Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 10:55 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snforstuff View Post
i agree... plainview doesn't have that "charm" port washington has. i honestly don't know much about plainview either... just came across the area when looking in syosset. i figured it must be a decent town since it's surrounded by very nice neighboring towns. i was not aware that plainview had areas that were very hasidic... i'm glad you pointed that out.... not that it's an issue, but i would prefer more diversity.
Yes, some areas it is plainly visible as you will see Hasidics walking (they aren't allowed to drive during certain times) to and from their houses of worship. I can assure you if someone was not hasidic, you probably would not feel comfortable here.

I can't tell you what parts of Plainvew are hasidic, but I can tell many parts of Plainview are mostly Jewish, not really too mixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 02:53 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
Gladtobehere - You make Plainview sound like another Williamsburg or Monsey and you're way off base.

In all the years I've driven through Plainview whether it's to my dentist who is located on the corner of Old Country Road and Manetto Hill Road, or some place else, I've never seen any Hasidic people hoofing about.

Seen them in Huntington, Great Neck, New Hyde Park, Pt. Washington,, etc., etc.

Implying Plainview is overrun with extremely devout Jewish people is a gross exaggeration.

The Plainview/Woodbury area has its fair share of Jewish people, Christian denominations of all sorts, Latinos, Asian Americans, blacks, etc.

In other words, a complete mix.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:58 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Gladtobehere - You make Plainview sound like another Williamsburg or Monsey and you're way off base.

In all the years I've driven through Plainview whether it's to my dentist who is located on the corner of Old Country Road and Manetto Hill Road, or some place else, I've never seen any Hasidic people hoofing about.

Seen them in Huntington, Great Neck, New Hyde Park, Pt. Washington,, etc., etc.

Implying Plainview is overrun with extremely devout Jewish people is a gross exaggeration.

The Plainview/Woodbury area has its fair share of Jewish people, Christian denominations of all sorts, Latinos, Asian Americans, blacks, etc.

In other words, a complete mix.

I don't recall what part but I was there in the middle of it and it was exactly as I said it. I was not simply driving through. I was in actual neighborhoods on a weekend afternoon looking for homes for sale, since we were considering Plainview. And I have even lived in Williamsburg and have worked with many Hasidics so I am no stranger when in areas that are primarily Hasidic. Wish I could tell you exactly where I was but I don't know for sure. But it was certainly Plainview.

I didn't say Plainview was only full of devout Jewish people. I said it was less mixed religiously than PW, and simply moreso Jewish than PW. And only that some parts were Hasidic and you probably would not prefer to live in those areas if you too were not Hasidic. That is what I said. Never said ALL of Plainview.

Maybe in all the years you have driven through on Main roads, none of those main roads are near a house of worship that a Hasidic would attend. And therefore you would not have seen Hasidics walking to and from their houses of worship.

And please don't anyone go implying or hijacking this thread by making this out to be some kind of bias prejudice crap. It is simply a conversation about differences in areas that people chose to live in for one reason or another. And a Hasidic would chose to live somewhere that is walking distance to a religious house of worship they frequent. And that is what I saw and shared with the OP. 100% the truth of what I experienced.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 12-23-2007 at 03:31 PM..

Old 12-24-2007, 10:30 PM

11 posts, read 37,516 times
I agree about Port Washington the remorse I mean.
I think the schools are not as strong as Great Neck South or North.
The other idea is to send my kid to Stuy, or maybe the Herricks school district.
I do think its a nice area but overpriced. Hopefully the prices wont deflate too much in
the next 5 years. that could be really devastating.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:14 AM

85 posts, read 433,392 times
that's one of the biggest sacrifices of moving to long island... i really wanted my kids to go to either stuy or bronx science!

Old 12-25-2007, 10:07 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Plainview

For those who may not be familiar with Plainview:

Plainview is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the center-east part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the east part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/Huntington town line and the Nassau/Suffolk county line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Plainview in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Syosset and the Hamlet of Woodbury; on the east by the Hamlet of Melville in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County (the Oyster Bay/Huntington town line and the Nassau/Suffolk county line); on the south by the Hamlet of Old Bethpage and the Hamlet of Bethpage; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Hicksville.

The Hamlet of Plainview has a different border than does the "Plainview, NY 11803" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Plainview, NY 11803" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Plainview and a place can be in the Hamlet of Plainview and have other than a "Plainview, NY 11803" mailing address): places with a "Plainview, NY 11803" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Plainview are in the Hamlet of Woodbury; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Plainview that have a "Old Bethpage, NY 11804" mailing address.

Technically speaking, there is no "Plainview, NY" mailing address as the "Plainview, NY 11803" ZIP Code postal zone is not a post office but is a branch of the "Hicksville, NY 11801" post office. Thus, the correct mailing address is "Hicksville, NY 11803".

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 12-25-2007 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Eliminate the extraneous quote symbol

Old 12-26-2007, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,461 times
Port Washington is awesome. You made the right choice. It has the best vibe of almost any town on Long Island. It is expensive for housing, however. Good luck.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:48 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Port Washington

For those who may not be familiar with Port Washington:

Previously known as Cow Bay (the NYS legislature officially changed the name to Port Washington in 1857), Port Washington is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the northwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Port Washington in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Baxter Estates, the Village of Port Washington North and the Village of Sands Point; on the east by the Hempstead Harbor; on the south by the Village of Flower Hill; and, on the west by the Village of Plandome Manor and Manhasset Bay.

Port Washington is one of those villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the hamlet: places that have a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address but are not in the Hamlet of Port Washington are in the Village of Sands Point, the Village of Port Washington North, the Village of Manorhaven, the Village of Baxter Estates and the Village of Flower Hill.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island