Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:13 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Between central and split systems for an old plaster home I'd recommend splits. Conventional units are fine but, tend to be a pain in the neck especially as you get older and the in walle method are a good way to lose tremendous heat in the winter and are unsightly.
This is all re-confirming my instinct to stick with in-window. Yes, unsightly. But on my first floor I don't even have room for a split because i have so many windows on the first floor (plus I like my steam heat).

My electric bills are a bargain, and my gas bills are tolerable even with all the heat loss from the window ACs. I remove my bedroom A/Cs in the off season but the big monster on the first floor is permanently installed in the window.

OK - done hijacking this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:20 AM

184 posts, read 233,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
This is another good reminder - the home improvement tax exemption for the first 8 years is very helpful if you qualify - most dormers should.
I looked up home improvement tax exemption and it say market value of the improvement should not exceed $80,000. Dormer itself is more than $80,000. Kitchen extending to the back is about $30,000 without cabinets.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:47 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
NO matter how you look at it you are going to get raped on your taxes. I wanted to build up and add 450sq ft an addition of 1br and 1 bath to my 19xx sq foot home. I was looking at 3k+ a year increase. If I need a 4th bedroom at some point I will convert 1/2 my garage use my finished basement or move.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
NO matter how you look at it you are going to get raped on your taxes. I wanted to build up and add 450sq ft an addition of 1br and 1 bath to my 19xx sq foot home. I was looking at 3k+ a year increase. If I need a 4th bedroom at some point I will convert 1/2 my garage use my finished basement or move.
You're right, its crazy. The house is 1478 sf and we're trying not to exceed 2000sf and also trying to stay away from things that would increase value that's not related to living space. We have 4 adults and 2 kids so we need the space. But we plan on selling once kids are done with HS in about 13 years so I don't want a huge tax on the house as its a turnoff for buyers.

I saw a house on NHP, the second fl was extended to the back and over the garage. 2456 sqf but only $9000 property tax. We saw the house, upstairs is huge rooms and looks great. But old kitchen, bathroom and living room. I don't know how they managed to do that.

http://www.zillow.com/savedhomes/for..._fr/?3col=true

Old 05-02-2016, 12:00 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi View Post
You're right, its crazy. The house is 1478 sf and we're trying not to exceed 2000sf and also trying to stay away from things that would increase value that's not related to living space. We have 4 adults and 2 kids so we need the space. But we plan on selling once kids are done with HS in about 13 years so I don't want a huge tax on the house as its a turnoff for buyers.

I saw a house on NHP, the second fl was extended to the back and over the garage. 2456 sqf but only $9000 property tax. We saw the house, upstairs is huge rooms and looks great. But old kitchen, bathroom and living room. I don't know how they managed to do that.

http://www.zillow.com/savedhomes/for..._fr/?3col=true
What's the address for this house? That link leads to no where.

Those taxes are very low for Nassau for that much square footage. That might be a blessing in disguise. Because the square footage is already there and you can update the other rooms quietly without having to notify the town. Just get a good contractor to do the work so that there are no code related issues, just in case.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
What's the address for this house? That link leads to no where.

Those taxes are very low for Nassau for that much square footage. That might be a blessing in disguise. Because the square footage is already there and you can update the other rooms quietly without having to notify the town. Just get a good contractor to do the work so that there are no code related issues, just in case.
This is the address 1665 New Hyde Park Dr, New Hyde Park, NY 11040

Old 05-02-2016, 12:40 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
This is one of the reasons why home ownership is a bit overrated. Even after your home is fully paid off, try not paying your property tax and see how much you actually "own your home".

Old 05-02-2016, 01:12 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
That house is about 10.5 it has senior exemptions on it, it is still very low. Most homes that are lower taxes had long term owners that never pulled permits and grieved every single year. Keys to LI home ownership buy the biggest house on the biggest lot in your desired area w/ the lowest taxes. You can then redo the inside not say a word keep your low taxes while your neighbor pays 4k more than you.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:28 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
Quote:
That's the kind of house you would see on that show property brothers where they show couples homes that need work then gut it and rebuild it. That house has little to no curb appeal, needs a whole lot of work and is way over priced. In order to make that house look nice you'd have to spend at least $100k. And judging by the description of this property it looks like the agent is at a lack of nice things to say about it. She states that the house has new windows but that is only on the first floor. If you look at the bedroom pics those windows are older units from the 90's.

If you bought it anywhere near the asking price your taxes would go up due to the cost of the house.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
That's the kind of house you would see on that show property brothers where they show couples homes that need work then gut it and rebuild it. That house has little to no curb appeal, needs a whole lot of work and is way over priced. In order to make that house look nice you'd have to spend at least $100k. And judging by the description of this property it looks like the agent is at a lack of nice things to say about it. She states that the house has new windows but that is only on the first floor. If you look at the bedroom pics those windows are older units from the 90's.

If you bought it anywhere near the asking price your taxes would go up due to the cost of the house.
Upstairs rooms are BIG, we went to see it coz we wanted to get an idea how they got such big rooms and still the tax is so low. The kitchen and bathroom downstairs was dated. That's why I was wondering not renovating our ground floor bathroom and keeping the same old kitchen cabinets would help at the assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island