Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 02:17 PM

31 posts, read 153,303 times

Advertisements

they mostly rob and kill gang people killing each other but you can be at the train station and mind you own busness and you can be fine. people going on the train or shopping dont get hurt thare. they have kmart and home depot near the train station and I go thare and its fine so a hotel would be the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 07:33 AM

163 posts, read 246,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMS99 View Post
I worry that the revitalization plan for Huntington Station could be similar to the bait-and-switch revitalization that has been going on in Glen Cove by the same man hired by the town of Huntington (Don Monti, Renaissance Downtowns):

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/03/re...anted=all&_r=0

He initially proposed to Glen Cove a "New Englandy Mystic Seaport" style redevelopment that seems to be becoming something more urban and high density than what he offered in order to secure the project. In fact, the large real estate investor he is working with in Glen Cove has also agreed to work with him on Huntington Station. They (RXR Realty) own billions of dollars of some very large office and retail properties:

RXR Realty - Real Estate Portfolio

According to this site, the hotel that Don Monti has proposed in Glen Cove has an alternate use as rentals or condos if the hotel doesn't work out:

Glen Cove Redevelopment

These two links give us all an idea what they really have in mind:

The full Monti: Long Island's Don Monti preaches smart growth - Long Island Business News | HighBeam Research
http://www.northshoreoflongisland.co...y=89329.112114
Here's a more complete version of the story above:

The Brass File: The Full Monti

It's fairly entertaining since it alleges Don Monti actually threatened to kill the Mayor of Glen Cove when he wasn't getting his way and that many other developers in the industry don't take the guy too seriously.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:00 AM

163 posts, read 246,066 times
This is also an interesting blog highlighting the current real estate development over Long Island. It seems like the builders are drooling over all these big transit-oriented apartment complexes being approved throughout the Island. It sounds like they want to do to Long Island what they did to the Jersey City and Long Island City waterfront areas - build'em big and build'em fast. I would hate to be a teacher with the massive influx of all these kids hitting the area in the next five years. I am also expecting my train commute to get much, much more crowded and finding myself parking a half mile away in a residential neighborhood in order to find parking. I can only imagine the kind of PILOTs and tax abatements these developers will get in back room deals with our illustrious elected officials.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1649693&page=1

Old 02-28-2014, 03:26 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,208 times
The PILOTs are what the school district is worried about. How many kids will be brought in for any apartments or housing that is built - with little tax revenue to support them in the schools.

Most of the Station area is as safe as any other. I drive through there all the time, shop at the Big H and other places all the time with no problem. For many years I was at the Jack Abrams school at night, no problem. Yes, there is crime in the station, but violent crime is not as bad as many of you think, and in fact, it has calmed down a lot the last couple of years.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:44 AM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
I'd love to stay in beautiful, downtown HS, in a former commuter parking lot. It's worth, what? About $250/night? Afterall, that's what my MIL pays for a lovely suite at the Hamton Inn by the Expressway.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Am I the only one who finds it odd someone would build a hotel in the LIRR parking lot in Huntington Station? The heart of Huntington Station? Who will be booking rooms there?
Well, you do have relatively frequent LIRR service to get to Manhattan, and you're pretty close to Downtown Huntington. I could picture some tourists or out-of-towners wanting to stay there, if they want a change of scenery from NYC (especially if they don't know about the area's reputation).

I mean, you have to consider that there's hotels in Newark, NJ too (though they're mostly in the safer part near Newark Penn). Somebody who isn't familiar with the reputation of an area would see good value. (In terms of safety, I don't think Huntington Station near the LIRR is worse than Newark near Newark Penn, and I wouldn't consider either to be extremely unsafe).

For that matter, there's a hotel that apparently gets away with charging $150 a night to stay in East NY, Brooklyn, so anything's possible.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
I think it's a rather good location, especially for those who need good access to the city but need/want to be on Long Island. Too bad Huntington Village isn't closer.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:13 AM

570 posts, read 1,215,208 times
Does anyone know the status of the hotel that was going to be built in an existing building right on Main St/Stewart Ave. in the village? Or has Petrone put the kibosh on that one because he wants the hotel in the station instead? Really, people would rather stay in the village if they had a choice.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:22 PM

5,056 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Well, you do have relatively frequent LIRR service to get to Manhattan, and you're pretty close to Downtown Huntington. I could picture some tourists or out-of-towners wanting to stay there, if they want a change of scenery from NYC (especially if they don't know about the area's reputation).

I mean, you have to consider that there's hotels in Newark, NJ too (though they're mostly in the safer part near Newark Penn). Somebody who isn't familiar with the reputation of an area would see good value. (In terms of safety, I don't think Huntington Station near the LIRR is worse than Newark near Newark Penn, and I wouldn't consider either to be extremely unsafe).

For that matter, there's a hotel that apparently gets away with charging $150 a night to stay in East NY, Brooklyn, so anything's possible.
Huntington Station's newest hotel, to be purportedly build in a train station parking lot, would certainly be convenient to the train station! I wonder if it'll be close enough to hear the trains? I agree about the frequent LIRR service to NYC. Hour-long trip to Penn on the express.

Interesting Newark comparison. Prudential Center (NHL's Devils)/Newark Penn and Newark International Airport might have something to do with the existence of hotels notwithstanding the area's reputation.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:49 PM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Huntington Station's newest hotel, to be purportedly build in a train station parking lot, would certainly be convenient to the train station! I wonder if it'll be close enough to hear the trains? I agree about the frequent LIRR service to NYC. Hour-long trip to Penn on the express.

Interesting Newark comparison. Prudential Center (NHL's Devils)/Newark Penn and Newark International Airport might have something to do with the existence of hotels notwithstanding the area's reputation.
Huntington's mostly electric trains with a few diesels. Occasional toot of the horn and bell, but I don't think it's all that loud. Of course, there's not a lot of room in the parking lot, so if the hotel sprawls even just slightly, it'll be on top of the tracks, magnifying the sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island