Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:34 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,417,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
He came up clean.
Here's a question for the 'Pro-Drunk Driving' people in this thread: What if the Limo driver's blood test showed .066 BAC 1.5 hours after the crash? ...you will realize the illogical stupidity of your argument.
"I mean, he's just a little drunk so there's no way to know if it was a factor in the crash."

Teplimey, everything you're saying has already been addressed in this thread. Read back if you want.
Not sure why you are so one sided on this. The limo driver is not at any fault here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 12:52 PM

519 posts, read 599,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Not sure why you are so one sided on this. The limo driver is not at any fault here?
Already covered in this thread multiple times. This thread is going in circles. The people (like bigstigs) that keep saying "wait for the facts" & "we're not sure if alcohol played a part in it" are why LI has such a serious problem with DWI.

bigstigs, nice dodging on every one of posts . You dodge well, I have to admit. Yes, we'll wait to see how this plays out. In the meantime, drive safely. If you happen to cross paths with a drunk driver in the future, be sure to first find out if alcohol played a part in the wreck . Peace.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Already covered in this thread multiple times. This thread is going in circles. The people (like bigstigs) that keep saying "wait for the facts" & "we're not sure if alcohol played a part in it" are why LI has such a serious problem with DWI.

bigstigs, nice dodging on every one of posts . You dodge well, I have to admit. Yes, we'll wait to see how this plays out. In the meantime, drive safely. If you happen to cross paths with a drunk driver in the future, be sure to first find out if alcohol played a part in the wreck . Peace.
Do you work for Newsday?

Old 07-29-2015, 01:12 PM

142 posts, read 265,715 times
Quote:

Yeah, I'm waiting on the facts. I've already stated the guy was "charged" with DWI, but the fact is you CAN'T prove to me that his BAC played a part in the accident. You just can't at the moment until it's either shown he was speeding and/or his stopping time was sufficient to avoid the collision. No dodging here. You are part of the knee-jerk "OH MY GOD! ALCOHOL! IT MUST BE THE REASON!" crowd. And if someone disagrees with you or wants to wait for all of the FACTS, you will call them out as "drunk driver supporters".

I've read one eye-witness testimony and that was of someone who said the limo turned right in front of the truck. As many have mentioned and questioned- would it matter if the guy was stone-cold sober or completely sauced? I don't know....I'm waiting for ALL of the facts. I don't know is he was speeding...I don't know if he had enough time to do something to avoid it. What I do know is a limo turned in front of a truck (possibly) going the speed limit at 55 mph. Even if I was alone in a car, let alone in charge of 4 lives, I would never do that.

At least we can agree on one thing....we'll wait to see how this plays out. Something I've wanted all along. Not news stories that have headlines like "DRUNK DRIVER KILLS 4 ON EAST END!" or people screaming he fled the scene, only to find out he didn't.

Patience and understanding, my friend.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:24 PM

519 posts, read 599,061 times
Good to know if I ever take up drunk driving, at least I'll have the patience and understanding of a few people. We'll see how it goes.

"yeah, I steamrolled that kid crossing sunrise highway but he was jay-walking...the alcohol had nothing to do with it officer"

"I smashed into and killed the family that failed to yield at the intersection - I had the right of way - the alcohol had nothing to do with it officer"

Yikes!!... this is twilight-zone-like. I'm glad that we've evolved from thinking like this, and that reality is not like this.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:33 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,770,608 times
Quote:
People, like myself, are not saying alcohol didn't play a part in this, however we are saying that there was more to this. If the limo driver made the turn too late, (whether the pick up driver was sober, buzzed, or drunk) the collision would have been unavoidable. Will we ever know how much of an impact the pick up driver's BAC had in the collision? No. The only things we do know for certain:

1) The pick up driver had consumed beer.
2) An eyewitness indicated that the limo driver turned right in front of the pick up.
3) Four young women are dead.

We have no idea what the accident scene analysis will turn up with respect to trajectories, skid marks, impact, or whether the limo driver was distracted by or using one of his cell phones.

While you're making a good point about DWI (which is a serious problem everywhere, not just on LI) you're not acknowledging the point others are making that the limo driver had a hand in this as well.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

While you're making a good point about DWI (which is a serious problem everywhere, not just on LI) you're not acknowledging the point others are making that the limo driver had a hand in this as well.
Exactly!

Old 07-29-2015, 01:39 PM

142 posts, read 265,715 times
Quote:
Good to know if I ever take up drunk driving, at least I'll have the patience and understanding of a few people. We'll see how it goes.

"yeah, I steamrolled that kid crossing sunrise highway but he was jay-walking...the alcohol had nothing to do with it officer"

"I smashed into and killed the family that failed to yield at the intersection - I had the right of way - the alcohol had nothing to do with it officer"

Yikes!!... this is twilight-zone-like. I'm glad that we've evolved from thinking like this, and that reality is not like this.
What if I hit the jaywalking kid while driving sober? It's not like I'm saying it's ok for a red truck to barrel down the road with a limo in the middle of it because he "has the right of way". If I saw a kid jaywalking and I had time to avoid him, I WOULD. The question is- Did the guy in the red truck have enough time to do anything, drunk or sober? WE DON'T KNOW!

Same with your second example. If I have enough time to avoid the family who didn't yield, I would. But if I didn't have enough time....guess who is at fault? That's right....the family. Just as the kid jaywalking across Sunrise would be at fault.

Your arguments are weak and don't address the issue at hand which is- was there enough time for anyone, drunk or sober, to avoid the limo? So many people are saying "Oh, he could have at least turned the wheel! He could have braked! He could have summoned the powers of Zeus to avoid it!"......but holy hell, how do you know!? You weren't there. I wasn't there. We both don't know the facts. Do you know something I don't???

If I was stopped at a stop sign waiting to cross a 55 mph road and then proceeded across without seeing a car going 55 mph just 50 yards from me and I got NAILED, leading to losing the use of my legs...I don't care if the guy was drunk as a skunk. I'd say "Boy, BigStigs, this really sucks...but there is nothing that guy could have done because you did something stupid." Maybe in not those words, but I prefer personal responsibility over blaming everyone under the sun without facts.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:45 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,601,415 times
Quote:

By your rationale, if a completely hammered guy stopped at a red light was rear-ended by a teetotaler, the former would be at fault.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:15 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,547,291 times
Quote:
So what you are claiming is:

Quote:
If driver had anything to drink that day, he is 100% at fault.
If jay-walker had anything to drink that day, he is 100% at fault.

Quote:
If driver had anything to drink that day, he is 100% at fault.
If family that failed to yield at intersection had anything to drink that day, that driver is 100% at fault.

In both situations, if both parties had a drink, is it equal responsibility? Or is fault pro-rated for BAC?
In both situations, if both parties had nothing to drink, how do you determine fault? Or is it then no one's fault and just an unavoidable accident?

Quote:
It sure makes things simple when a single drink of alcohol at some point during the day can automatically and unequivocally determine fault. I'm just not sure I would call that simple-minded reasoning "evolved." Certainly, driving while impaired or drunk is dangerous and causes accidents (that's why it is illegal). However, it is not a magic answer to anything and everything which goes wrong in the world - that is reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island