Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:30 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Long Island Forum,

I'm a few years away from being thirty, and I want a change of scenery. I think I would like it better in New York, really. I'm currently from a small city in the South, though, and, based on the information I've gotten from asking this question in the past, I'm thinking that I have no idea what I want to get myself into. The main problem I've heard about with New York is that apartment living is very expensive and inconvenient. Is it like that in Long Island, too? Do you think I should try this move or just maybe try another state, instead? Do you have any opinions on New Jersey?

Here's a little more information:

I don't make a whole lot of money, but I average about a normal teaching salary, although I only substitute teach and do private tutoring. I was also thinking about maybe picking up some freelance writing.

It's likely that I will have a master's degree and be certified to teach ESL before making this move.

Colleges and schools are very important to me. I don't want to go to a new city without attending some kind of school. I would prefer going to a CUNY or maybe a New York community college for an enhancement to my current degree, maybe something related to creative writing, art, film, or drama. New York has awesome schools.

Also, well, I'll need to work. I would assume that ESL teachers are in-demand in the state of New York because it's the immigration capitol, but I don't know that. I'm also assuming that an ESL teacher who is native to the city would be chosen over an outsider, so I'm not that sure about my job prospects.

Believe it or not, I can't really say that I've ever "gone out," because there just isn't a lot to do around here. I like the idea of being able to get out and meet new people, maybe learn about new startups in the city, and, generally, become better educated about the world around me. For some reason, I just think it would be easier to do that in New York, where everyone doesn't know everyone else, than here, where people know just enough about each other to cause trouble.

Why I want to go:

I've heard that living in New York is like living on a giant college campus. There's always something new to learn that fits your niche.

Many artists and writers live in NY.

There are film schools and opportunities for young artists, writers, and talent to learn and grow into skilled professionals.

There are many important people who can help make a dream happen. It has some of the best networking opportunities in the United States.

New York businesses just seem to understand people. The best marketing and advertising strategies were dreamed up in New York. I get the idea that a person with bad communication skills could benefit tremendously from living in NY.

Since it's a huge city, there are more beneficial programs. It's easier for people to find jobs probably, because there is a bigger employment office. It's easier to learn important skills that will set you apart, because there are so many guilds and associations to join. This place sounds awesome. I've never been there, though, so I don't really know if it's a move I should try to make or even a move that I can make.

It may also be important to note that I'm not planning to stay. I just want to gain apex communication and art skills so that I can do extremely well wherever I go next.

What's your opinion? Should I try the move or do something smaller first?

Last edited by krmb; 01-04-2014 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:22 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
you're looking for the Manhattan lifestyle and with it comes NYC housing costs. Staying on LI or even Queens will not give you the same experience. It may not be financially worthwhile (to build your skills as you mention) or feasible given what you stated. At the very least, you could look into salaries and job opportunities in the city and then pit it against housing costs. There's a NYC forum.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:27 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
New York City is an unforgiving city. Unless you really have your ducks in a row before coming here, it'll eat you alive.

If you try to move to NYC, have some hefty savings and place to move back to if things don't pan out. I'm sorry, but that's just reality.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:45 AM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
I think living in Manhattan for certain amount time is great thing for most people, young or old, with two caveats: 1) costs and 2) planning.

1. Costs: it takes a bundle of cash to live there. Rents are astronomical as is the cost of living. And those artist colonies you may have heard of, like Greenpoint or Fort Green, well they're like Soho or Tribeca were twenty (ten?) years ago. But I do hear of lot's of young people still eeking an existence out on a shoestring. Just be prepared.

2. Planning: work, live and love in the city, but leave before it hardens you. The city can be tough, can you be tough?

That said, I think the city is better than ever, although it may have lost some of it's grittiness over the last n years of high real estate prices. As I get older, I really do see the city for what it offers and there is a tremendous amount to see, learn and experience. And you don't have to worry that some crackhead will steal your car radio these days!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:52 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Austin Cool.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
If you arrive in NY with a master's in teaching and an ESL certificate, you will still find it hard to get a teaching job on LI, which has a lot of competition, but you should be able to find something teaching within the NYC school system, as it is huge. Judging by what you want to do, I would advise living in Manhattan with roommates (no car) or one of the outer boroughs of NYC in a small apartment by yourself in an affordable neighborhood instead of LI, because you could save money by possibly not having a car and using public transportation there (MetroCard =unlimited public transport on buses and subways $112 a month). Living in most parts of LI entails having a car to get around on LI and using the Long Island Railroad (expensive) in addition to subways and/or buses to get around in NYC. CUNY schools should also be less expensive if you are a NYC resident. Ask in the NYC forum about affordable and safe neighborhoods in the outer boroughs for yourself and people will make suggestions.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:01 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Get the "romantic" dreams of NY out of your mind. You will be just one of the many searching for work and living on a subsistance level in some apartment in a semi-ghetto. Forget the idea you will meet the movers and shakers, you dont have the money or connections for that. You will be just one of the artistic types who struggle to pay for a latte at starbucks.

Even teaching jobs in the city are tough to get. NYC schools hire by each individual school, so if you arent the principles friend, relative, or friend of the principles friend, you will not get a job.

Come visit...figure out your budget, then look for a place that is affordable. When you see the rat trap you will have to live in, you might change your mind

Old 01-04-2014, 12:26 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
Honestly? Forget it. You could probably find work and an "affordable place" (read: craphole), but your quality of life will be zero. If you're set on relocating, choose somewhere else. Somewhere cheaper and with better career opportunities. You're a teacher...use that vacation time to take a few trips here. Unless you are very well off, NYC is a great place to visit, but a terrible place to live.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:46 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I have to agree with the others. You have a very romantiicized vision of NY.

First of all rents on Long Island are not cheap at all. It is also more family-minded and not conducive for young adult relocation. NYC is more appropriate for that. To get a a rental in NYC, most landlords require proof of income, often with a minimum amount. You would have to find someone who is interested in getting a roommate because you wouldn't be able to lease on your own.

Since the late 70s, the teaching market in the NY suburbs have been over-saturated in all fields. Officially, the NYC board of ed has a hiring freeze, although there are ways sometimes to get around that. There are tons of ESL applicants for every opening and TFA kids are being used instead of certified teachers. You would also need to get NY state certification first, even to sub. A master's degree does not make you more competitive since that is a requirement for certification. Also NY has their own state teacher tests so you would have to take those first. The only thing that I could think of that would make you stand out competively is if you are bilingual in Chinese, Russian, Arabic, Korean, maybe another East European language. Spanish-speaking ESL teachers are also needed, but there is not that much of shortage of them.

Even though it may seem like there are more employment opportunities in NY because there may be more industry and companies here than where you come from, you must remember there are more people here to take those opportunties and competition is fierce. There are probably lower-cost cities that would be more suitable for your career aspirations and the declining writing/publshing industry can all be done remotely now. I'd say that if you have enough money to live here unemployed for a year and could easily return home if necessary, you could take a stab at it and try to make some connections and take a few classes. Otherwise, I'd make other plans.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:03 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
MikeyKid had a (possible) good suggestion: Austin TX!

Don't know about employment opportunities in your field, but rents are a lot lower and it's a lively, "young", hip city! A lot of what you're looking for can be found there. Why not do some research?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: