Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:49 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
If I'm making the biggest purchase of my life and intend to raise a family, the last person I want to hear an opinion from is a silly girl who has no clue what having kids means. I say this again for the OP who may not understand the posting history of people here.

Some people should just stick to Condo and LIRR discussions - leave the family discussions to others who actually know.
^^ Nailed it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 11:06 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,046 times
Quote:
If I'm making the biggest purchase of my life and intend to raise a family, the last person I want to hear an opinion from is a silly girl who has no clue what having kids means. I say this again for the OP who may not understand the posting history of people here.

Some people should just stick to Condo and LIRR discussions - leave the family discussions to others who actually know.
Theres no need to make this personal. I am sure OP is aware this is a public message board and opinions are going to come from ALL types of readers, whether they are single,married, with kids or without. This really isn't an issue that concerns families/singles, but an issue of general HEALTH concerns for ANY RESIDENT in the Bethpage/Old Bethpage area or any town located close to major industrial area or former/current manufacturing plants (ie Grumman). FWIW, I do not have kids nor plan to right now - but I think ahead in terms of the resale value of my future home, and all these toxic plume stories and potential cancer links are too real for me not to consider carefully before choosing to live that close to it.

While JDawg8181 does correctly point out that many factors come into play for linking cancer to a specific town, activity, product and/or lifestyle (see for example, the recent news story about the cancer link to Colgate toothpaste-- see: Chemical triclosan used in Colgate Total toothpaste is linked to cancer | Mail Online)- , the fact is that Bethpage and many parts of Long Island have had a lot of history with respect to cancer clusters and it has made it to legislative level action and discussion...See: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CHRG-107shrg80650/pdf/CHRG-107shrg80650.pdf
and Local clustering in breast, lung and colorectal cancer in Long Island, New York

Even if there are no conclusive studies proving cancer clusters or links are evident in Bethpage (and if there were, can you imagine the public outcry that would result and political fallout from scientific studies surfacing that show cancer and thus result in a disastrous drop in the real estate market for those towns?), I do not want to take my chances finding out when it is already too late..

Last edited by LegalDiva; 08-15-2014 at 11:14 AM..

Old 08-15-2014, 11:10 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Show me the proof that the plume is linked to cancer rates. There's no proof just speculation.

There are a boatload of ppl living in that area. I think if people were really that concerned these areas of LI would have much smaller populations.

Just bc my opinions differ from others or from yours, doesnt make me silly or dumb or anything of the sort. I did not advise the OP to move there, I just simply stated my opinion.

Also just bc I dont have kids of my own, doesnt mean I havent helped raise one.
Show me proof it's not contributing to health issues (hint: it's not all about cancer)... otherwise, stop this silly rant of yours that minimizes a hazard that has proven to exist. This isn't a creationism debate. The municipalities are taking action to attempt to minimize or mitigate the problem. Sounds like you think they're wasting their time since there's "no proof". These areas are environmentally hazardous - proven.

People live in hazardous conditions all over the world - many knowingly buy into them. The spirit of these discussions on the Plume, which you insist on entering like a bull in a china shop, are people who have concerns about raising a family on top of toxic chemicals - drinking the water and maybe growing a tomato plant in the backyard. Your take on this is that it's business as usual until we see a clear spike in cancer rates... well, by then it's too late for your kids and their kids. You get one shot at raising a family and the #1 thing parents want is to raise HEALTHY and happy kids. You don't get a do over. Do you not get that? Why take the risk? Because a "boatload of ppl" live in that area? Really?

P.S ... nothing, repeat nothing, can provide the same feeling you have when talking about protecting your flesh and blood kids. To someone like you who talks about "how important family is" and enters every transplant debate with that guns blazing - multiply that by a gazillion to give you a small glimpse of a Mom and her own kids.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:25 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Show me proof it's not contributing to health issues (hint: it's not all about cancer)... otherwise, stop this silly rant of yours that minimizes a hazard that has proven to exist. This isn't a creationism debate. The municipalities are taking action to attempt to minimize or mitigate the problem. Sounds like you think they're wasting their time since there's "no proof". These areas are environmentally hazardous - proven.

People live in hazardous conditions all over the world - many knowingly buy into them. The spirit of these discussions on the Plume, which you insist on entering like a bull in a china shop, are people who have concerns about raising a family on top of toxic chemicals - drinking the water and maybe growing a tomato plant in the backyard. Your take on this is that it's business as usual until we see a clear spike in cancer rates... well, by then it's too late for your kids and their kids. You get one shot at raising a family and the #1 thing parents want is to raise HEALTHY and happy kids. You don't get a do over. Do you not get that? Why take the risk? Because a "boatload of ppl" live in that area? Really?

P.S ... nothing, repeat nothing, can provide the same feeling you have when talking about protecting your flesh and blood kids. To someone like you who talks about "how important family is" and enters every transplant debate with that guns blazing - multiply that by a gazillion to give you a small glimpse of a Mom and her own kids.
Nice of you to insult someone who didnt insult you.

Cripes! God forbid i have a different opinion than you.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:27 AM

573 posts, read 1,242,793 times
OP, here are some of the older threads regarding the plume, not sure if you read through these, those threads will have links to the EPA site about the plume, among other helpful links. Good luck

Bethpage toxic plume...deal breaker?

Bethpage Toxic Plume/ Plainview Old Bethpage

Contaminated Area in Bethpage

Old 08-15-2014, 11:45 AM

37 posts, read 98,968 times
Thank you for the links! I have read through some but not all the older threads... I think what it comes down to is my gut and right now losing the money is nothing compared to maybe losing my family to cancer!! Thanks for all your opinions!!

Old 08-15-2014, 11:57 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
I wouldn't choose to live there either but if you're 100% sure you'd lose the 25k by backing out, then I would also consider everyone in Bethpage who hasn't had any issues with it despite being there 30 years. At least you're not on top of the plume right? Just buy a lot of Poland Spring - I wouldn't do anything with that water other than bathe in it (out of necessity).

Old 08-15-2014, 01:03 PM

126 posts, read 222,134 times
OP, maybe you could consider a whole house filtration system for your general use and a reverse osmosis system for your cooking and drinking needs? Not sure what the toxins are in the Bethpage plume, but osmosis is usually a pretty reliable way to clean water. In areas where there are municipal lead pipes for water supply (yes, parts of the US really do have lead supply of water), this is a common approach.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:06 PM

No we would be north of the plume & south of spagnoli road where the superfund site is which is being remediated as well apparently. We were also going to get a reverse osmosis water filtration system also installed. Does anyone know about this type of system? Does it take the nitrates & toxic chemicals out of the water?? Ty!

Old 08-19-2014, 02:37 PM

This is just an update: spoke to the EPA & the DOH about the plume & the proximity it is to the house we are in contract in. The EPA said the plume is over 12,000 feet away from this house, this house is elevated so there is no chance the plume will reach it bc they've studied the way the plume travels, also I am very north of the plume.
The Dept of Health said: the plume is dangerous if we are drinking the groundwater ( we would have to drink a gallon of groundwater a day for 7 years in order to get sick, also the plume is 700 feet deep so it's not a health hazard if it was 50 ft or higher, closer to the top soil, ppl would be in danger. DOH said our health is not in danger. Also Bethpage's water is one of the cleanest out on LI bc of the focus of the plume. Governor Cuomo has letters from community members & Senator Shumer to help remediate & stop the ine all together! Let's keep writing to stop this plume in its tracks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island