Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:05 AM

487 posts, read 545,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinbikegirl23 View Post
Jericho is great for some families--just not us We have met some wonderful families in Jericho, but by and large we find it is a poor fit for us. We are both transplants, he more so than I--he is Nordic and has been exposed to a very different approach to education. I was fortunate to have lived in different countries growing up, so I have also been exposed to a variety of school systems. My husband and I are both professionals and haven't been hurt in any way by not attending ivy leagues (I actually turned one down and went to a "lesser" school because I was granted a full academic scholarship--didn't want to turn that down! I still managed to get my PhD without the Ivy League education. Ivy Leagues are great of course, but they represent just one path to success.Anyway, certainly not to start an argument here, just trying to find a better fit for my family. For our situation, and our kids' personalities, a "high powered" environment (translation: very high stress) will only inhibit them. I want them challenged of course, but content and happy as well. In my view, too much stress inhibits and interferes with learning. Anyway, to address the question as to why we are drawn to Locust Valley and North Shore, we find those areas to be prettier--we are nature loving and find the area quite nice in that regard.
I again have to say that I have so much respect for putting the emotional well being of your family first. Making this change is the right choice for your family - that is what is important. They will do well because you are obviously an involved parent putting your chikdren's needs first and wanting the best for them. I know people who taught and attended both of the school districts you are interested in for your family. They are great school districts. There are so many variables that affect the statistics of school districts (size, demographics, etc./ comparing apples and pears in simple terms). They have a lot to offer your children in the environment that will make them thrive. You do not need to defend your decision to people who do not have the same priorities as you. Good luck!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 08:29 AM

487 posts, read 545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
You may regret this decision if/when you discover your child is academically at the top of his class. It is for the top students that the benefit of a Jericho school system and the lacking of LV and NS become apparent. Realize, Jericho, Manhasset and GNS send anywhere from 10-15% of their students (30-40 students) to Ivies + other top ten schools, LV and NS are lucky to send a handful.

If you don't have high academic aspirations for your child then it doesn't really matter the high school, LV and NS are average LI SDs, so why not NHP or Mineola?
Jericho, Garden City and Manhasset are not everyone's dream for their families or perhaps they cannot afford to live in these districtst. This does not take away from them having high aspirations and wanting the best for their chikdren. There are MANY families who have high academic aspirations for their children in every district - and in the districts that you reference - Mineola and New Hyde Park. They are very respected districts and many of their students do well. There are many district not in the too ten (which so many people are hung up on) that are great and the right fit for children/families. They turn out to be successful, productive and happy individuals. That is what I want for my children ..... and being good, compassionate individuals.

On a different note, there is an epidemic of young children suffering with anxiety. People do not want this for their children, especially as teenagers and into adulthood. Putting the emotional well being and happiness of their children should be the first priority. That is what the OP is doing and will succeed.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:23 AM

5,049 posts, read 3,953,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Just curious- any reason you aren't considering Cold Spring Harbor? It's considered to be a better district than NS or LV but isn't as high-pressure as Jericho. Perfect if you want a pretty area with lots of nature too...

Here is an eyeopener: National Merit Finalist Stats for 2013: Jericho 18, Syosset 18, HHH E 10, HHH W 5, Commack 3, CSH 2, Locust Valley 1, Huntington 1.

Evaluating CSH's academic rigor/academic achievements (given wealth, homogeneity, and parental education) is a bit tricky. Statistically (broadly speaking), they are nonetheless at the top in Suffolk.

Student wealth (and cost of homes) and extreme homogeneity (highest in New York State?) may not appeal to some parents...not so sure academics/student environment is better than that of LV and NS.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:24 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,663,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Assuming you are serious there are many families with the highest academic aspirations for their children who do not attend JER, MAN, GNS ...and those children fulfill those high academic aspirations. Secondly, the OP wants to live on the north shore which she finds prettier and more nature-oriented. Thirdly, when a parent decides what is best for his/her children there are many criteria - and may certainly include the highest academic aspirations among this criteria. Finally, you may be thinking of a different North Shore High School in your generalization (see above post).
I am very serious. My post is directed to the OP, and only to the OP, who is contemplating a change and should be aware of what they are giving up. Perhaps I wasn't clear, but I don't see where my post suggests a general theory of academic aspiration, college acceptance and success in life directed to all LI parents. It's a fact, there are SDs on LI that are able to provide the very best academic opportunities for their children and NSSD or LVSD are not one of them.

And no, I am not thinking of a different NSSD, I live in the district, and am very involved in the SD as a community member. When we moved here umpteen years ago NSSD was considered a top five LI district. No longer - our AP scores, SAT scores and performance on ESL and math assessments have drifted downward over the past decade. Very rarely does NSSD have an NMS finalist or Intel/Siemens winner or for that matter any appearance at a national level academic competition. You can wax poetic about how nice the SD is but the fact is on every educational metric it is nothing to brag about.

Having stated some of it's failings NSSD is not a BAD district - for my children who are not academically inclined it is perfect.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:57 PM

5,049 posts, read 3,953,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
I am very serious. My post is directed to the OP, and only to the OP, who is contemplating a change and should be aware of what they are giving up. Perhaps I wasn't clear, but I don't see where my post suggests a general theory of academic aspiration, college acceptance and success in life directed to all LI parents. It's a fact, there are SDs on LI that are able to provide the very best academic opportunities for their children and NSSD or LVSD are not one of them.

And no, I am not thinking of a different NSSD, I live in the district, and am very involved in the SD as a community member. When we moved here umpteen years ago NSSD was considered a top five LI district. No longer - our AP scores, SAT scores and performance on ESL and math assessments have drifted downward over the past decade. Very rarely does NSSD have an NMS finalist or Intel/Siemens winner or for that matter any appearance at a national level academic competition. You can wax poetic about how nice the SD is but the fact is on every educational metric it is nothing to brag about.

Having stated some of it's failings NSSD is not a BAD district - for my children who are not academically inclined it is perfect.
Given this snarky and completely erroneous exchange I thought you were unfamiliar with the district:

Originally Posted by kmrlongisland
Wow. You obviously did not read my post carefully and decided to overlay your poorly thought out socio-eco-edu judgments on to it. Notice, no mention was made of a correlation between college attended and some metric of success.

I'll go slow for you - if it is your personal belief that matriculating at a top university is a worthy goal then it may be shortsighted choosing NS or LV over a district that has a proven history of their students attending top universities.

FYI - There never has been a graduating class of 304 at NS. So, are you making stuff up?

ocngypz: 1973 my class was 304. At that time, the student population Grades 9-12 was just over 1200. Dr John D French was Principal. We just celebrated our 40th this past June.

My sister graduated in 1981. Her class had far fewer students.

Student population figures now are in 900's.

Nevertheless you are correct in that NS does not have the reputation it had (or thought it had) 15-20 years ago). We agree. I posted some NMS numbers in an above post and North Shore had none. We further agree. There are two north shore districts with changed reputations with the last 15 years: Oyster Bay School District has completely and sadly nosedived while North Shore has certainly slipped.

(and FYI Syosset was so crowded in 1973 (1000 or thereabouts graduating) it ran on double sessions...Oyster Bay had to do the same...LV was in the very high 200's in 1977)

[LEFT]
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...#ixzz2ukXtMgWI
[/LEFT]

Old 03-03-2014, 11:39 PM

65 posts, read 149,786 times
Default so happy I found this thread

Hi Spinbikegirl23,
I was so happy to find your thread - because what you were seeking for your children is exactly what my husband and I are looking for our children. We are specifically looking at North Shore & LV school districts. We found a nice property in LV SD but had the same exact questions as you did: we are Jewish and were wondering about demographics. In terms of academic stats, these both schools are very close to each other in rankings, but I'm wondering how they are in terms of environment?

Did you go on open tours? Did you choose the school district yet?

Thank you SOOOO much in advance.

Quote:
Hi!

I will let you know...it's a bit of a process but so far I have been very very pleased about what I have learned about LV and North Shore. I know it's highly unusual to want to exit a district like Jericho, but to me the stress and tension is simply not worth it. I am very impressed with the elementary level in the particular school my youngest is in, but I don't like what I see as the kids move into middle school and beyond. I think there are a lot of problems with being "#1" and of course this is a very personal decision and I understand why many people would want to move into the Jericho district. However, for our family it's simply not the right fit...I will keep you posted!

Old 03-04-2014, 04:09 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,952 times
Two comments:
1. North Shore is a better district than Locust Valley. The LV superintendent has done a better job at PR than at education. Enrollment is declining, but they have been unable to stem expenses, hence a district where it costs somewhere north of $35K a year to educate each and every child. However, if someone wants a less-pressured environment, LV is probably fine. In short, it's an OK district.
2. Anyone who thinks that New Hyde Park or Mineola rank up there with the likes of Jericho, Syosset, Manhasset, Herricks, CSH and other top-rated districts is delusional. NHP and Mineola also aren't even close to North Shore or even LV. The OP needs to be aware that all opinions on here are just that, so you will find residents of mediocre districts touting their academic excellence and sugarcoating reality. The truth comes out when you look at things like test scores. In one of the two districts, as I recall, hardly more than half of eighth graders could pass their English tests.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:09 PM

15 posts, read 25,219 times
Hi wcutiew,

I toured the school and was very impressed. Everyone is very welcoming and open. It was a great experience. I still haven't made a final decision yet, I need to make an appointment to speak with the principal to ask some specific questions, but I got a fantastic tour at the school. Feel free to message me privately! I happen to really like the area as well, very quaint and cozy. It's not for everyone--in other words, if you want very quick access to the LIE or Northern, you don't have it, but I actually prefer to be tucked away a little. Such a pretty town. I also asked very directly what it might be like for a child who is Jewish, and was pleased with the response I got. There is definitely a mix of families there--Jewish included The school has a very cozy feel to it...seems that everyone knows everyone (in a good way).

Old 03-04-2014, 04:40 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,091 times
Quote:
Hi wcutiew,

I toured the school and was very impressed. Everyone is very welcoming and open. It was a great experience. I still haven't made a final decision yet, I need to make an appointment to speak with the principal to ask some specific questions, but I got a fantastic tour at the school. Feel free to message me privately! I happen to really like the area as well, very quaint and cozy. It's not for everyone--in other words, if you want very quick access to the LIE or Northern, you don't have it, but I actually prefer to be tucked away a little. Such a pretty town. I also asked very directly what it might be like for a child who is Jewish, and was pleased with the response I got. There is definitely a mix of families there--Jewish included The school has a very cozy feel to it...seems that everyone knows everyone (in a good way).
Sorry- did you tour NS or LV?

Old 03-04-2014, 04:51 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,989,806 times
I wouldn't talk to admin.

I'd talk to other parents. Just my .02.

Go to PTA meetings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island