Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:22 AM

8 posts, read 17,706 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in Brooklyn. (A nice part if you can believe that) I am 35 year old mother of almost 2. I was staying here as long as I could due to my husbands commute. I need to move now, my son is 3.5 and will be in regular school soon. I have another child on the way. I was looking into Deer Park/Dix Hills area. I know Dix hills is better then Deer Park, however deer park I think is more afordable. Can someone help me with this? Is deer park good and how are the schools? Are there areas to avoid? I would like to be as close as possible to queens but do not want nassau county taxes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 10:47 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,473,524 times
Deer Park is good and the schools are good, too. Dix Hills is a lot more expensive.
Most of Deer Park is good... there are a couple of less-than-nice parts but, overall, Deer Park is a good place to be.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:49 AM

PS: Why not just move to Queens? If you've lived in the boros your whole life, Long Island is going to be a major culture shock to you and I don't know that you'll be very happy out here. I moved here 10 years ago and it was the worst mistake I've ever made. I'm now working on moving back... I'm probably going to move to Queens since Manhattan is no longer affordable.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:39 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Deer Park

For those who may not be familiar with Deer Park:

Deer Park is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Babylon, inside the almost right angle formed by the Babylon/Huntington and Babylon/Islip town lines in the southwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Deer Park in the Town of Babylon is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Dix Hills in the Town of Huntington (the Babylon/Huntington town line); on the east by the Hamlet of Brentwood and the Hamlet of Baywood in the Town of Islip (the Babylon/Islip town line); on the south by the Hamlet of North Babylon; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Wyandanch and the Hamlet of Wheatley Heights.

The Hamlet of Deer Park has a different border than does the "Deer Park, NY 11729" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Deer Park, NY 11729" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Deer Park and a place can have other than a "Deer Park, NY 11729" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Deer Park): places that have a "Deer Park, NY 11729" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Deer Park are in the Hamlet of Wyandanch; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Deer Park with a "Wyandanch, NY 11798" mailing address.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ac/Deer-park-ny-map.gif (broken link)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 02-03-2008, 01:41 PM

866 posts, read 4,258,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
PS: Why not just move to Queens? If you've lived in the boros your whole life, Long Island is going to be a major culture shock to you and I don't know that you'll be very happy out here. I moved here 10 years ago and it was the worst mistake I've ever made. I'm now working on moving back... I'm probably going to move to Queens since Manhattan is no longer affordable.
What is so different bewteen Long Island and Queens? Is it really that much of a culture shock?

Old 02-03-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
What is so different bewteen Long Island and Queens? Is it really that much of a culture shock?
In Queens, you can get anywhere on foot or by mass transit
On Long Island, you need a car just to buy a quart of milk.

In Queens, people are much more down to earth, enlightened, accepting, and friendly.
On Long Island, people have attitudes, they're clon-ish, in the dark, not very friendly, and not the least bit accepting.

In Queens, it takes a $2.00 subway ride to get into Manhattan.
On Long Island, it's a $10.75 LIRR ride into Manhattan and then another $2.00 for the subway. Not to mention the time factor.

Life in general.... much more opportunity, much more LIFE, a better quality of life.

There are so many reasons... if you've never lived in the boros, you can never understand what I'm talking about. There is a huge difference. A very huge difference.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:41 PM

16 posts, read 97,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
I don't think so. It really depends on the type of person you are. In my opinion Nassua is almost like an extension of Queens, but some people on long island are afraid to go into the city for some reason so it depends on who you are and what part of Long Island you live in.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:53 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,973 times
Aim for the Half Hollow Hills school district - perhaps part of Deer Park is included in it. I really don't know where the school lines area there. HHH is a good school district complete with all kinds of extras (of course the taxes reflect this).

IMHO, I'd take Dix Hills over Deer Park anyday - much better area. There are areas in Deer Park that are sketchy; overall Deer Park is less expensive than Dix Hills because the area is less desirable.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 PM

382 posts, read 1,531,671 times
What's a good neighborhood in Queens?

Old 02-04-2008, 01:58 PM

81 posts, read 350,074 times
[quote=omigawd;2714699]In Queens, you can get anywhere on foot or by mass transit
On Long Island, you need a car just to buy a quart of milk.

In Queens, people are much more down to earth, enlightened, accepting, and friendly.
On Long Island, people have attitudes, they're clon-ish, in the dark, not very friendly, and not the least bit accepting.

In Queens, it takes a $2.00 subway ride to get into Manhattan.
On Long Island, it's a $10.75 LIRR ride into Manhattan and then another $2.00 for the subway. Not to mention the time factor.

Life in general.... much more opportunity, much more LIFE, a better quality of life.

I couldn't agree with you more.I just sold my house in Nassau and I am moving bact to Bayside.Real people!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island