Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:35 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Thats the beauty of leylands, no need to tie them up. Arborvitae is not native to LI and many times they don't do very well for a long time. Leylands properly pruned make a lovely hedge you can enjoy year round.
Leylands are fine if you have the space. A 2' narrow area won't accommodate a Leyland being that they grow to 8-12' in diameter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 11:50 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Agree. I have known people who planted leyland and then were upset at the need to costantly trim them back

Arborvitae can have bad years but will bounce back

Old 04-08-2014, 11:50 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Snapped a few photos for you, just click on the thumbnail.

These are Spring Groves - planted 15 footers (similar in size and appearance to Leyland Cyprus):

It can't be seen in the image, but the neighbor next to us used Leylands for their perimeter and they're wide like the Spring Groves.

These are the Emerald Green Arborvitaes. You can see where I did a shoddy job tying them...there are obvious indents, but at least my branchs didn't bend or break. (I knew snow was on the way and had a 2 week old infant in the house, so my work was fast and furious. LOL )

Emerald Greens behind the grill and Spring Groves along the fence line:

Obviously we were grilling this weekend and I didn't put the cover back on yet.

I'm hoping to get some time this Spring to trim/prune the Emerald Greens so that they're all the same height. (Unfortunately, I don't trust landscaping crews to do that kind of work.)

Old 04-08-2014, 01:00 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I'm looking to put up privacy trees or bushes along the side of my house but the space is narrow and the trees can't be enormous. The area is along my driveway. I have a 4 foot PVC fence separating my yard from my neighbors but I don't want to see them every time I go outside so I want to block them off. There is a narrow (about 2 feet) garden area between my side of the PVC fence and my driveway. I would like to fill that area with trees or bushes.

I've been looking at Emerald Green Arborvitaes in that area. I've been reading that you should space them no closer than 2 feet apart.I want quick growing plants that don't require a lot of maintenance.

I would like people's opinions on these plants and suggestions if I should consider another type of plant. Also where could I get the best deals on these plants if I wanted to buy 6 or more? I'm in western Nassau but I'm will to drive out east for better deals.

Thanks all.
Fist of all this is called a "living fence" A "living fence: follows the same zoning rules as a real fence.

Why do you only have a four foot fence separating you and your neighbors by driveway? You are only allowed a six foot fence in your true backyard normally. Side yards or by driveways max is four feet.

Also if you are attempting to block the view of backing out of your driveway or your neighbors backing out of driveway with a row of illegal bushes you are opening yourself up to lawsuits.

If you have a legal four foot fence by your driveway that is usuallly the max allowed by law. You choices are to plant a row of bushess no higher than the fence height or if you want tall bushes you are only allowed every other bushes planted living holes/gaps to see through not a solid fence. Otherwise someone could back right over a kid on a bike or something.

My old neighbor did what you are describing. I asked him to sign a legal document stating he has unlimted liability in the event a car in my driveway backs over someone he refused. Called town to question the "living fence" rule and yes they confirmed it was illegal.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:50 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
These are the Emerald Green Arborvitaes. You can see where I did a shoddy job tying them...there are obvious indents, but at least my branchs didn't bend or break. (I knew snow was on the way and had a 2 week old infant in the house, so my work was fast and furious. LOL )

Emerald Greens behind the grill and Spring Groves along the fence line:

Obviously we were grilling this weekend and I didn't put the cover back on yet.

I'm hoping to get some time this Spring to trim/prune the Emerald Greens so that they're all the same height. (Unfortunately, I don't trust landscaping crews to do that kind of work.)
Thanks for the pics. Man you got a huge back yard compared to mine. And that is a sweet looking patio.
I like the look of the Emerald Green Aborvitaes and I'm going to make some calls and get prices.

I called up a few nurseries and one person said I should go with Pencil Japanese Holly's. I took a look at them online but they look a bit too narrow and I'm going to need a whole bunch of them. They were not cheap either, some had them for around $80 for a 5 footer.

How much should be expecting to pay for the Emerald Green's? I want to get an idea so I don't over pay.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:56 PM

267 posts, read 598,722 times
Leyland's grow quickly. But tend to come out of the ground due to the shallow roots balls. Especially after they get nice and big the way you would want them to be. They get weighted down with snow and ice to the point that they will topple . I personally have all three in my yard, I went with green giant arborvitaes that I purchased from Stables out in Moriches. I had 14 planted, it was about 175 per tree. They came with a power auger and 3 men and were done in 4 hours. They guarantee them for 2 years I recall, when they plant them. They do not have to be tied off due to the fact ,I picked trees with only one leader running up the tree, Stay away from trees with two main stalks, as these will split when weighed down with snow. Someone asked about tying them off. The main inner stalks should be tied together if there is more than one. You can get a twine like string at home depot. Cut it off when spring arrives.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:52 PM

76 posts, read 137,419 times
i have a screen of both on different sides of my house and the leylands are thicker and denser than the arbor vitaes. if you prune the leylands at the top each year they will not get too big. realistically it takes 2-3 yrs if you space them a few feet apart to become a true screen. make sure in yr 1 after you plant them that you water them A LOT. They love the water as they settle in. leylands are a little more expensive but worth it, IMO.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:54 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Balsam Fir makes a good windbreak, but not sure how well they do in the plant hardiness zone there.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:30 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Snapped a few photos for you, just click on the thumbnail.
nice huge yard! Ours is taken mostly by an L-shaped deck. Good for when the kids aren't kids anymore but for now...

Old 04-08-2014, 11:52 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Whatever kind of tree you get, watering is essential a couple times a week the first season they're planted, especially during the hot, dry summertime. Sprinklers are absolutely useless in that regard. The trees need a couple of full buckets at the roots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island