Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 02:12 PM

483 posts, read 670,568 times

Advertisements

Biloxi Mississippi area has been built up, but it is humid and prone to hurricanes. Also, many places have lakes instead of oceans to swim in, such as Turner Falls in Oklahoma. Florida is disgustingly humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 02:38 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I live in NC and cant think of anyplace that is close to the coast and near a city. Charleston and Savannah are the real south....forewarned is forearmed.

If you're ok with real heat the southwest might be an option.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:10 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Make sure you have a job lined up or excess cash before you go.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:39 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Oh also,

The 20 hottest real estate spots in the world | New York Post

Old 08-05-2014, 04:16 PM

104 posts, read 199,081 times
Thanks again for the replies. Looking into Charleston, SC now. San Diego seems to be the perfect fit for me minus the COL, is there a cheaper alternative in Cali?

Also have a second question. 2.5 years ago I purchased my first house when I turned 26 in Northport Village, when homes seemed to be at their lowest. It seems in the past 2.5 years since I've owned prices and values have gone up, anyone have any personal experiences with the real estate market picking up in the past 2.5 years or so?

Old 08-05-2014, 04:32 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Just randomly tossing this out, what about the Hampton Roads area?

Old 08-05-2014, 04:45 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Just randomly tossing this out, what about the Hampton Roads area?
Humid.

Not really near a big city???

Old 08-05-2014, 04:54 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpalmieri View Post
Thanks again for the replies. Looking into Charleston, SC now. San Diego seems to be the perfect fit for me minus the COL, is there a cheaper alternative in Cali?

Also have a second question. 2.5 years ago I purchased my first house when I turned 26 in Northport Village, when homes seemed to be at their lowest. It seems in the past 2.5 years since I've owned prices and values have gone up, anyone have any personal experiences with the real estate market picking up in the past 2.5 years or so?
Nationally most metro areas have increased by at least 4% over the past two years. There are still some areas that I feel will never rebound (Cleveland, East St. Louis, Detroit) but nationally most areas are doing quite well. Here in Charleston (which consists of 3 counties Charleston, Dorchester, and Berkeley) we are up 6% from last year which was up 5% from the year before. Some areas are waaay outperforming this. Old Village Mt. Pleasant and South of Broad are two examples where prices have risen well over 20% this year.

I've lived in Houston, TX and Petaluma, CA which were both mentioned in your thread. San Diego is awesome weather, reasonable home prices (by California standards), and not much nature wise other than occasional earthquakes to deal with (most quakes are further north in CA)

Houston I lived in for 10 years. I will sum it up by saying it's a nice place to earn a living, and a dreadful place to raise a family. I lived in Kingwood and Humble, both suburbs on the north side of town, and although only 8 miles to downtown, the commute usually took an hour or two due to traffic. There's the constant hum of police helicopters and car alarms, traffic, congestion, and the life of a big city.

On the plus side, there's always something to do, you can go to a restaurant every day of the year and not hit them all, and the wages are typically high.

What coastal SC offers is WATER. Charleston is a bunch of bridges connected by rivers. I live a life of work and fishing and sunning. On weekdays I'l be found crabbing or fishing for reds or kayaking the swamps. On weekend we are usually either 60 miles offshore bottom fishing for Groupers, or in-shore fishing for Sheepshead. If fresh water is your thing we have Lakes Moultrie and Marion (which take up a good portion of the state) and all of our rivers are fresh water once you get away from the coast some. I love Striped Bass fishing on the Cooper River and on Lake Moultrie by the dam.

The median home price is $223,000 but on the rise. You can choose to live in the county and find a nice home on 5 acres for $150k or live in the city and pay $12 million for a historic mansion built in the 1700's.
Charleston has it all!

Two downsides IMO are the humidity (which you get used to) and the gnats and mosquitos (which you never get used to)

Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post

Two downsides IMO are the humidity (which you get used to) and the gnats and mosquitos (which you never get used to)
I've lived in humid climates my whole life. I've never gotten used to it. blech!

Old 08-05-2014, 06:11 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Humid.

Not really near a big city???
That's why I wasn't passing it as being definitive advice, just something to think about. Norfolk is a city, although smaller than New York, and somebody already said the East Coast pretty much has humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island