Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:10 AM

42 posts, read 73,599 times

Advertisements

To take almost every thread off topic? Threads on this forum get closed pretty frequently. Mods are constantly deleted/modifying posts or giving infractions to certain members. People have resorted to posting polls whether this forum it better or worse then before. Now that threads is closed. I was just trying to post something different yesterday and that got derailed by a few members on here. Even the guy who started the "Is the forum better/worse poll" contributed and made the thread worse. What gives? Why does everyone feel the need to respond to threads when the intent is just to ruin the experience here? I'm up for a lively discussion and love to debate, but what is the point to what you guys are doing? Is it because you are hidden by some ridiculous alias? There is no way you guys could act the way you do here at home. The responses don't foster discussionor debate. It's like someone with toretts that HAS to post every time they read a thread. If you don't like what you are reading simply move to another thread. What is the motivation by some members to derail most threads on this forum?

I'm ready for the onslaught...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 06:07 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Some of it is just par for the course on the web. You can go to any random forum post 'the sky is blue' and someone will argue with you because that's what trolls do. The other half are some very bitter LIers (usually with low post counts) who for some reason can't stand the fact that not everyone is miserable here crying over property taxes and housing costs every day.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:28 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,955,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234567 View Post
To take almost every thread off topic? Threads on this forum get closed pretty frequently. Mods are constantly deleted/modifying posts or giving infractions to certain members. People have resorted to posting polls whether this forum it better or worse then before. Now that threads is closed. I was just trying to post something different yesterday and that got derailed by a few members on here. Even the guy who started the "Is the forum better/worse poll" contributed and made the thread worse. What gives? Why does everyone feel the need to respond to threads when the intent is just to ruin the experience here? I'm up for a lively discussion and love to debate, but what is the point to what you guys are doing? Is it because you are hidden by some ridiculous alias? There is no way you guys could act the way you do here at home. The responses don't foster discussionor debate. It's like someone with toretts that HAS to post every time they read a thread. If you don't like what you are reading simply move to another thread. What is the motivation by some members to derail most threads on this forum?

I'm ready for the onslaught...
Wow joined the other day and have a whopping 8 posts. ....sounds like you been here a lot longer, a lot longer.
Some of us have been here for many many years. Par for the course and its been happening since the inception of this forum. People especially from NY are opinionated, hard headed and want their views heard. Doesn't matter if your right or wrong your going to be heard on all subjects and aspects of life. It happens on a lot of others boards but I don't think even close to the extent of this place

Walk away, ignore or become part of it, it's your choice but complaining isn't going to solve or change it...every thread morphs into some off the wall topic. There are thousands of other boards that keep it civil...remember there are always more choices and options.....hope you find what your looking for. As for here, not much is going to change so man up, grow a pair because even the women on here do

Ball's are in your court but no wine with the cheese ok, well until at least you put your time in rook

Last edited by BigMike50; 08-07-2013 at 06:41 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,894 times
Guy with 8 posts is all of the sudden the forum police, unless of course you're someone who got banned and has come back under a different name.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:46 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,620,890 times
You know I was surprised by the thread closing. Man I was only on there for a sec taking in the scenery. All from what I've read reminds me of that saying..'Lead, follow or get out of the way!' Well right we're in New Yawk kids!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:48 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times
The Mets won 3-2 last night.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 AM

90 posts, read 216,835 times
what I really hate about taxes and teachers is...

Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,514 times
Threads get closed because some people are thin skinned weenies who toss out criticism and when they get it back they cry to the mods. Or the same long time foes with agendas have to play out their lover's spats on here to the tune of page after page of one line pitter pat.

My problem is that the topics are insipid and downright STUPID. Yes that's my opinion. Look at other city forums. Taxes, plumes, white stuff in the water, the new expressway, recall elections, pros and cons of areas, legal issues, state rankings, school rankings, restaurant tips. On here...and this has EXPLODED IN RECENT MONTHS...it's feet washing, IT'S A NICE DAY TODAY, Zillow makes me cry, Beer Bong, SCtoLI bizarro world (Should be titled: Relocation in the Twilight Zone), the trolls resurrecting 3 yr old posts to add NOTHING of value, just kick starting the arguments, whole threads poking fun at a certain thread that go on 10 pages longer than the original thread like it's amateur night at the world's worst comedy club. The worst are the nonsensical posts that get attacked and the OP spends 14 pages passive aggressively rehashing it and acting confused by the "attacks" like a frightened hamster on a wheel.

There are plenty of good, simple, complicated, interesting, PERTINENT posts that meet the criteria of City Data and maintain a base level of intelligence. They are getting farther and farther apart and drowned out by the weeds of the same doofus characters over and over again. Oh, forgot to mention the new user names everyday being used to try to hide identities but then they post with the same syntax, cadence, wordings and GRAMMAR errors and expect no one with half a reading wit will notice. Priceless.

I can reel off a dozen users right now that most of the old timers and even good current contributors will roll their eyes and wholeheartedly agree are just PITAs. Believe me I get DM's on it all the time when I get riled up and even mods have told me "you're right but there is nothing I can do" (usually when I'm being cited for being a meany poo poo pants to some abject 'tard). I don't need anyone to respond to my poll to know this forum has gone considerably to crap over the last year. It ticks me off. There is still a lot of good info and discourse when you've sifted through enough dreck to find it. At least 50+% of the threads start with valid premises but said issues above take them off the rails.

So yeah, I deal with it, get closer and closer to leaving (as many great posters have done) and hope it will get better and fun and smart and tough and interesting again. Nah, the weasels will prevail. That's the internet. You get what you pay for.

It's a beautiful morning here on Long Island. Overcast, 79, a little humid. I think I'll go walk in the park and pat a goose on the head and maybe eat a ham, egg and cheese on a roll.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:07 AM

I've been a lurker a long time. Read a lot but never posted.

Why start a thread about the forum going downhill but then do everything that makes it worse? That's what I don't get. Being a NYer is not an excuse. I was born in queens and grew up on LI. That's no excuse to act like a bonehead. My "balls" are growing...I'm ready for it.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:12 AM

So, why respond to a thread if you don't like it? There are threads that I am not interested in and I just pass on them. If you get so stressed out by sifted through all the garbage I would probably try and eliminate that stress from my life. It's not good for the heart.

Enjoy the beautiful day!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island