Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:05 AM

703 posts, read 1,174,449 times

Advertisements

Anyone else wish their school district would adopt a dress code which includes uniforms?

This has many benefits:

- less distracting (no chatter about who is wearing what)

- cheaper

- saves time (less shopping, less time choosing outfits)

- mitigates promiscuous or provocative statements made via clothing (e.g. insult t-shirts)

- helps all kids fit in

- easier to get kids to dress appropriately for the weather.

- fosters less materialism

Anyone agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 10:32 AM

28 posts, read 44,975 times
no

Old 12-27-2013, 10:33 AM

28 posts, read 44,975 times
More importantly...Have you found mongoose?

Old 12-27-2013, 10:35 AM

562 posts, read 1,058,902 times
As someone who wore a uniform for 13 years, not all of these are true.

1) Cost. Unless the district has a "any khaki pants and dress shirt" type policy, it's not cheaper if you have specific items you must buy. I was required to have a least two uniform skirts (summer and winter), four summer shirts, two winter shirts, a sweater, gym shorts, gym tee, gym sweatpants, and gym sweatshirt. That's not to mention socks, tights (which had to be replaced when they had runs or holes, and that costs money at $5-$10 a pair), and summer and winter shoes. With the exception of the last items, you can only buy the uniforms at one retailer on Long Island. (Or hope you could get hand-me-downs from another student). Many of the items needed replacement year after year due to growth or wear-and-tear.

2) It doesn't help kids fit in. Whether you have uniforms are not, if you're not part of the in crowd, you're not going to be part of the in crowd. Uniforms have no effect on social circles. Your hair could be odd, your mannerisms could be odd, your shoes could be odd. You may not be wearing the trendiest jacket or hair accessories. You're going to stand out whether or not you're wearing a uniform.

3) It certainly does not foster less materialism. There are plenty of other opportunities to show materialism - in the gadgets and school materials you carry around, your jewelry, your backpack, your coat, what you wear on dress up/dress down days, the toys you play with. Uniforms do not hide that.

4) And unless the school is fairly strict in its discipline, girls will be rolling their skirts up and trying to get away with whatever little sexy thing they can.

Overall, I do agree with their being less distracting, saves time, mitigates most promiscuity/provocativeness, and easier to dress appropriately for the weather.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:40 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Yeah I would be in favor of a simple but broad dress code....like "you can wear blue or tan shorts" or whatever. I'm sure it would save most parents a lot of heartache in the morning. I had a neighbor in NY whose child had wayyyy too many clothes for a then-8-year-old and she would complain every morning about the girl ripping apart her closet. Her own fault, but I'm sure she's not alone.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:10 PM

159 posts, read 408,798 times
Yes absolutely

Old 12-27-2013, 02:20 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
Anyone else wish their school district would adopt a dress code which includes uniforms?

This has many benefits:

- less distracting (no chatter about who is wearing what)

- cheaper

- saves time (less shopping, less time choosing outfits)

- mitigates promiscuous or provocative statements made via clothing (e.g. insult t-shirts)

- helps all kids fit in

- easier to get kids to dress appropriately for the weather.

- fosters less materialism

Anyone agree?
Reads like the sales pitch the uniform manufactures use to convince communities to adopt this concept. I have only seen this applied in economically challenged districts. If anything it makes it harder to identify the student who committed the offense, they are all dressed the same...

Old 12-27-2013, 02:50 PM

703 posts, read 1,174,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Reads like the sales pitch the uniform manufactures use to convince communities to adopt this concept. I have only seen this applied in economically challenged districts. If anything it makes it harder to identify the student who committed the offense, they are all dressed the same...
Thanks, but that's not my line of work!
Anyway I'm thinking more of "tan khakis" of no particular brand with a colored polo shirt. No visible logos. You can get the items at Walmart, Gap, or Nordstrom, your choice.

No way folks would sign up, but just wanted to discuss.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:04 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
I hate them.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,450 times
nope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island