Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 04:37 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
There really isn't all that much space until you go further out east. Also the Lighthouse Project was tied to the redeveloping the Nassau Hub.
I'd look east as there doesn't seem to be a demand for that (for some reason) in the TOH. Even with the premium on land I'd have to think there would be some place that could handle either an arena or a project like LH.
Time will tell if the Islanders going to Brooklyn will wake folks up to why the Island is not progressing like it could and why business is moving west. Then again maybe Long Islanders really just don't care anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 04:50 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Maybe not double, but I'd like to see a county tax bill that only went up 23% during the Suozzi reign. What you'll find is more like 50%-75% for the avg owner in the median price range. I know the wacky assessment system might have something to do with that. Suozzi also nickel-and-dimed residents in other ways, including the home energy tax. Plus he had plans on more successive 3.9% tax increases for 2010, 2011.. 2012? Let's not forget how much borrowing Suozzi did during what was a booming economy here. With all that revenue coming in, he couldve cut taxes. Mangano, OTOH, has not raised taxes - even amid plunging revenues and during the worst recession of our lifetimes, plus having to deal with the unsustainable union contracts Suozzi left us with.

Let's be real: Nassau needs a fiscal conservative in there. Mangano is the guy for that. If you're going for an unreliable tax-and-spender type, Suozzi is your guy. I can't think of any reason to vote for Suozzi. Unless of course I was a die-hard Democrat.
A fiscal conservative would produce a balanced budget, Mangano is not that person. People seem to forget that he was a legislator during the Gulotta Administration that got us to where we are today, now he's suddenly fiscally responsible. To be fair he has cut some payroll but not nearly enough. Speaking of nickel-dime Mangano has raised fees on everything from red light cameras to park fess that now exceed what would have been an energy tax, meanwhile we still have a deficit and still borrowing money to cover the budget shortfalls, sound familiar.

My preference would have been for Haber, we need someone from outside both parties.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:20 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I'd look east as there doesn't seem to be a demand for that (for some reason) in the TOH. Even with the premium on land I'd have to think there would be some place that could handle either an arena or a project like LH.
Time will tell if the Islanders going to Brooklyn will wake folks up to why the Island is not progressing like it could and why business is moving west. Then again maybe Long Islanders really just don't care anymore.
Agree. I think the areas of Melville or Hauppauge and Islandia combined are more capable than Uniondale of handling a commercial/development hub in terms of having the existing infrastructure to support more density and activity. The only hangup will be the Islanders which was a major consideration for the LH proposal. I think Wang wanted to cater to NYC-based fans as well and a place in Suffolk would have made the commute for games too burdensome.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 09-15-2013 at 05:37 PM..

Old 09-15-2013, 05:53 PM

246 posts, read 470,473 times
Since you have all the answers, you should take it a step further and run for office. Why waste your talent on a forum when you can really be useful and create, as opposed to claim to know all the answers on a faceless forum.

Ill vote you in.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:31 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Agree. I think the areas of Melville or Hauppauge and Islandia combined are more capable than Uniondale of handling a commercial/development hub in terms of having the existing infrastructure to support more density and activity. The only hangup will be the Islanders which was a major consideration for the LH proposal. I think Wang wanted to cater to NYC-based fans as well and a place in Suffolk would have made the commute for games too burdensome.
I hadn't ever thought of the Islanders being an NYC team, though they are now. I can't think of one of my city born Ranger fan uncles rooting for the Islanders even after living there for decades. Of course we young ones were all Islander fans.

I do wonder if someone built a world class arena in one of those areas if they wouldn't have a pro-team within 10 years. That's depending on if even Long Islanders are now looking west for all things sports. After all the Islanders aren't the first team that we lost.

Just wondering, did the high restrictions at Hauppauge get lifted? Sounds like they really want to grow and that was in the way.
Islandia is one of the places that I thought would have really boomed after CA moved in and given it's pretty close to being the center of the Island.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:31 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Yes, she represents patronage and arm twisting. It will take a VERY angry and involved electorate to change it and while there is plenty of the former, the latter is nowhere to be found. ToH is it's own weird repub entity. They don't work well with Nassau or Albany repubs OR dems.
Why is there no max number of terms? Seems the situation is suited perfectly for having a limit.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:14 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
A fiscal conservative would produce a balanced budget, Mangano is not that person. People seem to forget that he was a legislator during the Gulotta Administration that got us to where we are today, now he's suddenly fiscally responsible. To be fair he has cut some payroll but not nearly enough. Speaking of nickel-dime Mangano has raised fees on everything from red light cameras to park fess that now exceed what would have been an energy tax, meanwhile we still have a deficit and still borrowing money to cover the budget shortfalls, sound familiar.

My preference would have been for Haber, we need someone from outside both parties.
Better to have higher red light camera fees than a regressive energy tax. Nassau is running surpluses now.

New York State Awards Nassau County $5M For Cost Savings that Led to 2012 Budget Surplus

Mangano delivers third no-property tax hike budget

What worries me now is this new PBA contract. Mangano might be "giving the keys away" again to get reelected. I think it's going to cost us big in the short term with possibly meager savings 15-20 years from now.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:38 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Why is there no max number of terms? Seems the situation is suited perfectly for having a limit.
There certainly should be.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:24 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Better to have higher red light camera fees than a regressive energy tax. Nassau is running surpluses now.

New York State Awards Nassau County $5M For Cost Savings that Led to 2012 Budget Surplus

Mangano delivers third no-property tax hike budget

What worries me now is this new PBA contract. Mangano might be "giving the keys away" again to get reelected. I think it's going to cost us big in the short term with possibly meager savings 15-20 years from now.
If Nassau has a budget surplus then there is no need for NIFA. The increase in fees is no less regressive than any other tax, just more subtle and hidden in many areas.

Agree on the PBA contract, pretty much giving away quite a bit and pushing it into the future.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:36 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Just wondering, did the high restrictions at Hauppauge get lifted? Sounds like they really want to grow and that was in the way.
Islandia is one of the places that I thought would have really boomed after CA moved in and given it's pretty close to being the center of the Island.
What restrictions would these be? I would have thought large tracts of Hauppauge and Islandia would have been zoned for commercial use. Proximity to the airport is also an advantage,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island