Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 09:10 AM

184 posts, read 233,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ You will want the central air. Its not worth the tax savings skimping out on it. I think mine went up $150 a year with it.
Our current house in Queens doesn't have central ac, we do have wall units for each room and we use it as needed which is only a handful of days we really needed it. Generally we like hot weather unless its more humid and hot on the island. That's why I thought we'll be able to continue without ac. But $150 is not so bad either. If you don't mind me asking how much is your electricity bill during the hot months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 09:18 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Not true. Your assessed value measures your proportional share of the taxes. It does not reflect your taxes directly. It is possible that your assessed value increases but (since your increase is less than the increase of your neighbors or since the total budget decreases) your taxes decrease. Likewise, your assessed value can decrease, but since it decreases less than your neighbors or since the budget increases (or both), your taxes increase.
- The numbers are obviously not set in stone... the 50% rule (as a good example of what actually happens with improvements) is a way to get an idea of the kind of tax increase you'll see - this is specifically what I asked the town. A moderate improvement like 25% will bring your taxes up approx. 25%, which is a big difference from 50% since we're talking thousands. This is important because the jump they're bracing for will only be 1 time. Year to year it increases but fluctuates from your neighbor's difference minimally so adjusting for others' contributions is fairly unimportant. Your example of assessed value increasing but having your tax decrease because of others' contribution - will hardly ever happen because the tax rate goes up too. At any rate, they just wanted to get an estimate of the increase they're looking at.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-02-2016 at 09:26 AM..

Old 05-02-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi View Post
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Wouldn't the assessed value of a property increase if you upgrade a basic kitchen with simple cabinets to a newer modern kitchen? The kitchen will need a new CO since we're extending it to the back so it'll be bigger.

Right now the fair market value of the property is 410,000 and the tax is about $11xxx. So if I look at properties with the same number of bedrooms, bathrooms and living space will I be able to get an idea of what the new fair market value would be after the new assessment?

We can skip the porch and CAC to keep the tax lower.
If your kitchen needs a CO, they will likely assess you for a modern kitchen whether you really do it up or keep cabinets simple. You may as well do it up at that point. I'm not sure by how much, but it's not worth NOT doing just for tax savings IMO.

Yes to doing comps to get an estimate also.

Quote:
Can you please clarify your last couple of sentences. I thought the inspection is done when everything is complete. What needs to completed for the inspection to be done? Also do we let the town know when we're ready for the inspection?
Our general contractor handled everything including scheduling and I'm only assuming you'll have one do both your patio and dormer (the only things requiring inspection). Things needed multiple inspections - the final one came the final days while they were prepping to leave. In no way was it "unfinished" at that point - I'm not even sure they allow that since things can be added after they leave. What would be the benefit of doing that since they don't exactly tally up the quality of your finishes anyway? Our guy did a 5 minute visual inspection and didn't even walk down to the basement where we had work done.

Quote:
Our current house in Queens doesn't have central ac, we do have wall units for each room and we use it as needed which is only a handful of days we really needed it. Generally we like hot weather unless its more humid and hot on the island. That's why I thought we'll be able to continue without ac. But $150 is not so bad either. If you don't mind me asking how much is your electricity bill during the hot months?
We sparingly use the CAC (maybe 3 hrs a day and not every day) and electric goes up maybe less than $50/mo. I would do it for resale value if nothing else since you're already doing work, but honestly, is it worthwhile having cool air throughout the house all at once? Not necessarily.

Also something else to look out for is side setback. We put our CAC units on the side yard (where the old units were) and during inspection they said I needed a variance for the setback from the property line. That was a PITA... throw them in the backyard instead - if only I was warned.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-02-2016 at 09:47 AM..

Old 05-02-2016, 09:32 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
So many people say this, so i believe you, but I've never even thought about getting CaC. My room A/Cs do just fine.

Incidentally, what would even be entailed in putting CaC into an old house, with a finished attic and basement with steam heat and plaster walls?
Do split systems instead. May cost a little more but it will be much better.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:41 AM

In my experience, my taxes went from 7500 to 15500. I originally got a permit for an entire 2nd floor, front porch and 2 small side extensions. I knocked the entire house down instead since the 1st floor framing was insufficient. Another thing to consider, I was denied for the tax abatement since it was over 50% construction. All work must be completed ( livable) before issued a CoC.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
My house has the central AC 24 hrs a day as soon as its 75 degrees out through Sept. If you have good windows/doors and are insulated properly the bills aren't crazy. My 2000 sqft home with 1 zone is around 75-100 more per month depending on heat waves.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:48 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Do split systems instead. May cost a little more but it will be much better.
I don't know about that. I have an older house with window units and one permanent (in wall unit) unit in my kitchen. Once the weather gets cooler I take out the units and put them in my attic. I have 5 AC's but only use 3 or 4 of them. Some rooms don't need one.

Installing a CAC would be so intrusive and take away space in my attic, basement & back yard, would require lots of duct work, be very costly and would require me to upgrade my circuit box from 100 amp to 200 amp. That is money I don't have. The only downsides to window units are that they don't look too nice and are noisy. I don't mind the noise because it is white noise to me.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I don't know about that. I have an older house with window units and one permanent (in wall unit) unit in my kitchen. Once the weather gets cooler I take out the units and put them in my attic. I have 5 AC's but only use 3 or 4 of them. Some rooms don't need one.

Installing a CAC would be so intrusive and take away space in my attic, basement & back yard, would require lots of duct work, be very costly and would require me to upgrade my circuit box from 100 amp to 200 amp. That is money I don't have. The only downsides to window units are that they don't look too nice and are noisy. I don't mind the noise because it is white noise to me.
Between central and split systems for an old plaster home I'd recommend splits. Conventional units are fine but, tend to be a pain in the neck especially as you get older and the in walle method are a good way to lose tremendous heat in the winter and are unsightly.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
In my experience, my taxes went from 7500 to 15500. I originally got a permit for an entire 2nd floor, front porch and 2 small side extensions. I knocked the entire house down instead since the 1st floor framing was insufficient. Another thing to consider, I was denied for the tax abatement since it was over 50% construction. All work must be completed ( livable) before issued a CoC.
This is another good reminder - the home improvement tax exemption for the first 8 years is very helpful if you qualify - most dormers should.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:12 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I would do the kitchen you want. They are going to be more concerned with your expanded square footage than your finishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island