Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:35 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times

Advertisements

They also probably didn't speak English too well. I have to remind my mother, who is critical of recent immigrants only speaking Spanish, that her grandmother spoke only Italian despite living in the US for 60 years.

What's more important, however, is that the aging boomers behind the Tea Party and other anti-government movements made it out of poverty in part due to the social safety nets that were set up after WW2 by their parents. Now that many of them have made it, they're trying to kick the ladder out behind them by pushing for service cuts.

Food stamps? Lousy leeches. Why just the other day I saw some URBAN person in the supermarket, paid for a 850oz porterhouse and a case of Dom with their SNAP card, and got into their Bugatti. What, the vast majority of SNAP recipients have a child, a disabled person, or a senior citizen in their home? F 'em!

P.S., to those complaining about the thread being derailed, there's no news to report. Guy is still at large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 01:00 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
In your post you made it sound like your nuclear family you personally grew up in, leaving the reader to assume that.

As for your ancestors in the times of the great migration from Europe to America, yes, many new European immigrants lived in those horrendous conditions. Most of them were criminals back then and in the next generation too (no better than petty criminals or gangbangers of today) in order to feed their families, although their ancestors, like you, either know nothing of it or prefer to sanitize it.
Don't assume. I'm actually quite familiar with what my family did to dig out of poverty. Every dirty job digging tunnels, working in a slaughter house, laundry lady, janitors, working in boiler rooms, running booze during prohibition, working as firemen, paramedics, cops, the list goes on. For the most part the one thing they didn't do was sit there making excuses for their situation and they certainly didn't shoot their own. Each generation did a little bit better than the last until all of us second and third gens were out of the ditch and continuing the trend to a better life, rather than continuing a thug life.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
What's more important, however, is that the aging boomers behind the Tea Party and other anti-government movements made it out of poverty in part due to the social safety nets that were set up after WW2 by their parents. Now that many of them have made it, they're trying to kick the ladder out behind them by pushing for service cuts.
Didn't have that, they did have their faith and the local churches that helped them out.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:35 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Don't assume. I'm actually quite familiar with what my family did to dig out of poverty. Every dirty job digging tunnels, working in a slaughter house, laundry lady, janitors, working in boiler rooms, running booze during prohibition, working as firemen, paramedics, cops, the list goes on. For the most part the one thing they didn't do was sit there making excuses for their situation and they certainly didn't shoot their own. Each generation did a little bit better than the last until all of us second and third gens were out of the ditch and continuing the trend to a better life, rather than continuing a thug life.
.....so your family did this, and now you're the hero.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:37 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
My guess is that Mr. Kim committed suicide in those woods ... years from now his remains will be found.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Nope, just someone who appreciates where he came from. How about you?

Old 09-27-2013, 05:20 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
My guess is that Mr. Kim committed suicide in those woods ... years from now his remains will be found.
Who? Oh that's right...I forgot what this thread was about.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:15 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
My guess is that he called a friend and had them pick him up and drive him over some unmanned Canadian border crossing a long time ago and parking near the woods was a ruse from the start.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What is that saying you like ... born on third and thought they hit a triple ... (J/K! J/K!)

Old 09-30-2013, 11:39 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,810 times
Colleague just told me the body of the shooter was found in the Hudson River over in upper Rockland County.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island