Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:04 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,879,879 times

Advertisements

^ I think another important code to follow is your burner area must have a fire-resistant door if you're going to close it off. And of course a CO detector down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 08:47 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
I guess the town of Islip is more leanient than the TONH. I was able to buy my current home without permits for the finished basement and my deck...with the understanding that it is my responsibility to deal with any problems that arise. If need be, I can yank out my sink and stove to avoid the finished aspect of the basement, and my deck will likely need replacing soon anyhow.

But, I was able to buy with no issue...and that was doing it completely through two lawyers with written contracts.
Apparently your lender was more forgiving than many others. Without proper permits, many lenders won't give buyers a mortgage.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,299 times
GC has sky high taxes. If you are going to live there longer than ten years the tax savings will be more than any possible fines.

But I would do it to code.

But remember, now you cant expand your house or do stuff you have no choice to get permits. Once the town comes in and sees the un-permited stuff it opens a can of worms.

Also it might impact your sales price as buyer might want money off prior to closing due to permit issues.

If you are never selling or never doing anything that will require permits and plan on staying in house till they take you out feet first to funeral home it is a no brainer to skip permits and go for lower taxes.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:37 PM

63 posts, read 152,184 times
What confuses me is what constitutes a "finished basement"? My current basement has old tiled floor but no drywall.

Also, what is the exact code with an egress window? When is it needed? I bought the house without an egress window but it was not an issue. Do I only need one if I "finish" my basement?

Old 12-30-2014, 05:47 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingtoli View Post
What confuses me is what constitutes a "finished basement"? My current basement has old tiled floor but no drywall.

Also, what is the exact code with an egress window? When is it needed? I bought the house without an egress window but it was not an issue. Do I only need one if I "finish" my basement?
In the TNH an egress window is necessary when it is considered a "living space". That requires a further definition that seems rather nebulous. To me, a living space means a bath, kitchen and sleeping quarters even if it is just a pull out couch. I have friends who had to put egress windows in without a kitchen in the basement, (they had a full bath there) but it was suggested by the inspector that a microwave and hot plate could be a kitchen.

IF you have no walls then you don't need an egress window, in theory because no one is sleeping, bathing and cooking there.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:38 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,564 times
If you live in ToNH just get the permit unless as someone said above, you never EVER plan to do anything to your house or sell. They are extremely strict and if you ever need a permit again you will be sorry. My friend bought a house 10 yrs ago when no one cared and it has been a very LONG process to get it taken care of.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:03 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingtoli View Post

A tiled floor probably doesn't constitute a finished basement. If there is paneling or drywall then it is.

Just do it the right way and be done with it. Honestly I wish we'd put in an egress window long before we did (at the 11th hour before closing) - it made the basement so much nicer.

You will need plans to submit to the village but I got a guy to do mine for a reasonable amount and the village "knows" him so they passed through quickly (if it's GC).

Old 12-31-2014, 07:34 AM

406 posts, read 874,363 times
Who did you use for your egress window? Do you happen to remember how much it cost (roughly)?

Old 12-31-2014, 08:02 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByWayofCanarsie View Post
Who did you use for your egress window? Do you happen to remember how much it cost (roughly)?
I used ACPM Construction in Garden City. It was $3500.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:14 AM

201 posts, read 333,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
I guess the town of Islip is more leanient than the TONH. I was able to buy my current home without permits for the finished basement and my deck...with the understanding that it is my responsibility to deal with any problems that arise. If need be, I can yank out my sink and stove to avoid the finished aspect of the basement, and my deck will likely need replacing soon anyhow.

But, I was able to buy with no issue...and that was doing it completely through two lawyers with written contracts.
For some reason everyone on this forum makes it out to sound like the town, bank, or who ever check for all these permits when you buy or sell a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island