Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:24 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,715,039 times

Advertisements

In Oyster Bay, you need a permit to cut trees.

I cut one large pine tree at the border of my property with my neighbor that kept giving me signs of a tragic event. Branches would come down during minor storms. The defining moment came when a huge branch came crashing down on my neighbors property and the sidewalk. No doubt that someone would have been killed if it hit them. The tree came down the following week along with a tree that was adjacent to house and was pushing up against my roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 01:45 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,692,013 times
Norway maples are an invasive wild tree that are native to the north shore of LI they get weak as they get old many times blowing down in storms and causing damage to a home.No one has a right to tell a home owner what to do with eliminating a danger to their propertyp

Old 01-11-2014, 03:05 PM

20,951 posts, read 28,477,125 times
We did this. What's the big deal? Our yard looked like a jungle. The trees in the yard were 15 ft. stick trees not to big. we had 4 of them. We had to cut down an 80 ft. oak tree that was smack in the middle of our front yard, it was touching power lines, it blocked the front of house. The leaves clogged our gutters.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:12 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,998,234 times
There property their tree.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:56 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,813,736 times
Not necessarily. My friend lives in the village of Patchogue. The house next door was sold and the new owner cut down about 20 huge trees. There was uproar and the owners had to replant many of the trees that bordered their property. They were also fined I believe.

This was on the ROE blvd area and it is a gorgeous area.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:03 AM

7,816 posts, read 6,402,815 times
I trimmed the hell out of a few that were blocking the sun to the pool.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 AM

755 posts, read 1,082,231 times
Default Necessary trimming

I just moved to smith town, so ignorant question here. There's no sidewalk on my street, but a large tree close to the street. I already see the branches are growing all over the power lines. In Queens, the city (or maybe it was con ed themselves) is responsible for trimming trees on sidewalks. Where do I stand? Since there's no sidewalk, is it my responsibility to trim it. That's a really old and tall tree, so it would need to be done by a professional with some sort of lift. Not really an expense I wanted to have annually.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:41 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,334,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
I just moved to smith town, so ignorant question here. There's no sidewalk on my street, but a large tree close to the street. I already see the branches are growing all over the power lines. In Queens, the city (or maybe it was con ed themselves) is responsible for trimming trees on sidewalks. Where do I stand? Since there's no sidewalk, is it my responsibility to trim it. That's a really old and tall tree, so it would need to be done by a professional with some sort of lift. Not really an expense I wanted to have annually.
It's your tree if it's on your property. Chances are your property ends 5'-10' short of the street...sidewalk or not. Generally, the utility co. is responsible for trimming tree branches interfering with power lines as, more often than not, they'd prefer your tree trimmer not damaging their lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island