't explain the trees with leafs, stop signs, supermarkets, gas stations, tipping, homes, etc even if she didn't pay the bills....did her ex ( if there is one) have her blindfolded and chained to the bed? She lived all over the place... and when you move to or from you have to do the exact same things, even my kids know this!

Old 08-07-2013, 12:35 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,893,404 times
She may be very young and moved around with her parents

Old 08-07-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
She may be very young and moved around with her parents
She said she moved 6 times during her adult life...so take that for whats it worth

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-07-2013, 01:16 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsarcastic View Post
lol BM50 some of your best posts ever....oh I have 30 days to register my car...shocking....but I'ge moved 5 times no really!
only thing has me laughing harder is wowza beer in the grocery store...SC not only has beer but wine....does anyone here ever make it past the East River?! hell in AZ you can buy liquor in the grocery.
I usually don't feed the trolls, but here you go Dry county - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Btw, SCtoLI never mentioned anything about beer in the grocery store. I brought it up as a tidbit. Grow a set and get back on your old id.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Lol, yes I see some HOA fees a little higher on those new multimillion dollar homes on pristine golf course or next to a beautiful beach rolleyes: but you said you lived in a 10 year old home valued in the high range of 200k and were paying 1,000 per year

Well you said you closed on July 12 in Merrick numerous times..... One of my best friends that I have know since 4th grade sells more homes Merrick then any other agent on the S.S. It's been awhile have to get him on the horn anyways and this guy is the ultimate resource guy there is modern technology and Emails go a very long way..

Enjoy the leaves and the stop signs, no mention of the sidewalks.... Thought that would've have blown your mind also
What is this, a threat to find out who she is?? This is hilarious. You seem to know everybody in any situation that may come up. Tell Cuomo I said hi next time you guys are doing lunch.
Really pathetic the level you guys will go down to to silence other members. This person has DM'ed me as well, and now they are afraid to post here because of your subtle threats. Why would someone troll here for months upon months and make up all these stories? I'm not understanding the end game. If they are indeed a troll, then shame on me. If they're legit, then some of the members here are utterly pathetic dbags. I'm not allover every thread to know everything that she writes. But I think you're dead wrong on this one.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:35 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
OK, I'll make nicee nice cause it's Pequa. Agree about the "hidden" fees but they shouldn't be hidden. They should supply a contract that states what they will do and you agree to. I admit the treatments get pricey. It's a weird balance I worked out with them (he's a nice guy and lives locally). I got rid of trees and said no more $225 cleanups and he said "without the spring cleanup it makes them start with a mess and the weekly service is harder and he will charge more or it will look like he's doing a half-a$$ job" which I agreed with so we settled on a lower price for basic Spring clean and no fall cleanup. Same thing with certain chemicals. No weed treatment means they have to pull more weeds (or I have to spot treat them which is ok on the lawn but not so good in the flowers) so it needs to be addressed. Bug treatment? Up to me. I have found that when I let them do what they want within reason, everything looks better than I ever had it looking so I bite the bullet and pay the piper. I have a corner lot. Just mowing and edging takes forever and I do a crappy job cause I'm in a rush and I just hate doing it. It cuts into my CD forum policing time and that's not acceptable!
They really shouldn't be hidden. But who is going to regulate the gray market, cash business that is the landscaping industry.
I agree that the more stuff they do, the better it will look. The problem is a lot of it is not really necessary, or is marked up 500% in some instances. Mow properly, water seldom but thoroughly, fertilizer, and learn how to use a weed whacker to trim (do it right once, it's like riding a bike after)...Boom, you don't need a landscaper and you can produce the same results. Then you can use the extra money you save to take some time off work and police CD til you're blue in the face!

Old 08-07-2013, 01:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,329,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Love,

Anything is possible but when you live in some of the lowest COL places to live in the country and admit you sold your home in the 200k range When you get divorced both parties usually downgrade not upgrade, and move to one of the highest COL places in the country! If you can't do it together it's 100x's harder doing it separately. Hanging out for months in the cheapest places to live for months? in all places 400 miles away in all place Richmond

Still this doesn't explain the trees with leafs, stop signs, supermarkets, gas stations, tipping, homes, etc even if she didn't pay the bills....did her ex ( if there is one) have her blindfolded and chained to the bed? She lived all over the place... and when you move to or from you have to do the exact same things, even my kids know this!
She just mentioned states, not areas; perhaps she lived in the high end areas of those states. Perhaps this home was hers alone and she had divorced prior to moving to SC. Sometimes both parties do not downgrade in a divorce anyway. Depends how much money they have. When my parents divorced the cost of their separate living quarters were more than our family home. We had a 6 bedroom home with 1 fireplace. She got a huge historical home with 5 fireplaces. He got an oceanfront coop with ocean view in an expensive building. My dad gave her a lot more $ than he had to to keep the peace. Maybe this lady's ex chipped in more when she wanted to move to LI so his son can be on LI and be in a good SD and grow up in a good area. Maybe she herself makes a good salary. We don't know. You don't have to downgrade per se when you move is all I am trying to point out. As for hanging out in Richmond, whatsa matter? You always talk the area up up up ... now you act like it's the PJs or a cheapskate's dream hellhole.

As for the other stuff she wrote about ... maybe she notices the little things we don't and writes about them. What the heck. I know when I am in other parts of the country people tell me I tip too much. I notice a lot of things too I just don't say them. I especially don't say bad things I am thinking in other parts of the country so I don't come across as the mean NY'er. I always just compliment the things I like instead.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:51 PM

5,296 posts, read 4,781,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
They really shouldn't be hidden. But who is going to regulate the gray market, cash business that is the landscaping industry.
I agree that the more stuff they do, the better it will look. The problem is a lot of it is not really necessary, or is marked up 500% in some instances. Mow properly, water seldom but thoroughly, fertilizer, and learn how to use a weed whacker to trim (do it right once, it's like riding a bike after)...Boom, you don't need a landscaper and you can produce the same results. Then you can use the extra money you save to take some time off work and police CD til you're blue in the face!
Lol! Personally I would never let a landscaper touch my lawn. I see the fast shoddy job they do on other properties. Plus I actually enjoy taking care of it myself.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,329,409 times
Quote:
I usually don't feed the trolls, but here you go Dry county - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Btw, SCtoLI never mentioned anything about beer in the grocery store. I brought it up as a tidbit. Grow a set and get back on your old id.

What is this, a threat to find out who she is?? This is hilarious. You seem to know everybody in any situation that may come up. Tell Cuomo I said hi next time you guys are doing lunch.
Really pathetic the level you guys will go down to to silence other members. This person has DM'ed me as well, and now they are afraid to post here because of your subtle threats. Why would someone troll here for months upon months and make up all these stories? I'm not understanding the end game. If they are indeed a troll, then shame on me. If they're legit, then some of the members here are utterly pathetic dbags. I'm not allover every thread to know everything that she writes. But I think you're dead wrong on this one.
I think what really drives them crazy is that she DARED to escape their "southern cheapskate's dream" and move to Long Island. I think that the only reason they feel so threatened by her posts is because they negate the only thing they live for: constantly justifying their own move down south. So of course they've got to try and "prove" she's a troll because the very existence of a person who voluntarily chose to move AWAY from South Carolina and to Long Island is an affront to their very being. Meanwhile, note how they spend all their time on the LI CD forum instead of the forum for their home area.

Please tell the lady not to be afraid to post here and tell her about the "Ignore" feature.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Hey I don't care if she hit power-ball and moved to Sands Point...I just don't like someone trying to pull the wool over my eyes(pride thing)....I learned this from growing up in NY! Usually people from NY have ****** sense and can sniff out the BS. Well some might fall under there's a sucker born every minute but......

I for one don't believe this story.... I had a couple of friends that moved form not only from where I live but from Cali and are struggling to gain traction on the Island. I told them it was expensive but until you actually make the move, you can see it for yourself. The grind, stress, rat race, traffic, costs and so on takes a toll, both physically and mentally, far from a walk in the park, but talk is cheap

If I personally knew you...I would put money on it....I now have a lot more facts Not going to blow anyone up, no worries there I wasted a favor on the BS already. Tell her it's ok to post, it will be fun to see who and what people respond!

BTW I hate Cuomo and have no idea why you brought that up

It's not a NC Vs. VA Vs. L.I. thing with me.... I don't care where you live or what you do, I'll Call BS no matter where you call home.. In real life I was at a big poker tourney(470 players) at Colonial Downs race track in New Kent, VA. I was at a table with 10 guys I never met before...shorty after it started, this one dude was talking about NYC and how he was NYPD and all the stories including 9/11. After
15 minutes or so I asked him what was is tax number, because I wanted to see if he got on the job before or after me....."'He stated oh I didn't get one of those'" HA!!!! Every member has one! Kind of was BS'ing the table.....except I happen to be there

Last edited by BigMike50; 08-07-2013 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island