Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 05:20 PM

186 posts, read 244,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Get over you guns kid.

Not about guns but about the hypocrisy of the brain dead democrat and republican following a politicians agenda to get re-elected.

Just pointing out when you here all that anti gun talk "it's for the children" and it's all for a "safer society" we all know it's BS. Well, those who think for themselves do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 06:28 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHR View Post
Not about guns but about the hypocrisy of the brain dead democrat and republican following a politicians agenda to get re-elected.

Just pointing out when you here all that anti gun talk "it's for the children" and it's all for a "safer society" we all know it's BS. Well, those who think for themselves do.
You brought up a completely irrelevant point because you are obsessed and have a gun fetish.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:00 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstigs View Post
To get back on topic, if you're referring to the recent crash in Cutchogue, it sounds to me like more of the blame should be put on the poorly trained limo driver who pulled out into 55 mph traffic while in charge of 8 lives. Granted, the dirt bag DWI should get his just desserts, but hardly anyone is talking about the limo driver. Blows my mind.
I agree. The limo driver shares some blame in this.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:31 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICDForumbites View Post
According to witnesses the limo cut in front of the truck. According to authorities the truck tired to stop. He's getting vehicular manslaughter without a doubt but let's include all of the story as it's been reported so far, not just make up unsubstantiated nonsense like "he did nothing" or "if not impaired he would've been able to blah blah blah." Fact is, more to blame than just the drunk driver. A poor decision by the limo driver, a known and notorious turn in a spot known for just this type of accident and an impaired driver in the wrong place at the wrong time and of questionable abilities. Anyone who's ever ridden a motorcycle knows that if someone makes a turn in front of you when you have the right of way, there is absolutely NOTHING you can do to stop, not a thing.
http://www.thezenith.com/files/parla...ay1520_006.pdf

PERCEPTION/REACTION DISTANCE + BRAKING DISTANCE = STOPPING DISTANCE

Quote:
All drivers take a fraction of a second to perceive a hazard, and a fraction of a second to react before putting on the brakes. This time translates into perception and reaction distance—the distance your vehicle will travel in the time it takes you to perceive the hazard and to move your foot from the accelerator to the brake pedal. To figure your perception and reaction distance in feet, take the first digit of your speed, add it to the total speed and double it.

Speed + First Digit = Perception/Reaction Distance
20 mph + 2 = 22 feet x 2 = 44 feet
In other words, at 20 miles per hour, your vehicle will travel 44 feet in the time it takes you to see a hazard and move your foot from the accelerator to the brake pedal.

The faster you’re going, the further your vehicle will travel before you can hit the brakes.

Speed + First Digit = Perception/Reaction Distance
55 mph + 5 = 60 feet x 2 = 120 feet

Braking distance is also determined by speed. Here are braking distances for some speeds for a passenger car with well-maintained brakes on flat pavement in dry weather:
At… Braking distance is…
55 mph...192 to 224 feet

Now we can calculate the stopping distance for these speeds:
At… Perception/Reaction + Braking distance = Stopping distance

55 mph...120 feet + 192 to 224 feet = 312 to 344 feet

It’s easy to see that stopping distance is very much greater at high speeds than at low speeds. The faster you are going, the greater the distance you must allow between you and the car in front of you for safety.
The limo drive certainly has blood on his hands.

I drove through this intersection on Tuesday heading to and from Orient. The limo driver should have been able to see far enough ahead into the westbound lanes on 48 to see another vehicle approaching.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:24 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

I drove through this intersection on Tuesday heading to and from Orient. The limo driver should have been able to see far enough ahead into the westbound lanes on 48 to see another vehicle approaching.
He sure does. Another note.....the driver was not drunk. He had less than legal limit for DWI, but was dwai. I'm sorry, but the limo driver needs to be charged. He's more at fault than the driver of the car that hit the limo.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:32 PM

142 posts, read 265,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
He sure does. Another note.....the driver was not drunk. He had less than legal limit for DWI, but was dwai. I'm sorry, but the limo driver needs to be charged. He's more at fault than the driver of the car that hit the limo.
Was he charged with DWAI and not DWI? I feel like I recall seeing reports of a DWI charge. If DWAI, that's a BIG difference.

Again, I'll wait for all facts, but my blood is beginning to boil a little more as I continue to hear people skip over the apparent poor driving/judgement of the limo driver.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:30 PM

519 posts, read 597,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Unless of course the vehicle was SPEEDING! By the time the limo made it perpendicular with the road, the truck driver had to have had several seconds to see a 20 foot limo. This guy should not have T-boned the limo like that.

What's the stopping distance if a driver is DWI?? Throw those calculations out the window.

You can guess who shoulda woulda seen who and what not, but the main fact we have is one of the drivers was intoxicated and their driving abilities impaired.

There must be a lot of people who regularly drink & drive on here. Never seen so much support for a drunk driver who killed 4 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICDForumbites View Post
According to witnesses the limo cut in front of the truck. According to authorities the truck tired to stop. He's getting vehicular manslaughter without a doubt but let's include all of the story as it's been reported so far, not just make up unsubstantiated nonsense like "he did nothing" or "if not impaired he would've been able to blah blah blah." Fact is, more to blame than just the drunk driver. A poor decision by the limo driver, a known and notorious turn in a spot known for just this type of accident and an impaired driver in the wrong place at the wrong time and of questionable abilities. Anyone who's ever ridden a motorcycle knows that if someone makes a turn in front of you when you have the right of way, there is absolutely NOTHING you can do to stop, not a thing.
The fact is the driver of the pickup truck was impaired.

Yeah, you can dodge it like this guy in the video or you can try to stop and hope you don't lose control. What does a bike have to do with a truck?? I can guarantee you if the biker was impaired like the truck driver, that would've been an ugly ending for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWdM7pOzVI4

Last edited by Howard Beale; 07-23-2015 at 04:14 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
The fact is the driver of the pickup truck was impaired.

Yeah, you can dodge it like this guy in the video or you can try to stop and hope you don't lose control. What does a bike have to do with a truck?? I can guarantee you if the biker was impaired like the truck driver, that would've been an ugly ending for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWdM7pOzVI4
Great video and example of someone being able to avoid a car pulling out into traffic. If these were the exact conditions in the recent crash on LI, I would say it is the truck driver's fault. BUT, who knows? The limo could have pulled out in front of him at half that distance or even less.

And further...it has yet to be determined if the truck driver was actually impaired, rather he was charged.

And while I normally will trust the "guarantee" of a random person on the internet, I cannot in this instance.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Unless of course the vehicle was SPEEDING! By the time the limo made it perpendicular with the road, the truck driver had to have had several seconds to see a 20 foot limo. This guy should not have T-boned the limo like that.

What's the stopping distance if a driver is DWI?? Throw those calculations out the window.

You can guess who shoulda woulda seen who and what not, but the main fact we have is one of the drivers was intoxicated and their driving abilities impaired.

There must be a lot of people who regularly drink & drive on here. Never seen so much support for a drunk driver who killed 4 people.
I don't think anyone is supporting a drunk driver. I, for one, am just waiting for the facts to come out before I pass judgement.

The guy SHOULD NOT have t-boned him? Why? Were you driving? Are you an expert in car crashes?
How fast did that limo take the turn?

And again, I'll say, the driver was charged...what was his BAC? Was it taken at the scene? breathalyzer?

Christ, people. Just because someone has a difference of opinion or hasn't taken a side yet doesn't mean they condone terrible things.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:54 PM

703 posts, read 1,174,577 times
There are a lot of unknown facts. I was mistaken in my comment above; while it is known that the pickup driver was drinking beer earlier in the day, his BAC results havent been released so its unknown whether he was impaired. Let's give the police time to do their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island