Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 10:52 AM

7 posts, read 80,905 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are first time home buyers and have been looking in Commack for a home. We have seen several but most seem to have something we would have to sacrifice whether it's yard space or the size of the interior. Well we finally found a home in a comfortable price range that has exactly what we're looking for. But it couldn't be that easy. Those HUGE power line towers are basically right behind the backyard. Not sure exactly the distance but they're there. Also the satellite view shows a power plant? or something (I am not exactly sure what) not too far away. It's off of new highway in Commack.

I understand it is a good time to buy so why not try to find something else... but we have been looking for quite a long time and have yet to find a place (in our price range) that has everything we are looking for in a home. So we where really excited with this one. Other than the eyesore of the lines - what do you think about living so close? Does anyone have any information about the lines? They seem to run through the town and there appears to be schools - the Suffolk Y and tons of homes in close proximity.

I've done a little research and there's so much varying information some resources say it's nothing different than the exposure you'd get in your home with the power lines or using your cell phone while others say there's a correlation to childhood leukemia... any advice would be great!

Thanks and sorry for the long post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 11:06 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
I think the Chicken Littleness about power lines is passé now. Its very 1990s.

Buy the house..just don't drink the water.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:36 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Don't worry about the power lines, if that was all I'd have to worry about in my neighborhood I'd be happy as a clam. Plus with the substation nearby that means power will be more reliable, and you will be the first to be restored if it goes out.
That's a major 138/69kv substation so it would be a priority.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the input! Just making sure since we do have a little one on the way

Old 07-18-2014, 03:43 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,271 times
I wouldn't buy it. Regardless of whether they are dangerous or not, it still will make reselling difficult because of concerns like the one you just posted. We walked away from 2 houses when we were shopping around for this very reason.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:40 PM

883 posts, read 3,720,188 times
I would not buy it. Too many unknowns- research is inconclusive. Plus horrendous for resale.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:17 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
I would not buy it. Too many unknowns- research is inconclusive. Plus horrendous for resale.
I'd rather have a home in a nice area with good schools and transmission lines than bad schools and no transmission lines. It's all relative, but if I were buying and it was my only choice to get into a nice area like Commack it wouldn't bother me one bit. It all depends if the buyer plans on staying in their home for a long time and starting a family.
Commack is safe, close to everything, has good schools, I would buy...just as long as you plan on staying awhile.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:45 PM

883 posts, read 3,720,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I'd rather have a home in a nice area with good schools and transmission lines than bad schools and no transmission lines. It's all relative, but if I were buying and it was my only choice to get into a nice area like Commack it wouldn't bother me one bit. It all depends if the buyer plans on staying in their home for a long time and starting a family.
Commack is safe, close to everything, has good schools, I would buy...just as long as you plan on staying awhile.
Straight from the non-alarmist EPA...
Electric And Magnetic Field (EMF) Radiation from Power Lines | RadTown USA | US EPA

It's a personal decision- but you buy knowing that the risk is an unknown and many buyers wouldn't even consider a house with high T's in the backyard due to health and/or aesthetic reasons. Even if the house is priced low, it will likely take a long time to sell.

Personally, I think it's better to buy a lesser house in a better location. I don't know the OP's budget, but it really shouldn't be too hard to find something decent in Commack. A house can always be updated- location can never be changed.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:18 AM

My husband and I where talking about it this evening. We are going to start looking a bit more into homes that may need some renovation. We where looking at turn key or almost turn key. Now we're thinking our best choice would be to go into a hope we can make our own. Neither of us are very handy is our only fear but my brother is very much so and has offered to help if we find something. It just really depends on how much renovation would be needed.

When renovating the interior - new kitchen and bathroom how much would you expect to spend? And how do most people go about it - take out a home improvement loan? We don't have the cash upfront to renovate but obviously our mortgage would be much lower.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:00 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I wouldn't buy it - the concerns you have will be the same ones any other buyer has when you eventually sell. Plus, is that what you want to look at all the time.

True story - friends were moving down here - retirees, no kids. They pulled up to a house with their realtor and got out of the car and the guy noticed the power lines behind the house. Told the realtor he didn't want to go into the house as he wasn't interested. As they started walking back to the car the lady of the house came out screaming "the lines aren't a problem, I swear!" I guess that pretty much sums up what it's like trying to sell a house with the lines behind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: