Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:14 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Us normal folk need to fight tooth and nail to even get a permit to OWN a gun. Regardless of how much training we get.
Maybe you should have become a cop. I still dont see the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 11:02 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Us normal folk need to fight tooth and nail to even get a permit to OWN a gun. Regardless of how much training we get.
You nailed it by saying 'normal folks'

I was trained both in the military and police dept. I had to qualify with my firearm twice a year for many many years. I also had to sit in instructional classes and go through all high pressure scenarios of the use or don't use your weapon. I had to fully understand when it was justifiable to use a firearm and know the law 100%. I had to use a firearm in the course of my employment and unfortunately had to use it a few times.

All law enforcement personnel go through this extensive training and should have more rights when it comes to carrying a firearm.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:52 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post

All law enforcement personnel go through this extensive training and should have more rights when it comes to carrying a firearm.
That creates a slippery slope. If all men are created equal, why should some have more rights than others? If we have a police department which has been abusive at all levels, should they have more rights than the regular law-abiding Joe?

Old 12-22-2013, 01:31 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
There are plenty of training classes that "normal folks" can do to get just as much training as an LEO.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That creates a slippery slope. If all men are created equal, why should some have more rights than others? If we have a police department which has been abusive at all levels, should they have more rights than the regular law-abiding Joe?
Rights? A carry permit is a privilege like your driver's license

Quote:
There are plenty of training classes that "normal folks" can do to get just as much training as an LEO.
Training and real life experiences are different. A classroom is a controlled environment, real life law enforcement is not... trust me on this.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Training and real life experiences are different. A classroom is a controlled environment, real life law enforcement is not... trust me on this.
I agree, but what about those LEOs that (thankfully) do not ever have to draw their firearm?

Old 12-22-2013, 03:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Rights? A carry permit is a privilege like your driver's license
Exactly. Yet earlier you wrote that law enforcement should have more "rights" to carry a firearm. "Rights " was the term you wrote, and why I responded. A carry permit is a privilege for everyone. LEOs might have different training, but they are no more deserving the privilege to carry than a properly trained civillian.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Exactly. Yet earlier you wrote that law enforcement should have more "rights" to carry a firearm. "Rights " was the term you wrote, and why I responded. A carry permit is a privilege for everyone. LEOs might have different training, but they are no more deserving the privilege to carry than a properly trained civillian.
I think something is lost in translation... I do believe that everyone that qualifies( no felons, those convicted of a misdemeanor of domestic violence, those found to be addicted to alcohol or drugs, and those who have been involuntarily committed to a mental institution)has a right to a carry permit.

What I'm trying to point out is that LEO are god fathered in and should have that right due to training,experiences,employment, decision making, understanding of the laws,etc,etc THEY have already proven themselves by carrying a firearm during their careers unlike your average civilian. That's how I view it and I don't mine your not agreeing with my opinion.

Last edited by BigMike50; 12-22-2013 at 04:57 PM..

Old 12-22-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
THEY have already proven themselves by carrying a firearm during their careers unlike your average civilian. That's how I view it and I don't mine your not agreeing with my opinion.
You can't really call this a fair comparison because average civilians aren't even allowed to carry a firearm.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
You can't really call this a fair comparison because average civilians aren't even allowed to carry a firearm.
I know around 9 people that had full carry on the island and of that 9... 2 of them had it revoked. I know 100's of retired officers and never heard of any of them losing their carry permits, not to say that hasn't happen.

I know a lot of civilians get approved each year and I know it's a slow and drawn out process but there are plenty of them on the island as well as the city. Certain business especially the ones In the jewelry or deal with large sums of cash do get expedited before the average joe also. Do you really think everyone should be carrying ? Trust me there are 1000's of people on the island with full carry. The island is a nice safe place and I don't really see the need why so many would have to arm themselves.

Aren't you in GA. Should be a piece of cake to get... I know here in VA it's as easy as pie for anyone that qualifies.

Last edited by BigMike50; 12-22-2013 at 08:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island