Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 02:56 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,219,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
My taxes are very reasonable. Why, I never traded up homes still in starter home, never did a renovation that required a permit and grieve my taxes.

Brand new construction homes and homes on the water with large square footage and homes that have recently undergone renovations that increased square footage greater than 50% pay higher taxes.

Therefore property taxes are a luxury. First you don't need to buy a house at all. Just rent. Heck parts of Long Beach and Great Neck still have rent stabilized units. Older folks there are income based complexes which are rentals etc or coops with low taxes.

Or do what I do live in a smaller, older house that has not been blown out.

Yes I could afford to buy a 1.2 million dollar home in RVC but the taxes would make me want to vomit. Some of them are 30K a year. My buddy has a huge showy house in Massapequa on the water and pays 35K a year.

They want to be a big shot let them pay. I also have a neighbor in a little house like me who is a C level employee at a bank so I see his income. I think he makes around 1.2 million a year. He lives in a little house on Southshore walking distance to LIRR around Lynnbrook. Never traded up as did not want to pay huge RE tax. Instead back in the late 1990s bought a huge waterfront home in the Hamptons that only pays like 3k in taxes.

Uses the little house basically to sleep in Monday through Thursday night. Sure he could of got all showy, but the 35K tax houses are stupid and in AMT not really deductible.
Same thing for my sister in law. She took over the moms home on LI when she passed away. The home is tiny & has not been upgraded in years! But her taxes are only $3000 year. So as long as she does not need more space & does no upgrades she has it made.But IMHO that home needs something done to it. Even if it is small. But that kitchen & bath leave much to be desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 03:06 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,219,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Is LI that much more expensive than other major city burbs? ( Chicago, DC, Boston, LA)
Tax wise YES! Take a nice home in lets say Weston,Fl a pricey upscale suburb of Ft. Lauderdale. A home there that is around 800,000 with a nice yard & pool will have taxes of about $9,000 there. Take that same home & put it here on LI & the taxes will easily be over $20,000 year easily. Place I had there using Florida Homestead exemption cost me 1200 year in taxes. Put that home up here today on LI the taxes would be 10,000 year easy. They have a new portability rules in Florida now. Meaning you can sell & buy a more expensive home there. BUT pay taxes based on what your previous home costs. Great new law! So the people that now own my home..if they live in it & do not rent it are paying only 1500 year in taxes I was told. Put that place up here & 15,000 easy...probably more.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:59 PM

6,387 posts, read 13,193,873 times
^^ You can't compare Ft. Lauderdale to LI.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:53 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,543,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Is LI that much more expensive than other major city burbs? ( Chicago, DC, Boston, LA)
Chicago is cheaper. The rest are not, really, maybe a little. Property taxes are an issue in all of them.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:55 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,326,937 times
Quote:
Most folk dont want to take a 100k pay cut to pay a few grand less taxes in a cheaper tax state.
Only if you commute to NYC. LI jobs don't pay more.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:24 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,164,837 times
BTW the elderly poor normally live in smaller older homes. And they can get enhanced star/senior citzen star and most folk in that era husband did Military so the veterns exemption.

The senior citizen star is a huge exemption is doubles enhanced star.

if you have a small original condition cape on a small plot in a non-incorporated town you are paying almost nothing if you have the senior citizen exemption combined with Vets.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Only if you commute to NYC. LI jobs don't pay more.
The trains are full of tons of folks nearly all making over six figures every day bringing money back to Nassau to support the high property taxes.

I like to lifeguard in the summer and maybe DJ on weekends do you think town will let me pay no taxes? Of course not. They charge you taxes like you are on that train working a real job

Old 03-02-2016, 07:20 AM

19,310 posts, read 17,210,822 times
Quote:
BTW the elderly poor normally live in smaller older homes. And they can get enhanced star/senior citzen star and most folk in that era husband did Military so the veterns exemption.

The senior citizen star is a huge exemption is doubles enhanced star.

if you have a small original condition cape on a small plot in a non-incorporated town you are paying almost nothing if you have the senior citizen exemption combined with Vets.
There's always an "if", a caveat, secret handshake something that you must be or qualify for to get this double secret break on taxes but for the average resident there are no breaks. For the elderly they are still paying a premium for everything from gas to electricity and every good and service in between.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:49 AM

20,304 posts, read 21,058,581 times
Where are all these 100k + a year jobs that everyone touts about like it's an average pay?
Almost everyone I know, and from my experience, getting $20 an hour is nothing short of a miracle.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
There's always an "if", a caveat, secret handshake something that you must be or qualify for to get this double secret break on taxes but for the average resident there are no breaks. For the elderly they are still paying a premium for everything from gas to electricity and every good and service in between.
Nah it is income based and must be a primary residence. I help my mother in law fill out forms and I dropped them off at Assessment office on Old Country Road. Right now they are due 12-31-2016 and all you need it s a completed 2015 income tax return and some other proofs of income, you deed, SS statements etc to apply.

And electric and gas is peanuts for an elderly widow in a small house even crazy LIPA/PSEG rates. My mother in laws house is only 1,300 square feet dual zone. She is only heating 650 square feet at a time. And she has a pellet stove so heat is off pretty much all day unless really freezing.

My house although small I am running five showers a day, dishwasher and washing machine every day along with multiple TVs and lights on in several rooms at once and whole house is being heated as cant use dual zone when folks are upstairs and downstairs. Add in my electric dryer and oven it is a high billl.

I had same house, wife and I retired electric, heat and water bills would fall like a brick.

Trouble is large high taxed houses you need a six figure salary in retirement to keep with no mortgages.

If go you go Garden City Park, Garden City South and you see tons of little 40x100 brick capes they are loaded with folks over 65. Move over to Garden City proper and 100x100 3,000 square foot colonials with 27K taxes folks are forced to sell in retirement unless they are well off. Also there is the huge contractor mark up for houses in rich neighborhoods that are large.

Key in Nassau is blue collar, non-incoporated, older small homes that have not been renovated get the cheap taxes. Think about it when you grieve regularly hard to do it when you just bought it for 1.1 million in Garden City and assessor landrecord viewer has two brand new Mercedes in driveway. Go to Garden City South file a grievance for a widow on enhanced star whose purchase price is $13,000 back in day and there is a 25 year old rusty chevy in driveway and a lot easy to win. Plus the comps are estate sales of run down houses. My mother in-laws block the last five sales on her block were estate sales of run down small capes. Easy comps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island