Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:13 AM

513 posts, read 837,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Technically, people have the right to do what they want to their property, it's just that their right isn't always right. Right?
Right. Their right isn't always right :-) Sometimes, technically, they don't have the right, as in legally. Many communities have zoning laws that don't allow the cutting of trees without a permit and sometimes those permits are hard to come by.

I am in the "Tree Business" and come across these situations. It's frustrating when trees should be removed but not permitted for the wrong reasons. I prefer to err on the side of doing less harm and I would rather see justification for removing trees than to allow anyone to remove any tree for any reason. I think the greater good should be considered along with relatively minor inconveniences to property owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 09:55 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Technically, people have the right to do what they want to their property, it's just that their right isn't always right. Right?
Considering if we don't pay property taxes on our property, the Town has the right to seize it! If the Town has that right, just how many rights do we actually have?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Considering if we don't pay property taxes on our property, the Town has the right to seize it! If the Town has that right, just how many rights do we actually have?
well, yeah, if you really want to get technical, we really don't own our property, it's more like a lease.
Don't pay your property taxes...bye bye house!

Old 02-24-2010, 10:06 AM

815 posts, read 2,052,435 times
George Carlin (RIP) used to say that we don't have rights. They can be taken away. They are privledges. You have the right to pay taxes.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:09 AM

Knowing my luck, I would get the neighbor who removed all the trees, and failed to pay his taxes!

Old 02-24-2010, 10:19 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Knowing my luck, I would get the neighbor who removed all the trees, and failed to pay his taxes!
Don't laugh, a customer of mine in Shirley had this next door neighbor move in, tear apart the entire house and level the lot completely and then proceeded to get forclosed on before any of the work was completed.
So now, the house is still vacant, still torn apart, no more trees, but the grass and weeds are a few feet tall. It looks hideous.
I actually remember the before, it was a nice rural tree lined block.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:12 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Here's a solution, if you guys don't like your neighbors cutting down their trees... buy their property and leave the trees there!

Old 02-24-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Here's a solution, if you guys don't like your neighbors cutting down their trees... buy their property and leave the trees there!

I know someone who has done that. Must be nice to be able to spend close to a million to preserve one's view!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:02 AM

103 posts, read 377,824 times
"The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now."
-quote from a bottlecap

I just wanted to throw that out there even though it doesn't really add anything to this thread.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:04 PM

72 posts, read 197,285 times
Default Tree removal

Sorry, bumping an old thread from almost 4 years ago, but I have to remove a bunch of healthy trees due to solar cell installation happening soon on my roof. You are going to see a lot more trees come down in neighborhoods where solar panels start going up. Any shading affects annual kWh production. No one wants to prune them every year since it affects the entire ROI of getting panels put up, you don't want any annual OPEX costs cutting into the investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island