Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:30 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Are your school taxes part of the $1600 property tax?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 07:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Yes.
How large is your school district? Is it part of a city district, and funding is similar to the way it is done in NYC schools?

Do you mind if I dm you to ask more? I don't mean to hijack the thread.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:02 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Bought a small starter home in the outskirts of Pittsburgh for just over 100K. Property taxes run me $1600 a year. The school district is in the top 50 in the state and this municipality has one of the lowest crime rates in the state of Pennsylvania. Everyone talks about North Carolina, but I found North Carolina to be too pricey and culturally very different.
That's good better than L.I. that's for sure but if you lived by me your taxes (everything including school) would be 950 a year. We work off a very simple formula here in chesterfield .95 per 1,000 assessment. Simple.

Also you said you district was in the top 50 that isn't that good considering there are only 52 districts. .... j/k

Isn't it funny....no matter where someone lives..it always seems like they always live in a 'top district' but the truth is only a few can back it up with real numbers...nuff said

Old 05-17-2014, 09:11 AM

703 posts, read 1,173,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post

If one cannot afford to get extra help on LI, but can do that by moving out, then I would say his child is already doing better.

What is affordable is a very subjective thing, hence the tons of threads on housing and schools on CD and everywhere else.
I don't know why you assume parents in top districts are paying for academic help instead of providing it themselves. Most of the parents have advanced degrees.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:36 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
I don't know why you assume parents in top districts are paying for academic help instead of providing it themselves. Most of the parents have advanced degrees.
I doubt most parents (even with advanced degrees) can give professional tutors a run for their money. It ok to have studied, but they may not be the best teachers.

I think being involved and providing a little help here and there is allright. I hear SAT tutoring cost like $200 - $300 per hr or more...

Old 05-18-2014, 08:53 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,768,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
And I'm asking for evidence of that, because my experience with immigration policy does not reflect that statement in even the tiniest of degrees.
It's called prosecutorial discresion and it is official DHS policy. Right now only priority 1 offenders (those convicted of serious crimes) are being targeted. And it does matter if you have a USC child, if you have no criminal convictions, your chances of getting ordered removed are virtually nil. The immigration judge takes family factors such as children into account which is a big plus in the aliens favor. Anyone who has no criminal convictions right now pretty much has defacto amnesty.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
My friends who have money pay for the high end tutors, especially where SAT is concerned.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:06 PM

483 posts, read 670,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I can't answer why your experience with the schools was bad, I have no idea where you were living. Maybe it was bad I know of places I wouldn't want to live or have had my kids in school but that said I automatically wouldn't want them in NY either.

Based on numerous post on this board communities that are viewed as "below upper middle class" on LI as Zulu400 (Post #57) pointed out seem to have "schools that suck" also. Disparities between "haves and have not's" are argued on a block by block basis on this board something you don't read about elsewhere.

My original answer was to your question how other areas pay for schools, they do quite well and the citizens are not bled dry in the process....
It still is not making sense, and I took quite a bit of math. 1500 dollars is very little money considering you pay for everything out of it. I pay 6 grand and feel I am grossly underpaying for what I get. Also, I live in a working class/middle class blended community and my child gets a wonderful education.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:53 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
It still is not making sense, and I took quite a bit of math. 1500 dollars is very little money considering you pay for everything out of it. I pay 6 grand and feel I am grossly underpaying for what I get. Also, I live in a working class/middle class blended community and my child gets a wonderful education.
I'm curious, where do you live on LI ?
If its Farmingdale or Levittown then the average property taxes is around $8800 per year, so you are right about underpaying your share. If your town does average 6K taxes on LI, then there is no way you are in a top 1000 district in the country.
I know that you are getting a wonderful education but other schools are providing better education in the country than your schools (my guess). In many of those schools you will be paying less than 6 grand taxes I'm sure.

If you want to compare only to the worst schools in the south or elsewhere, then I agree, the dumps on LI are better than the dumps in the South.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:31 PM

483 posts, read 670,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I'm curious, where do you live on LI ?
If its Farmingdale or Levittown then the average property taxes is around $8800 per year, so you are right about underpaying your share. If your town does average 6K taxes on LI, then there is no way you are in a top 1000 district in the country.
I know that you are getting a wonderful education but other schools are providing better education in the country than your schools (my guess). In many of those schools you will be paying less than 6 grand taxes I'm sure.

If you want to compare only to the worst schools in the south or elsewhere, then I agree, the dumps on LI are better than the dumps in the South.
Your comment is very elucidating, yes, I live in Farmingdale, and yes my taxes are lower than average, but even if they were average or above average they wouldn't come close to adequate for what I get. If I were to pay privately for all I get from big guv'ment it would be much higher, and I'm sure everyone here would agree. You are not answering my question, how is 1,500 enough for what you get???

As I said, I'm sure many schools around the country are providing a good education, but I live in a working class area of Farmingdale. Do other schools in working class areas provide 1. The same quality of education. 2. The same amount of police presence. and 3. The same all around decent education for all my neighbors (from CI to Jericho) Having the "best" in the gated communities and high PhD areas out there sure, but I like all my neighbors fairly educated.

Another thing that other places are different than LI is that our trades people and skilled laborers make pretty good money. Enough to even live in great areas. So LI can be seen as a great place to live even if my children decide to be laborers.

Here is also another aspect to cost: Gasoline and heating prices are expected to rise. What do you think will happen to a car based community or an exburb when gas and heating costs rise? How is that 3,000 square foot home going to get heated? What will happen to all those new communities when they, too, mature and aquire legacy costs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island