Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 12:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, without asking for papers, you can't. Plenty of people judge by appearance. Loitering on street corners looking for work, hanging around bodegas, speaking Spanish, clothes grimy from manual, hard labor...you know what I mean.

If you ask for papers, you're considered guilty of racial profiling.

Funny thing: I never considered the fact that my marriage was 'mixed' until people started making a stink about Hispanics and racial profiling.

Which brings me to the new county law:

Does anyone think they'll be asking employers for proof of Hispanic employees citizenship, or do you think they are going to focus on whites and African Americans in an effort to prove they aren't profiling?

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 05-16-2008 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 12:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Well, this is another topic/thread. But Im for the law although its not going to pass. And I would bet a pay check that it will focus on Hispanic's first, then others. But the point is that the Govt's are losing millions of dollars due to illegal workers, both Hispanic and non-Hispanic. Something has to give.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Unfortunately, without asking for papers, you can't. Plenty of people judge by appearance. Loitering on street corners looking for work, hanging around bodegas, speaking Spanish, clothes grimy from manual, hard labor...you know what I mean.

If you ask for papers, you're considered guilty of racial profiling.

Funny thing: I never considered the fact that my marriage was 'mixed' until people started making a stink about Hispanics and racial profiling.

Which brings me to the new county law:

Does anyone think they'll be asking employers for proof of Hispanic employees citizenship, or do you think they are going to focus on whites and African Americans in an effort to prove they aren't profiling?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:44 PM

12 posts, read 38,954 times
Illegals do not have children in the school system. They are single men living in rentals up by the train tracks and really have no effect on the neighborhoods of PJS. We do have a small spanish population but they are families that go to work, church, own homes, pay taxes, ect. My kids are in the schools here and honestly neither one have more than one or two spanish children in their classes.

Is that diversity?

Three Village has a large Asian population.

Mount Sinai has a large Indian population.

Rocky Point even has a spanish deli with a regular illegal crowd on the corner of Broadway and Prince.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:06 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,741 times
I don't care WHAT race is residing near the train tracks, but that area RIGHT AT THE TRACKS is scary. You've got two resident drunks who are constantly loitering in front of the pool hall/barber shop and cursing at passers by (they scream at our car on a daily basis). You also had that murder at the Bada Bing 2 years ago. Something NEEDS to be done with those two strips of retail shops/apartment rentals. Other than THOSE specified areas, I think PJS has some lovely areas/homes.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLI5 View Post
Illegals do not have children in the school system. They are single men living in rentals up by the train tracks and really have no effect on the neighborhoods of PJS. We do have a small spanish population but they are families that go to work, church, own homes, pay taxes, ect. My kids are in the schools here and honestly neither one have more than one or two spanish children in their classes.
Once again:
Spanish people are from SPAIN
Hispanic people are from Latin America and the Carribean.

The only thing they share in common is the language, and even then there area multiple dialects.

Don't fool yourself, there are children born to illegal parents in your schools. Let's not play the semantics game. Pols have allowed the 14th amendment of the US Constitution to be misconstrued which means babies born in the USA are citizens - no matter whether the parents of the child are legal or illegal. Why do you think they call them anchor babies?

Yes, the area around the LIRR may have more 'Persons of Questionable Citizen Status' but the bottom line is that they are in the Comsewogue school district and will ultimately impact your taxes and home values.

I don't care what color or creed my neighbor is just as long as they are here legally, contributing to the community in a POSITIVE way and keeping up their home.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:52 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Once again:
Spanish people are from SPAIN
Hispanic people are from Latin America and the Carribean.

People who trace their ancestry to Hispania -- Hispania was the name given by the Romans to the whole of the Iberian peninsula, shared by Spain and Portugal -- are Hispanic, and this would also include Sephardic Jews*.

People from Latin America (that's all of the Americas except Canada and the United States) are referred to as Latinos and Latinas.

* There was a court case about whether or not Sephardic Jews -- Jews from Spain and Portugal whose everyday language was Ladino, Castillian Spanish written using the Hebrew alphabet -- were entitled (I do hate that word) to a share of federal monies set-aside for Hispanics, and the judge presiding over that case ruled that Sephardic Jews were deemed to be Hispanic and entitled (I do hate that word) to share in those federal funds set-aside for Hispanics.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:57 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
The one in PJS isn't even nice on the inside, looks like they went for the bottom of the line basic builder materials; No crown molding, basic white formica, wall to wall 90's colored carpet. The one in Poquott is by far the nicest in my opinion. To be honest, my 1600 sq ft. ranch looks more upscale on the inside than all of these homes. But I guess it's all about a 3,000 sq ft shell of poor construction. (Refering to the PJS McMansion, the others look to be well built and at least have some character.)
I grew up in this area and left around 1998. The woodlands ias a newer area with very big homes.It's only about 2 or 3 blocks though. The area is nice and safe,the schools are good (Comsewogue),but not as good as three village obviously. Just avoid by the lake streets.That specific area has gone downhill a bit but not horrible.Besides that the rest of PJS homes should range 500k or much less.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
People who trace their ancestry to Hispania -- Hispania was the name given by the Romans to the whole of the Iberian peninsula, shared by Spain and Portugal -- are Hispanic, and this would also include Sephardic Jews*.

People from Latin America (that's all of the Americas except Canada and the United States) are referred to as Latinos and Latinas.

* There was a court case about whether or not Sephardic Jews -- Jews from Spain and Portugal whose everyday language was Ladino, Castillian Spanish written using the Hebrew alphabet -- were entitled (I do hate that word) to a share of federal monies set-aside for Hispanics, and the judge presiding over that case ruled that Sephardic Jews were deemed to be Hispanic and entitled (I do hate that word) to share in those federal funds set-aside for Hispanics.
That's all the 'technical stuff' but Spaniards do not like being lumped into the 'Hispanic' racial category. It's sort of like the Italian/Sicillian thing that many of my (as a child growing up) friend's grandparents had.

I can easily consider myself Hispanic (Spanish and Puerto Rican), my children mixed race and go for every program we are 'entitled' (I'm not a fan of the word either) to...

With respect to your response to mine, I stand corrected. But in terms of the People of Questionable Immigration Status in PJS, I feel safe in assuring the poster that those loitering in PJS are Hispanics who are not from SPAIN. The Spaniards responsible for giving them the bloodline (which allows for the 'Hispanic' designation) probably died 400+ years ago. These very same folks also have the blood of the Aztecs and Incas coursing through their veins, which does make them different from a Spaniard. Not a bad different, but racially different, at least the Census leads me to believe that. Native American is a different race category than white, black -- wouldn't Incas and Aztecs also be considered Native to their country in some respect?

The bottom line is that people who speak Spanish are not necessarily Spanish. Mexicans, Ecuadoreans, El Salvadorans, et.al. take fierce pride in their countries of origin. Calling them Spanish is disrespectful of their heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island