Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 04:42 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times

Advertisements

Notice how the adults act like adults and not nitwits.

YouTube - SONNY FOX, A Wonderama Guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Since Halloween is fast approaching...
Anyone remember staying up late for this great opening?

YouTube - Chiller Theater Intro- WPIX-TV NewYork
Heck yeah! I used to love watching chiller....oops showed my age...

Old 10-06-2010, 07:55 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Wow. Thank you. I remember all of those.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-06-2010, 08:01 PM

I remember my parents going out for the night and being home alone watching Chiller. That hand was the creepiest thing going.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:31 PM

..... and who could forget Zacharlee?
All of those old Frankenstein and Dracula movies from the thirties. Much scarier than Friday the Thirteenth et. al. .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-07-2010, 07:57 AM

305 posts, read 1,004,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
To Those of Us Born Between 1930 and 1979

Nostalgia is the Freedom of 'Old America'

To all the kids who survived the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's. ...

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank Kool-aid made with real white sugar. And, we weren't overweight. Why?

Because we were always outside, playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times,we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms. We had friends and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers problem solvers and inventors problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. If you are one of them: Congratulations!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?

My daughter is always shock when I tell her these stories of the fun times we had at her age, she is such a good kid and I am proud of her, she dosnt follow the crowd and she just knows how to say no to peer pessure, the only thing she ask is that we put her in private school, her school is very small and is christian base and she loves it.

getting back to the topic, she wants to have this kind of fun so much, that we play with her more than her friends do, and its mostly family stuff, board games, home movies, trips upstate

where did all the good times go - thanks for the smile and laugh

Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 AM

305 posts, read 1,004,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Heck yeah! I used to love watching chiller....oops showed my age...

chiller........ I hated that it always made me scared, (I was a cry baby lol)

Old 10-07-2010, 02:23 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Thanks for all of the video. I was also too scared to watch Chiller Theater but this was the first time that I have ever seen the opening in color! Really cool to see a Kennedy on a children's show talking about the space program.

Can anyone share anything about Romper Room? I had one of those big inflatable punching balls.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:28 PM

Robert Kennedy. He looked so young. It's funny that I never realized how very young he was.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Can anyone share anything about Romper Room? I had one of those big inflatable punching balls.
I had one of those also. Thank goodness we realized that they promoted violent tendencies and were done away with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island