Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 06:45 PM

909 posts, read 1,839,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm not upset.
I thought you only got involved in troll threads when someone bad mouthed your beloved Cary?

Old 08-06-2013, 06:46 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,038,802 times
You have all lost your minds... I finally get around to post in goose's better/worse poll tonight and I get shut out cause you're all certifiable to get it locked.

So I'm stuck contributing in the SC to Merrick vortex here. Which when I really think about it the pickings are slim... Grocery store in circles drama and everyone's cousin works in the service industry giving quotes?! Let's get the OP on the LIRR commuting into the city 5 days a week with ongoing forum updates. That could be huge.

... and goose - I voted worse! But really depending on your perspective it could be better - when viewed on the reality show watching car wrecks scale. The tension can be cut with a chainsaw sometimes.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:42 PM

22,686 posts, read 36,861,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
I thought you only got involved in troll threads when someone bad mouthed your beloved Cary?
I could not care less what someone's opinion is of Cary....unless they cant even spell it and spout complete and utter nonsense about it. Then I will set the record straight just in case someone is thinking of moving and needs real and true info. Just saw 2 more NY plates today so you never know!

I guess you have missed some of.my other posts that you have actually agreed with...maybe your memory is short or its the language barrier.

Feel free to put me on ignore if I bug you that much...as I said the other day it is a wonderful feature! Trust me I wont care.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 PM

909 posts, read 1,839,740 times
Quote:
I could not care less what someone's opinion is of Cary....unless they cant even spell it and spout complete and utter nonsense about it. Then I will set the record straight just in case someone is thinking of moving and needs real and true info. Just saw 2 more NY plates today so you never know!

I guess you have missed some of.my other posts that you have actually agreed with...maybe your memory is short or its the language barrier.

Feel free to put me on ignore if I bug you that much...as I said the other day it is a wonderful feature! Trust me I wont care.
You seem upset?

Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,784,862 times
Quote:
This person is not actually claiming to be in WPP, is she? Seriously I think I'm starting to lose my sanity from reading this forum.

I would also love to know what one gets for $100 per month HOA fee. We do pretty damn good here on less than half that. Must be some purty flowers they plantin' in the SC, where the trees have no leaves.

Don't forget in the midst of buying, settling in, trying every grocery store and diner and fast food place within 20 miles, setting up preschool ('cause we all know they are never full in August), going to the county seat, having work men in and out of the house AND working at her new better paying job....she found time to take the defensive driving class.

I actually think this is a superhero, not someone in the WPP.

ETA: OMG it's true:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...vity-li-3.html

Wow Twingles, I was actually willing to give her the benefit of the doubt until the witness protection thing. wow!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:23 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,788,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Wow Twingles, I was actually willing to give her the benefit of the doubt until the witness protection thing. wow!
Ok I have to set the record straight because the WPP comment caused this thread to derail Big time. Via PM exchanges, OP is definitely not in the witness protection program, apparently that old thread where she mentioned it was meant to be a joke, so moving right along, I found the observations posted from an outsider to be interesting. Putting her employment aside, I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe that she could have squared away car registration, preschool schedules, and lawn care/rooftop contractor delivery services plus grocery shopping in 1-2 days to be that hard. my husband just completed a defensive driving class ONLINE on his own time...if OP is adept at multi tasking, I have no problems believing her.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:34 PM

312 posts, read 517,041 times
The following comments were my dry sense of humor. I had no idea someone would read it and think I was serious. Also, if someone is truly in the wpp would they tell others?

"Grew up in the midwest... six years in the great state of TX (loved), two years in Arkansas, two in Idaho, 6 in Missouri, and 10 in South Carolina.

and... the witness protection program is now allowing me to move to Long Island so that means I can compare all these states in totality and make broad generalizations which won't be accurate."

I believe it was written due to some crazy comments I was reading on this forum.

On another note, every preschool I called had at least one opening. I was surprised because that is not true in many cities. I was waitlisted for a long time in my last town. Of course I did notice that there tons of preschools within a few miles of my house. There has to be a lot of competition. It may be due to a declining population of children in Nassau County.. or so I was told.

Also, the defensive driving class can easily be completed on-line in a day. You would have to be a very slow reader to take 45 minutes to read some of the chapters, so it is possible to multi-task at the same time.

I have managed to find a preschool, get a temporary driver's license, and fix or schedule to have things fixed on the house. Time flies, but I have been here almost 30 days.

Oh, and lawn service is $35 every other week. I only schedule it every other week to keep costs down.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:28 PM

414 posts, read 304,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
The following comments were my dry sense of humor. I had no idea someone would read it and think I was serious. Also, if someone is truly in the wpp would they tell others?

"Grew up in the midwest... six years in the great state of TX (loved), two years in Arkansas, two in Idaho, 6 in Missouri, and 10 in South Carolina.

and... the witness protection program is now allowing me to move to Long Island so that means I can compare all these states in totality and make broad generalizations which won't be accurate."

I believe it was written due to some crazy comments I was reading on this forum.

On another note, every preschool I called had at least one opening. I was surprised because that is not true in many cities. I was waitlisted for a long time in my last town. Of course I did notice that there tons of preschools within a few miles of my house. There has to be a lot of competition. It may be due to a declining population of children in Nassau County.. or so I was told.

Also, the defensive driving class can easily be completed on-line in a day. You would have to be a very slow reader to take 45 minutes to read some of the chapters, so it is possible to multi-task at the same time.

I have managed to find a preschool, get a temporary driver's license, and fix or schedule to have things fixed on the house. Time flies, but I have been here almost 30 days.

Oh, and lawn service is $35 every other week. I only schedule it every other week to keep costs down.
Someone from the South voluntarily moving to LI? I don't buy it. Some people from Brooklyn/Queens may move there, otherwise you are born there.

Your WPP handler is going to be really pissed.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:43 PM

312 posts, read 517,041 times
NS4Life,

Your last comment made me laugh. Love it.

Given the extremely limited number of out of state plates I am seeing (I could probably count them on one hand after 27 days.), it is not the norm to find people from out of state relocating here. I thought I was up for the challenge, so I guess we will see.

I dread giving up the SC plates. I figure they have saved me an accident or two because other drivers are a "little" more cautious and assume I have no clue what I am doing on the expressways.... Even with a NY plate, I doubt anyone will give me more than three seconds to go at a green light or after stopping at a stop sign before hitting the horn.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,721 times
SCtoLI:
I skimmed through some this thread and wanted to reply to your posts.

1. Supermarkets are abundant here. https://www.google.com/search?q=groc...res+merrick+ny
You've got trader joes, waldbaums, stop & shop, plus a king kullen in Bellmore. Plenty of options close by. Also, they do sell beer in case you were wondering because I know that might not be common in other areas.

2. Regarding the landscaper service -- beware of hidden fees. You might not be aware of this, but most landscapers will tack on extra charges (which can easily double your bill) for pesticides, lime, core aeration, etc. Make sure to ask them toward the end of the season if they are doing a fall cleanup (plus spring cleanup next season). These can easily run $200-$300 each service. They are most likely going to do it if you don't request them not to. If you have a lot of trees, it might be worth it. If not, you could probably get by without it and just rake up whatever falls on your property yourself.

3. The rude old fart you were referring to...some people just don't like kids and they won't hide it.

That's all I have for now. Good luck and congrats again.

Last edited by Pequaman; 08-06-2013 at 09:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island