Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:05 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Europe has figured out how to fund this. We certainly can.

Maternity Leave needs to be paid. I'll give u an example: i make more than my husband. I am the principal earner. We need both of our incomes in order to live here. We simply cant afford for me to be out of work for 3 mos without pay. We might as well just not have kids at all. We want kids but the reality is that w/o paid maternity leave we just cant afford it. My husband makes terrible $$.
Outside of the maternity leave debate, I hope you have disability insurance if you can't afford to be 3 months without working. You also need to develop an emergency fund.

Or have your "terrible" paid hubby be the caregiver for the 3 months. If he is that poorly paid, it might be the better financial decision for him to be a stay at home dad rather than pay the daycare bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 07:32 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Jdawg8181:
Quote:
Maternity Leave needs to be paid. I'll give u an example: i make more than my husband. I am the principal earner. We need both of our incomes in order to live here. We simply cant afford for me to be out of work for 3 mos without pay. We might as well just not have kids at all. We want kids but the reality is that w/o paid maternity leave we just cant afford it. My husband makes terrible $$.
We were in the exact same boat as you. Neither could we afford to have kids as both my wife and I had to work in order to keep a roof over our head. Especially in the New York metro area. But you know what? We didn't have any. There's no reason in the world to expect others to have to pay for your choice to have children. Neither should your employer. This might be a reason that many employers are hesitant to hire married women of child bearing age. It's also not fair to expect your co-workers to take up the slack while you are out on maternity leave depending on how many children you decide to have. For some businesses this could cripple them. So what's the answer? More taxes on already over burdened taxpayers making them struggle even harder to survive? You can thank our government and it's insatiable appetite for money for that. We are not Europe, thank God for that! There's plenty of things that I would like to have in life, but I certainly do not want, nor would I expect other people to pay for it. You just have to live within your means and make the best of what you have. Life is full of tough choices. Just be thankful that you and your husband have a job and can support yourselves. At least you are not on welfare, I commend you for that.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:38 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Europe has figured out how to fund this. We certainly can.

If you're suggesting that your employer should be responsible for your lifestyle choices, you're not being realistic. If you're suggesting that I, as a taxpayer, pay for your lifestyle choices I might consider that provided you pay for me to travel three months out of every year.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:41 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If you're suggesting that your employer should be responsible for your lifestyle choices, you're not being realistic. If you're suggesting that I, as a taxpayer, pay for your lifestyle choices I might consider that provided you pay for me to travel three months out of every year.
But why is it realistic for everywhere else in the world but not us?

Old 07-27-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Outside of the maternity leave debate, I hope you have disability insurance if you can't afford to be 3 months without working. You also need to develop an emergency fund.

Or have your "terrible" paid hubby be the caregiver for the 3 months. If he is that poorly paid, it might be the better financial decision for him to be a stay at home dad rather than pay the daycare bill.
His co wont give him 3-months off to care for a kid. Companies are not mandated to give paternity leave (I think) but even if they are, it's less I think than what a woman gets.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
But why is it realistic for everywhere else in the world but not us?
It's not! Why should an employer be obligated to pay someone who is adding absolutely no value to the company?

Perhaps you and your husband should each get a second job for a couple of years to accumulate that which you would be missing while you took maternity leave. Perhaps there are other things you can do to save money now spent for nonessentials. Perhaps you should be living somewhere now that costs less than what you're paying for housing.

Why is your choice to have a child the financial responsibility of anyone other than yourself?

Old 07-27-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It's not! Why should an employer be obligated to pay someone who is adding absolutely no value to the company?

Perhaps you and your husband should each get a second job for a couple of years to accumulate that which you would be missing while you took maternity leave. Perhaps there are other things you can do to save money now spent for nonessentials. Perhaps you should be living somewhere now that costs less than what you're paying for housing.

Why is your choice to have a child the financial responsibility of anyone other than yourself?
Women shouldnt have to choose btwn a career and a child - bottom line.

My husband is not college-educated and not skilled in a lot of things, so there are not too many second jobs he could get that bring us where we need to be financially.

This is getting off topic but for these kids, IMO, America is not the greatest country to try & make it.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:04 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Jdawg8181:
Quote:
This is getting off topic but for these kids, IMO, America is not the greatest country to try & make it.
If you think you can make it elsewhere, then perhaps you'd be better off leaving. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:24 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
His co wont give him 3-months off to care for a kid. Companies are not mandated to give paternity leave (I think) but even if they are, it's less I think than what a woman gets.
Off topic but, Germany allows 14 months (!) of leave with pay. Crazy.

How parental leave rights differ around the world | Money | The Guardian

Old 07-27-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Women shouldnt have to choose btwn a career and a child - bottom line.

* Should a man have to choose between a career and a child?

My husband is not college-educated and not skilled in a lot of things, so there are not too many second jobs he could get that bring us where we need to be financially.

*McDonalds has part time jobs that pay American dollars. What kind of second job do you qualify for?

*I believe you are the one who took this thread to getting money for nothing.
Where does this sense of entitlement come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island