Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 04:13 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times

Advertisements

It takes more attention from me to stay below 55 than to go the normal speed - speed of traffic. Did someone mention stress-free leaving with plenty of time? I'm not in a hurry, I just want to drive NORMALLY.

It's the difference between crawling and walking to me.

BTW, the Clearview straightaway dragstrip - err Expressway is 50mph. What a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 04:57 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Will 65 MPH speed limits be restored along the freeways in Eastern LI. For all I know, a speed limit of 55 makes no sense beyond exit 42 on the LIE. Very few people actually go at that speed. Most are traveling at least 65 from what I have observed during my frequent trips. The road can surely handle such speeds, and NYS has raised the bar for speed limits to 65 MPH already in 1995. Why wasn't it ever implemented on the freeways in eastern LI. Is there a political reason behind this. Can anyone shed light on this issue.
It's still 55 and will remain even though everyone drives 65+ and there are no freeways in Long Island. There is the expressway (LIE) and there are parkways.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:59 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
It's still 55 and will remain even though everyone drives 65+ and there are no freeways in Long Island. There is the expressway (LIE) and there are parkways.
Then what's NY 27 east of Islip called .

Old 01-16-2014, 10:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
Driving below the flow of traffic is actually dangerous. By doing so, drivers behind will most likely to pass you. Passing requires changing lanes, and every time one changes lanes, there is a heightened risk of an accident since the driver may not look thoroughly or check his blind spots. Therefore, driving at 55 miles an hour causes accidents.

Besides, LIE traffic flows WAY over 55... a report from a while stated 65, but my guess is 70. If traffic speeds follow a standard distribution ranging from about 50 to about 90, only around 10% of drivers are actually following the speed limit. Ten percent! How can there exist a law that 90% of the population can safely ignore? Accidents are caused by lack of attention to other cars and the road-- not by driving at the same speed as everyone else. I can think of one other moment in history where we had a folly of a law that everyone ignored and was eventually repealed-- Prohibition.

Also, can someone please explain to me the logical gap between having the same exact speed limit on an interstate and roads with traffic lights, buildings, and pedestrians (Jericho Turnpike, 454, etc)? Are you trying to say that traffic flows at the same rate on the LIE and on the 454? Is traveling at 56 miles an hour on Route 454 as dangerous as doing so on the LIE?

At a certain point, we have to sit back and accept that people in power are incapable of logic.
Repeal of Prohibition was brought about by two factors: the loss of alcohol-related tax revenue and decreased income tax revenue caused by the great depression. It had little to do with people ignoring the law. 55 mph on the LIE has much to do with revenue from tickets. As your distribution indicated only 10% of people are obeying the speed limit. How much would that number increase if the speed limit were increased to 65? How much ticket revenue would the counties and state lose?

Old 01-16-2014, 10:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
NY 27 is called Sunrise Highway both east and west of Islip.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:46 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Repeal of Prohibition was brought about by two factors: the loss of alcohol-related tax revenue and decreased income tax revenue caused by the great depression. It had little to do with people ignoring the law. 55 mph on the LIE has much to do with revenue from tickets. As your distribution indicated only 10% of people are obeying the speed limit. How much would that number increase if the speed limit were increased to 65? How much ticket revenue would the counties and state lose?
They can just do what they did for the interstates upstate. increase the speed limits to 65mph and double the speeding fines.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:44 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Pre 1974 limits could be safely restored for the LIE. I would love to see 65 mph signs :

Long Island Expressway (I-495)

Old 01-18-2014, 04:56 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Highway!!! 27 and 27A are Sunrise Highway and Montauk Highway, not freeway.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:46 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Will 65 MPH speed limits be restored along the freeways in Eastern LI. For all I know, a speed limit of 55 makes no sense beyond exit 42 on the LIE. Very few people actually go at that speed. Most are traveling at least 65 from what I have observed during my frequent trips. The road can surely handle such speeds, and NYS has raised the bar for speed limits to 65 MPH already in 1995. Why wasn't it ever implemented on the freeways in eastern LI. Is there a political reason behind this. Can anyone shed light on this issue.
LI doesn't have "freeways"... nice try though.

I do agree though that the speed limits here are way too slow and 65 would make a lot of sense, but also agree with Karl in that it is not likely to happen.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:49 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
Has anyone ever gotten ticketed for going between 55 and 65? I doubt it, and really, I don't think it would matter what the speed limit is.
They should. Speeding is speeding. It would be silly if someone actually did get a ticket for that, but I mean it would be justified. I think though that as long as you are keeping up with the flow of traffic, you are not likely to get a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island