Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:15 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
"You'll want to avoid RP, Medford and Riverhead"? Why? You could get a brand new home there for similar prices to the south. Now you see why housing is so subjective (hence, why I said to leave it out along with the obvious across-the-board income disparity). Think value, not 'cheap'. Similar to a stock that turns out to be a value trap.

What I was focusing on was actual COL, the monthly bills you get. Not cheaper houses. If you focus on the cost to live, just survive with basic COL, it's not significantly different no matter where you move. There is a basic nut of food, utilities, gas, phones, cable, water, sanitation, etc etc. that is not subjective. That is what I'm saying is highly exaggerated in difference. Plus, you have to add in things that actually do cost more in the south, and are more common expenses in the south (like Pest Control) and the difference is even less.
Simply put - I don't want to raise my kids living in those towns... because at the end of the day I am intimately familiar with those areas of Suffolk. Essentially it comes down to your immediate neighbors, what schools they attend, where you buy groceries, sports, camps, play dates, etc - every day life. If you were as familiar as someone who knows those areas of Suffolk and comparable areas of "the south", you'd know that it isn't "similar prices" at all - not even close. When you start insinuating "value" based on surrounding areas and think for 1 second that brand new in Riverhead isn't "cheap", you'd be wrong... and that's the rub. Brand new in Riverhead is terrible "value" compared to where I live. These towns like Medford and RP are the "value traps" - exactly why I avoided them. Whether you want to believe it or not you're largely making my argument for me.

You're wrong on COL and as much as you'd like to think you proved anything, it doesn't make it so. You're confusing the issue with COL by trying to remove housing costs from the equation and putting the emphasis to small add-ons. You can't decide for everyone what constitutes comparable and eliminating or reducing housing costs is disingenuous. You don't need to make the leap to a "mcmansion" to try and exacerbate the housing point - my neighbors and I don't live in mcmansions... our COL is substantially cheaper to a comparable house in a comparable LI town. This is exactly where your argument loses merit - because I won't argue that I could make it work on LI. I could find similar COL on LI to what I'm living with today... I do not believe it would be exactly even, but it would likely be close. However, in order to get that, I would have to make significant concessions related to QOL over what I have now. Similar to my arguments in the past related to specifically where you live matters... you can't speak of LI as being equal QOL and COL across the board. It isn't... don't pretend a 1400sqft ranch in RP is comparable or acceptable to those who made the move... also don't assume we all need to live in a 5ksqft eurostyle behemoth... it's not black or white - it's all about the grey and middle ground. In the end, you cannot get anything new or fully renovated on LI for "similar price" - don't fall for the ads you're reading. Riverhead schools are... Riverhead schools.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:20 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Not just about HOA stuff. Read back plus his comments about OP in other threads. He treated the OP like she was a total troll and liar just because he and some of his cohorts cannot believe it is possible anyone would move from SC to LI and he has a stick up his butt about her staying in his precious Richmond VA area for awhile before coming to LI. And she didn't deserve that treatment. That's why some people are annoyed.
lmao...you and I have been butting heads( almost 6 years), well you butt heads with everyone forever

People on this board have been going after me and my post since 2008 nothing new

L.I.Butt... you really think since SCtoLI posted, really? Your attempts to whatever your trying to accomplish with me has tarnish your mind, just leave me alone already!

But thanks BigJ.....if someone looked at these posts from afar and had no prior knowledge, you could see who the instigators are a very select few have to question,comment,validate,troll, put down everything I post.

I find it childish and immature but unfortunately that's how this board rolls.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:45 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
lmao...you and I have been butting heads( almost 6 years), well you butt heads with everyone forever

People on this board have been going after me and my post since 2008 nothing new

L.I.Butt... you really think since SCtoLI posted, really? Your attempts to whatever your trying to accomplish with me has tarnish your mind, just leave me alone already!

But thanks BigJ.....if someone looked at these posts from afar and had no prior knowledge, you could see who the instigators are a very select few have to question,comment,validate,troll, put down everything I post.

I find it childish and immature but unfortunately that's how this board rolls.
If you stop giving people reasons to question, validate, comment, put down, etc., then we will stop. Ever think of that?

Are you denying you went after SCtoLI quite aggressively, including posting that you called in a favor to try and find out if she was real in real life? For a woman living alone with a 3 year old kid that's kind of frightening. Don't deny it because you DID start trouble by going after her, so people told you off and now of course you are playing the role that WE are the bad ones. I like how you play the "poor victim" act so craftily but will never admit what you do to instigate it.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
If you stop giving people reasons to question, validate, comment, put down, etc., then we will stop. Ever think of that?

Are you denying you went after SCtoLI quite aggressively, including posting that you called in a favor to try and find out if she was real in real life? For a woman living alone with a 3 year old kid that's kind of frightening. Don't deny it because you DID start trouble by going after her, so people told you off and now of course you are playing the role that WE are the bad ones. I like how you play the "poor victim" act so craftily but will never admit what you do to instigate it.
What are you talking about now? I called her story B.S....I didn't threaten her bodily harm or make threats in any way shape or form ... About a dozen or so thought like me that her story was far fetched and didn't add up

What did I say that frighten her and her kid? That I don't believe their in Richmond or that 1,000 in HOA fees...that's scary or the leaves on her trees, real scary stuff!

Anyway how do you know she is a woman and has a three year old? Do you know her personally or just by what you read on an anonymous board?

Please...........................................

Old 08-18-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about now? I called her story B.S....I didn't threaten her bodily harm or make threats in any way shape or form ... About a dozen or so thought like me that her story was far fetched and didn't add up

What did I say that frighten her and her kid? That I don't believe their in Richmond or that 1,000 in HOA fees...that's scary or the leaves on her trees, real scary stuff!

Anyway how do you know she is a woman and has a three year old? Do you know her personally or just by what you read on an anonymous board?

Please...........................................
Just what you wrote in post #100:

Quote:
I now have a lot more facts Not going to blow anyone up, no worries there I wasted a favor on the BS already.
Directly after you wrote that, you wrote "tell her it's okay to post," as if you investigated her and now deem her "okay and not a troll."

Since the rest of post 100 is practically a tantrum about her and you are always bragging on here of your illustrious career as an ex-NY cop with tons and tons of connections and how you know just about EVERYBODY, AND I MEAN EVERYBODY, I think that might be some cause for concern for a woman living alone. But maybe I am wrong and you are right and I am blowing it out of proportion. Maybe she could not care less and thinks you are just a clown.

I do not know her personally, nor know anything about her, and have never exchanged any DMs with her. I just gave her the courtesy of not treating her like a troll and I explained several times earlier in this thread why I don't believe she is a troll.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:38 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
The two of you don't stop, do you?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-18-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
The two of you don't stop, do you?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
Oh he stops when he's completely and totally pwned and cannot try to weasel out of it ... like I pwned him in my post just above yours! Notice he stopped posting when previously he was answering back rapidfire!

Then he sneaks back way way later when he thinks enough posts and time has passed and we've forgotten. He'll be back.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Oh he stops when he's completely and totally pwned and cannot try to weasel out of it ... like I pwned him in my post just above yours! Notice he stopped posting when previously he was answering back rapidfire!

Then he sneaks back way way later when he thinks enough posts and time has passed and we've forgotten. He'll be back.
Are you off your meds again .....you follow me around and post all this crap after almost everyone off my posts

I don't do this you but you been doing it to me for years. You bring up all my posts from the past, like nothing ever changes in my life but in all fairness you do this to dozens of posters. You butt heads, intimidate, bully, everyone that doesn't agree with what you type.

I agree with a lot of your post but not all !.. doesn't make me go after you, question your knowledge on a given subject. I don't quote what you said 7 years ago or show all the battles you constantly get into Not my style....live and let live!

Stay out of my business, ignore my posts if you don't like them but please just leave me alone....and trust me I won't comment after you post because I don't do it now....I'm sick of defending myself especially when you have no clue

Keep it civil and mature, that's all I ask

Old 08-18-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Are you off your meds again .....you follow me around and post all this crap after almost everyone off my posts

I don't do this you but you been doing it to me for years. You bring up all my posts from the past, like nothing ever changes in my life but in all fairness you do this to dozens of posters. You butt heads, intimidate, bully, everyone that doesn't agree with what you type.

I agree with a lot of your post but not all !.. doesn't make me go after you, question your knowledge on a given subject. I don't quote what you said 7 years ago or show all the battles you constantly get into Not my style....live and let live!

Stay out of my business, ignore my posts if you don't like them but please just leave me alone....and trust me I won't comment after you post because I don't do it now....I'm sick of defending myself especially when you have no clue

Keep it civil and mature, that's all I ask
And you are still avoiding the subject of post #100 with this silly "woe is me" rant.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
And you are still avoiding the subject of post #100 with this silly "woe is me" rant.
What are you making a big deal of one post....I got the truth...i'm done...let it go! Let's move on like adults please It's not woe is me...it's leave me alone!
I wish my wife listen to half of what I say...You apparently listen to everything and then some, let some stuff go,relax, don't take it personal, this is the ducking web, cyber space
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island