Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:38 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
You want to look in Bellmore ...

For those who may not be familiar with Bellmore:

Bellmore is a hamlet (unincorporated area) in the south section of the Town of Hempstead, in the central-south part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Bellmore in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Bellmore; on the east by the Hamlet of Wantagh; on the south by the East Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Merrick.

The Hamlet of Bellmore has a different border than does the "Bellmore, NY 11710" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Bellmore, NY 11710" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Bellmore and a place can be in the Hamlet of Bellmore and have other than a "Bellmore, NY 11710" mailing address): places that have a "Bellmore, NY 11710" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Bellmore are in the Hamlet of North Bellmore, the Hamlet of Merrick and the Hamlet of Wantagh.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 06:29 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,860 times
We don't have kids and aren't planning to have any in the near future, so I'm not too concerned with school districts right now. We're just looking for a reasonably safe neighborhood and a decent commute to NYC. I'll definitely check out some of the areas you mentioned. I know our price range is a little low. We'd be happy with a small cottage or a townhouse, but we realize that we might have to look at coops/condos, too.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:20 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
We don't have kids and aren't planning to have any in the near future, so I'm not too concerned with school districts right now. We're just looking for a reasonably safe neighborhood and a decent commute to NYC. I'll definitely check out some of the areas you mentioned. I know our price range is a little low. We'd be happy with a small cottage or a townhouse, but we realize that we might have to look at coops/condos, too.
In that case you'd do real well in Westbury, although surprisingly I didn't find a huge selection when I looked just now. Most listed on MLSLI are actually in New Cassel or Salisbury (which is good too, but might as well be Levittown).

From what you've said, I think your best bet would actually be Freeport near the water. A lot of old summer homes, cottages and bungalows. Very nice, well kept area with amazing seafood and bars on the Nautical Mile. Train into Penn is 40-45 minutes and transfers at Jamaica are rare. Taxes for that price range seem to be $5-$7 which is a steal for Long Island no matter how small the house. As long as you don't have to worry that the schools kinda stink, it's a real bargain.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:50 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,901 times
I would say Salisbury (Westbury).

Old 03-01-2008, 09:09 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
So do the Westbury schools get the New Cassell kids as well? I ask because my fiance were considering that town when buying a house within a year.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:20 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
So do the Westbury schools get the New Cassell kids as well? I ask because my fiance were considering that town when buying a house within a year.
Homes in Salisbury with East Meadow Schools do not share with New Cassel (Westbury).

What you want to look for is Salisbury (Westbury) with East Meadow schools. Great schools btw. On MLS search Westbury, East Meadow SD only!

Family members of mine live there and another friend I know was looking to buy there.

check GreatSchools.net to see info for east meadow SD

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 03-01-2008 at 09:44 PM..

Old 03-01-2008, 09:30 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Salisbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I would say Salisbury (Westbury).

For those who may not be familiar with Salisbury:

Previously known as South Westbury (and, in 1990, it was renamed and also combined with the part of the Hamlet of East Meadow that was in the "Westbury, NY 11590" and "Levittown, NY 11756" postal zones), Salisbury is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast section of the Town of Hempstead, in the central part of Nassau County, where the Town of Hempstead converges with the Towns of North Hempstead and Oyster Bay.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Salisbury in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of New Cassel in the Town of North Hempstead (the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line); on the east by the Hamlet of Hicksville in the Town of Oyster Bay (the Hempstead/Oyster Bay Town line) and the Hamlet of Levittown; and, on the south and west by the Hamlet of East Meadow.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/Salisbury-nassau-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Salisbury is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: most places in the Hamlet of Salisbury have a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address, but a small slice in the east part of the hamlet have a "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Old 03-01-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yes, the Hamlet of New Cassel is in the Westbury Union Free School District.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:44 AM

222 posts, read 892,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Homes in Salisbury with East Meadow Schools do not share with New Cassel (Westbury).

What you want to look for is Salisbury (Westbury) with East Meadow schools. Great schools btw. On MLS search Westbury, East Meadow SD only!

Family members of mine live there and another friend I know was looking to buy there.

check GreatSchools.net to see info for east meadow SD
Although the East Meadow S.D. has historically performed better than the Westbury schools, my understanding is that on these boards folks don't always look at the numbers, and opinions are relative.

My former boss pulled his kids out of the East Meadow school district because he felt that there was too much ESL going on there. I find that some folks here like to give the impression that if you buy a home in the westbury school district, that you are in a "less-than desirable area" and that is not the case. My point is, I have found that folks who have or can afford to do better send their kids to private schools anyway. If you are one of those people, s.d. becomes less of an issue if you're in a great location/safe neigborhood.

The Westbury s.d. is primarily made up of New Cassel students. This has driven most village residents in the s.d. to send the children to private school from middle school on. This certainly doesn't help the s.d. if the arguably more affluent/better prepared children don't attend. If you look at the more recent scores; however, you will find that the s.d. is on the rise.

The value of the area is the location, the revitalization of the down-town, the feeling that westbury village is on the come-back. This allows someone like myself, a product of private school, w/ no kids, to buy a home across the street from Old Westbury, in the $560K range as opposed to living a couple of blocks over in Jericho and paying over $700K for the same thing...my $.02...

Old 03-03-2008, 10:39 AM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Old Westbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOfWestbury View Post
This allows someone like myself, a product of private school, w/ no kids, to buy a home across the street from Old Westbury, in the $560K range as opposed to living a couple of blocks over in Jericho and paying over $700K for the same thing...my $.02...

For those who may not be familiar with Old Westbury:

Old Westbury is a village (incorporated in 1924) partly in the southeast part of the Town of North Hempstead and partly in the central-west part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the central part of Nassau County along the North Hempstead/Oyster Bay town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Old Westbury in the Town of North Hempstead and the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Village of Brookville in the Town of Oyster Bay; on the east by the Village of Brookville and the Hamlet of Jericho in the Town Oyster Bay; on the south by the Village of Westbury in the Town of North Hempstead; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights and the Village of East Hills in the Town of North Hempstead.

The Village of Old Westbury has a different border than does the "Old Westbury, NY 11568" ZIP Code postal zone (a place can be in the Village of Old Westbury and have other than an "Old Westbury, NY 11568" mailing address): places in the Village of Old Westbury that do not have a have an "Old Westbury, NY 11568" mailing address have a "Glen Head, NY 11545", "Roslyn, NY 11576" and "Jericho, NY 11753" mailing address.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island