Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:33 AM

17 posts, read 35,597 times

Advertisements

My family uses Tragar Oil. They have different price structures and there's no C.O.D. And it doesn't seem to be as expensive as what you are saying. And they offer a price protection program: Price Protection Programs - Long Island Heating and Cooling | Tragar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 09:23 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Slomins is now quoting as of Friday Afternoon $2.99 a gallon on a fixed rate and $3.09 without a contract.

Oil went up in price nine weeks in a row the longest consecutive weekly price increase in 30 years!!!!!!!

Amazing the difference in locking in from nine weeks ago like $2.20 to around $3 bucks a gallon in just nine weeks. Even more amazing usually oil prices shot up in winter not in late spring.

When folks contracts run out in next few months will be a lot of sticker shock unless oil falls back down. Folks without a contract will feel it at the next fill up.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:34 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Slomins is now quoting as of Friday Afternoon $2.99 a gallon on a fixed rate and $3.09 without a contract.

Oil went up in price nine weeks in a row the longest consecutive weekly price increase in 30 years!!!!!!!

Amazing the difference in locking in from nine weeks ago like $2.20 to around $3 bucks a gallon in just nine weeks. Even more amazing usually oil prices shot up in winter not in late spring.

When folks contracts run out in next few months will be a lot of sticker shock unless oil falls back down. Folks without a contract will feel it at the next fill up.
Its all about the stock market. Based on supply and demand, It will be low again in August. Probably in the $2.20's

Old 06-03-2015, 10:03 AM

5 posts, read 6,086 times
Quote:
About to lock in a new Heating Oil Contract that includes a free service contract at a price of $2.59 a gallon with Slomins. Is that a good deal?

Getting nervous as oil prices last few days seem to be rising. Could be a blip and they could start to free fall again. But since I have no contract right now getting nervous could keep rising.

So is this a decent price? It is for one year or 700 gallons which ever comes first.

Lots have a lesser price. But nervous are they teaser rates or will contact cost a lot.
That doesn't sound like a good deal to me, even with a free service contract. COD oil is always a better deal, and it always comes cheaper than any locked-in or contract price. You just have to know where to look for cheaper prices. When you lock yourself in a contract, companies have to ensure that any potential repair costs will be covered so they overcharge you for oil deliveries by a lot. Today for example the wholesale market price for oil is about $1.90 and COD companies are selling for as low as $2.23/g (for 100 gallons cash price) so you'll be paying $36 more for that delivery if you are in a contract for $2.59/g. Hope that helps.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRes45 View Post
That doesn't sound like a good deal to me, even with a free service contract. COD oil is always a better deal, and it always comes cheaper than any locked-in or contract price. You just have to know where to look for cheaper prices. When you lock yourself in a contract, companies have to ensure that any potential repair costs will be covered so they overcharge you for oil deliveries by a lot. Today for example the wholesale market price for oil is about $1.90 and COD companies are selling for as low as $2.23/g (for 100 gallons cash price) so you'll be paying $36 more for that delivery if you are in a contract for $2.59/g. Hope that helps.
But the other issue with COD is if you are in a flood zone. After Sandy the wait for a new oil burner was very long. And a gas burner even longer. Every company was first doing existing customers. I called Slomins and they penciled me in for Friday after Thanksgiving. Next two weeks I called around trying to get one sooner and everyone told me after existing customers are done. Late January and early Feb was most places.

That alone saved me two months in a hotel.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:38 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Anyone get any yearly locked in quotes lately?

I see oil is down big time right now, about $1.95 per gallon cash. Thinking of locking in.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:08 PM

what are places like Petro and Slomins willing to do on a contract?

Old 07-27-2015, 02:54 PM

252 posts, read 420,067 times
Quote:
what are places like Petro and Slomins willing to do on a contract?
Was quoted $2.29 a gallon by Slomins at the mall. The top service contract was $159.00. Includes the water heater as well.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:45 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
That my friend is gold. Which mall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman140 View Post
Was quoted $2.29 a gallon by Slomins at the mall. The top service contract was $159.00. Includes the water heater as well.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:09 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
That my friend is gold. Which mall?
Gold??? It will be 30cents cheaper in a month. Oil is dropping big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island