Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 10:53 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,768,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Wang went about the Lighthouse project backwards. He should have followed in AEG & LA Arena Company's footsteps (Staples Center). STAPLES Center's Groundbreaking Finance Package Is Largest-Ever For A Sports Arena | STAPLES Center

Acquire the land adjacent to the Coliseum, have Bear Sterns sell funding, strike a deal with the municipality to upgrade the local infrastructure, and create a jewel which will lead to more entertainment, restaurant, hotel development in the immediate area. Then start developing those phases.

The Staples Center isn't in some remote suburb -- this is in the heart of a busy area, yet somehow it works very well. Kate really screwed up denying this.
Comparing Nassau County and one struggling franchise to a downtown LA location featuring one of the marquee franchises in all of sports (Lakers) in addition to two other pro teams is not really an apples to apples look at things. Being located in a busy area is not an impediment and a huge part of why it's been such a huge success. Plus, with THREE anchor tenants, you're looking at 120 dates already in place before you book a single concert.

Plus, the fact that after all of this time nobody ever came forward with a privately funded option for the arena tells me that option was going to lose money. Nobody was going to take that risk that if they built the new coliseum the other development maybe would have come later. In LA, the arena by itself was going to be a huge success regardless of whether or not LA Live ever was developed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 12:23 PM

413 posts, read 599,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Wang went about the Lighthouse project backwards. He should have followed in AEG & LA Arena Company's footsteps (Staples Center). STAPLES Center's Groundbreaking Finance Package Is Largest-Ever For A Sports Arena | STAPLES Center

Acquire the land adjacent to the Coliseum, have Bear Sterns sell funding, strike a deal with the municipality to upgrade the local infrastructure, and create a jewel which will lead to more entertainment, restaurant, hotel development in the immediate area. Then start developing those phases.

The Staples Center isn't in some remote suburb -- this is in the heart of a busy area, yet somehow it works very well. Kate really screwed up denying this.

The ones in the downtown urban areas do much better...LA, Washington DC, Barclays for example. Better public trans, higher retail rent values, less Nimby hassle cause they play the eminent domain card if necessary.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,744,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Comparing Nassau County and one struggling franchise to a downtown LA location featuring one of the marquee franchises in all of sports (Lakers) in addition to two other pro teams is not really an apples to apples look at things. Being located in a busy area is not an impediment and a huge part of why it's been such a huge success. Plus, with THREE anchor tenants, you're looking at 120 dates already in place before you book a single concert.

Plus, the fact that after all of this time nobody ever came forward with a privately funded option for the arena tells me that option was going to lose money. Nobody was going to take that risk that if they built the new coliseum the other development maybe would have come later. In LA, the arena by itself was going to be a huge success regardless of whether or not LA Live ever was developed.
Uniondale/Hempstead have access to both bus and train transit, as well as parkway access. If the Uniondale spur were to be opened for special coliseum run trains, people could get to the Coliseum easily. NIMBYs and Kate didn't like that.

That downtown LA location (which going by Google looks somewhat like Hempstead/Uniondale) had to get their anchor tenants from someplace.

Where did the Lakers play before the Staples Center? The Forum in Inglewood
Where did the Clippers play before the SC? Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena
Where did the Kings play before the SC? The Forum in Inglewood

The LA Memorial Sports Arena is adjacent to the USC campus -- not unlike the Coliseum's proximity to Hofstra (and stretching a little further: Adelphi & NCC.) The Forum in Inglewood is older than the Coliseum, and has recently undergone extensive renovations since being purchased by MSG, LP to compete with the AEG held Staples Center.

The more I think about it, the more I have to wonder whether Kate & Co were bought and sold by the Dolans, fearing competition from Wang should the Lighthouse have been built.

(I found it interesting that of the 3 -- Forum, LAMSA, & Nassau Coliseum, the Coliseum is the 'newest' of the grouping.)

Old 08-22-2014, 07:01 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,155,449 times
I'm a Rangers fan and even I would like to see one more game at the Coliseum before they go, having grown up on the island. A bunch of my friends are Isles fans and I spent a lot of time in that building over the years, crappy as it may be. Saw my first arena rock show there, saw the Dead, and countless other shows. I remember going to the circus as a kid and being bored out of my mind. It's a shame that they let that building deteriorate like it did.

Time marches on, I guess. So much for progress.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:35 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,155,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
I'm a Rangers fan and even I would like to see one more game at the Coliseum before they go, having grown up on the island. A bunch of my friends are Isles fans and I spent a lot of time in that building over the years, crappy as it may be. Saw my first arena rock show there, saw the Dead, and countless other shows. I remember going to the circus as a kid and being bored out of my mind. It's a shame that they let that building deteriorate like it did.

Time marches on, I guess. So much for progress.
It was great for concerts but it needs major work. Local politicians destroyed the chance of that (Kate). Now it could eventually be a vacant lot. Great job creating revenue! They'll miss the Islanders when they are thriving in their 25 year deal at Barclay.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:24 AM

413 posts, read 599,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
It was great for concerts but it needs major work. Local politicians destroyed the chance of that (Kate). Now it could eventually be a vacant lot. Great job creating revenue! They'll miss the Islanders when they are thriving in their 25 year deal at Barclay.
^
^
^< < < < Yup! In fact, instead of Concets, Pro Hockey and potentially a Pro basketball team, it becomes a pile of taxpayer subsidized, oversized, under-utilized albatross....and eventually rubble. And the same politicians win another landslide election. Status quo par excellence. I still have a small side bet on it becoming the world's largest Walgreens, bodega and check cashing store, but I hope I don't win that one.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:25 AM

150 posts, read 298,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
^
^
^< < < < Yup! In fact, instead of Concets, Pro Hockey and potentially a Pro basketball team, it becomes a pile of taxpayer subsidized, oversized, under-utilized albatross....and eventually rubble. And the same politicians win another landslide election. Status quo par excellence. I still have a small side bet on it becoming the world's largest Walgreens, bodega and check cashing store, but I hope I don't win that one.
As a former NCC student, I'm really excited they can expand the parking that was always full on that side of the campus and still get a Walgreens, bodega, check cashing store and maybe even Dunkin Donuts. It's gonna be great.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:25 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,744,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLists09 View Post
As a former NCC student, I'm really excited they can expand the parking that was always full on that side of the campus and still get a Walgreens, bodega, check cashing store and maybe even Dunkin Donuts. It's gonna be great.
You forgot about the nail salon and foot relaxation spa!

Old 08-26-2014, 05:13 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,726,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
^
^
Haha, could also be Long Island's first true Super Walmart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island