Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 04:17 PM

622 posts, read 853,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
There were reports that people called pseg and they said they were adapting to a new billing system and there have been unexpected results. Call them.
Any more details on this?

Why am I not surprised. It's NYPS, Gov Andy and the rest of the NY energy complex at its finest.

My take is PSE&G is flattening the outstanding amounts due Nat'l Grid before continuing balanced billing and this is why I have a $700 nat'l gas bill for 28 days during January. Ridiculous, really. Ridiculous despite the extremely cold winter we've had thus far.

I will call and post what I find out from customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 07:51 AM

52 posts, read 112,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
The highest I set my thermostat is 66! It's not cold. At night I turn it down to 60. When I get up in the morning the thermometer on my desk reads 62. So I turn the heat back up to 66. I'm never not comfortable.

I have FHW baseboards. You couldn't pay me to have FHA. Been there, done that - paid the bills.

My gas bill Dec-Jan was fairly close to last year's for the same period in terms of therms. About a 9% increase in amount due though.
OK let me get this straight, you are not cold at 60 ? Were you born in north poll ? I cant keep my temp below 70 with out my wife or daughter complaining they are cold.... My son had a heat allergy and the doctor said to keep the temp in the house between 69-73... I dont know how you guys are ok with temp in 60s its cold....

I might just give PSEG a call to see what they said.... but im 100% convinced its the blowers and its due to low temp outside and my furnace running closer to 16 hours per day.....

Old 02-03-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeLIPerson24 View Post
OK let me get this straight, you are not cold at 60 ? Were you born in north poll ? I cant keep my temp below 70 with out my wife or daughter complaining they are cold.... My son had a heat allergy and the doctor said to keep the temp in the house between 69-73... I dont know how you guys are ok with temp in 60s its cold....

I might just give PSEG a call to see what they said.... but im 100% convinced its the blowers and its due to low temp outside and my furnace running closer to 16 hours per day.....
So PSEG said they`ll come to check the meter that's it, noting else

Old 02-03-2014, 09:33 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeLIPerson24 View Post

How can I be cold if I'm wearing pj's and have a blanket and light comforter over me?

My heat is not on right now... and it's been snowing all day. I turned it down around 5pm to 60. It's still 68, 6-1/2 hours later. I think this room picks up heat from all the computer equipment and lights. I'm wearing a cotton turtleneck and sweatpants and fluffy socks - no shoes and am quite comfortable.

No.. no North Pole. Washington DC area!

One piece of clothing advice - no synthetics.........unless it's polar fleece. Acrylics, etc. don't keep you warm. Stick with natural fabrics.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
How can I be cold if I'm wearing pj's and have a blanket and light comforter over me?

My heat is not on right now... and it's been snowing all day. I turned it down around 5pm to 60. It's still 68, 6-1/2 hours later. I think this room picks up heat from all the computer equipment and lights. I'm wearing a cotton turtleneck and sweatpants and fluffy socks - no shoes and am quite comfortable.

One piece of clothing advice - no synthetics.........unless it's polar fleece. Acrylics, etc. don't keep you warm. Stick with natural fabrics.

LOL.... Well if you have other stuff to keep the temp closer to 70 that makes sense, because 60 is cold...

Old 02-04-2014, 09:21 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
My thermostat is set on 60 right now. When I woke up at 6 am it was 66. I haven't touched the thermostat at all since I turned it down last evening and presently with the sun shining through the windows on the southside it is 69.7F in every room.

Different story here in the summer with the a/c though.

You should probably get an energy audit done at the least to see where you are losing heat.

FHA always has cold spots........that's why I have FHW.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:15 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
I called PSEG this morning..they claim my estimated usage is just a bit higher than last January's, which was also an estimate, and that the period is 3 days longer. There's supposed to be an actual reading in February. Based on the little graph on my bill, the estimated usage looks a good 200 KWH higher than last January's, but I was too tired from shoveling to even argue. I'll see what happens in February.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:33 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:

Love my SmartWool socks!

Old 02-05-2014, 08:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Received my PSEG bill. Balanced billing and they raised it $80 --despite my having paid more than I've used to date.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:41 AM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Received my PSEG bill. Balanced billing and they raised it $80 --despite my having paid more than I've used to date.
Yup, it goes only one way. From what I'm reading on this thread and what I've seen in my first PSE&G bill, they're wasting no time raising the billing bar.

National Grid was famous for forecasting revenue from residential customers. If that revenue was looking below forecast, they'd simply raise one of the rates in your bill so that even if you weren't using more nat'l gas, it appeared as though you were. In other words, you were being billed for ng that you didn't use, simple because they had to hit forecasted numbers. Very illegal and unscrupulous in some places, not so in NY/LI.

Right now, nat'l gas has rallied a good 1.50/btu on the futures market. This is, as it always is, a seasonal rally based on the extreme cold the country is experiencing with the polar vortex. Once winter thaws and spring comes, this rally will also ebb and ng will return to 3.00/btu. Notice though, your ng bills will stay the same, as they always do. Of course, if you're on balanced billing, you won't even notice. It's like taking candy from a baby.

Stay warm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island