Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 01:13 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
Your comment is very elucidating, yes, I live in Farmingdale, and yes my taxes are lower than average, but even if they were average or above average they wouldn't come close to adequate for what I get. If I were to pay privately for all I get from big guv'ment it would be much higher, and I'm sure everyone here would agree. You are not answering my question, how is 1,500 enough for what you get???

As I said, I'm sure many schools around the country are providing a good education, but I live in a working class area of Farmingdale. Do other schools in working class areas provide 1. The same quality of education. 2. The same amount of police presence. and 3. The same all around decent education for all my neighbors (from CI to Jericho) Having the "best" in the gated communities and high PhD areas out there sure, but I like all my neighbors fairly educated.

Another thing that other places are different than LI is that our trades people and skilled laborers make pretty good money. Enough to even live in great areas. So LI can be seen as a great place to live even if my children decide to be laborers.

Here is also another aspect to cost: Gasoline and heating prices are expected to rise. What do you think will happen to a car based community or an exburb when gas and heating costs rise? How is that 3,000 square foot home going to get heated? What will happen to all those new communities when they, too, mature and aquire legacy costs?

For the 1,000,000,000 time... people in the Northeast, typically the tri-state area make a lot more than other areas of the U.S. From civil servants,skilled labors,medical and all the way down to the landscaper and the service workers all make more. 100K teacher on L.I. is equivalent to a 60K teacher here by me, when you factor in cost of living,etc..

The thing is, the people just want to cut salaries but to be fair...you have to cut everything 35-40% then you will be more in line with other places. It's all retaliative....it would be great to have the salaries of NY but the COL of the south but unfortunately it doesn't work that way..

* In all fairness..The one thing that is really out of whack..is the retirement package of the civil servants of L.I. that is where the major discrepancy lies..that I can't justify
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 01:18 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
For the 1,000,000,000 time... people in the Northeast, typically the tri-state area make a lot more than other areas of the U.S. From civil servants,skilled labors,medical and all the way down to the landscaper and the service workers all make more. 100K teacher on L.I. is equivalent to a 60K teacher here by me, when you factor in cost of living,etc..

The thing is, the people just want to cut salaries but to be fair...you have to cut everything 35-40% then you will be more in line with other places. It's all retaliative....it would be great to have the salaries of NY but the COL of the south but unfortunately it doesn't work that way..

* In all fairness..The one thing that is really out of whack..is the retirement package of the civil servants of L.I. that is where the major discrepancy lies..that I can't justify
Interesting you should say that. I thought the ex-pat war cry was that people make as much or more in other areas of the U.S. so people in the tri-state area are actually stupid for staying here.

Are there actually any $60K teachers by you?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:25 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
Your comment is very elucidating, yes, I live in Farmingdale, and yes my taxes are lower than average, but even if they were average or above average they wouldn't come close to adequate for what I get. If I were to pay privately for all I get from big guv'ment it would be much higher, and I'm sure everyone here would agree. You are not answering my question, how is 1,500 enough for what you get???

As I said, I'm sure many schools around the country are providing a good education, but I live in a working class area of Farmingdale. Do other schools in working class areas provide 1. The same quality of education. 2. The same amount of police presence. and 3. The same all around decent education for all my neighbors (from CI to Jericho) Having the "best" in the gated communities and high PhD areas out there sure, but I like all my neighbors fairly educated.

Another thing that other places are different than LI is that our trades people and skilled laborers make pretty good money. Enough to even live in great areas. So LI can be seen as a great place to live even if my children decide to be laborers.

Here is also another aspect to cost: Gasoline and heating prices are expected to rise. What do you think will happen to a car based community or an exburb when gas and heating costs rise? How is that 3,000 square foot home going to get heated? What will happen to all those new communities when they, too, mature and aquire legacy costs?
This is pretty funny... People in other areas of the country are getting everything on your list for even less than $1,500. It is plenty.

You first need to educate yourself on why you're paying so much (for taxes, for gas, etc) before you can comprehend the answers to your questions.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:25 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Depending on seniority and degrees from 40k to 90k the average would be somewhere in the middle.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:21 PM

883 posts, read 3,720,534 times
Quote:
Interesting you should say that. I thought the ex-pat war cry was that people make as much or more in other areas of the U.S. so people in the tri-state area are actually stupid for staying here.

People on LI make far more money than in the other areas typically mentioned as alternatives. Just look at the City Data stats. While there might be jobs where the salaries *are* comparable, for the most part there is no comparison.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
People on LI make far more money than in the other areas typically mentioned as alternatives. Just look at the City Data stats. While there might be jobs where the salaries *are* comparable, for the most part there is no comparison.
Not according to the ex-pats on this board when it comes to the "recommended" alternative areas for LI like NC and VA. They tell stories about how they (ClarkStreetKid, Prudhazy, MikeyKid, etc.) or their wives (BigMike50, etc.) make more money than they ever did on LI and make more money than is currently average for LI. They're always trying to bang it into our heads that their pet areas have better pay than "old and done" LI does! So do you really think you're correct in the bolded statement and I should assume they are just liars?

Old 05-22-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Not according to the ex-pats on this board when it comes to the "recommended" alternative areas for LI like NC and VA. They tell stories about how they (ClarkStreetKid, Prudhazy, MikeyKid, etc.) or their wives (BigMike50, etc.) make more money than they ever did on LI and make more money than is currently average for LI. They're always trying to bang it into our heads that their pet areas have better pay than "old and done" LI does! So do you really think you're correct in the bolded statement and I should assume they are just liars?
While there are exceptions of course, the census data speaks for itself.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
While there are exceptions of course, the census data speaks for itself.
Ah, so they and their wives are the special, shining, multi-talented and intellectually gifted EXCEPTIONS and everybody else where they live gets paid like crap. That is not how they represent it, but yes, you're right, the census data speaks for itself!

Old 05-22-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Ah, so they and their wives are the special, shining, multi-talented and intellectually gifted EXCEPTIONS and everybody else where they live gets paid like crap. That is not how they represent it, but yes, you're right, the census data speaks for itself!
Yes, that is the only logical explanation lol

Old 05-22-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
To further put it into perspective, look at the median household income of a place that people relocate & compare it to a place like, say, Wyandanch. Eye opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island